PDA

View Full Version : Whats doing this?

Mickhippy
07-12-2007, 09:58 AM
As you can see in the pic, theres strange things happening to the lawns here lately. Its mainly Bermuda.
Its the middle of winter here (Australia) and grubs etc are out of season.

I live in an area thats probably similar to North of Florida or so. We have had some cold nights and even some frosts, but Ive never seen frost damage before!

Anyway, any ideas?

AUHort1990
07-12-2007, 10:35 AM
Bermuda going dormant. It always does that tiger stripe thing as it goes dormant.

cgaengineer
07-12-2007, 10:54 AM
Roger is 100% correct...I remember the first time I ever saw bermuda do this...I was like WTF?

gavin478
07-12-2007, 12:58 PM
I say you've got crop circles, beware!!

Yeah, It's just the grass going wierdly dormant

Eric D
07-12-2007, 01:49 PM
I say you've got crop circles, beware!!

:dancing: Like from aliens? :dancing:

Mickhippy
07-12-2007, 07:46 PM
Wow! Ok, Ive been cutting grass for over 10 years around here and I NEVER seen it do that before! Maybe due to going dormant very quickly (like shock treatment). We had some very cold mornings (worst on record or something). From low 20'c to -0'c.

topsites
07-12-2007, 08:09 PM
Same here, I have never seen that, glad the explanation was a normal one.

G.M.Landscaping
07-12-2007, 09:11 PM
Middle of winter...I must be confused . I thought everywhere went thru the same cycle's as us in the U.S. So when is your summertime?

Focal Point Landscapes
07-12-2007, 10:46 PM
I thought you were kidding , but in case you aren't , the northern hemisphere and southern hemisphere are mirror images - when we got summer , they got winter - when we got fall , they got spring .........

Americal Vet
07-13-2007, 12:15 AM
Middle of winter...I must be confused . I thought everywhere went thru the same cycle's as us in the U.S. So when is your summertime?

:hammerhead:

Sandgropher
07-13-2007, 12:27 AM

Others have cleared it up for you just so folks know our main growing season starts in november to march then lawns slow down and go on a 4 week or more cycle , we mow all year round.

So there you go Mick, Dormancy, i have never seen that in my life before.

Uranus
07-13-2007, 12:31 AM

Whirlpools flow in the oposite direction too when south of the equator.

AUHort1990
07-13-2007, 09:17 AM
Wow! Ok, Ive been cutting grass for over 10 years around here and I NEVER seen it do that before! Maybe due to going dormant very quickly (like shock treatment). We had some very cold mornings (worst on record or something). From low 20'c to -0'c.

We always get it here...every year. I always assumed bermuda grass just always looked like that everywhere as it entered dormancy. It usually starts here just after the first frost. So maybe your right about the shock treatment.

txgrassguy
07-13-2007, 11:30 AM
Mick, like others said this is just a dormancy issue.
However, provided you are interested in a smooth transition from the dormancy cycles there is a wealth of info available about fungicide applications pre/post dormancy which will greatly ease the transition.
Bayleton is one, aerify two directions while growing and about one month prior to the onset of dormancy apply the fungicide.
You will immediately notice the dormancy pattern becomes much more uniform, and spring green up occurs more rapidly as well.

hess
07-15-2007, 10:27 AM
I think little green men were looking for you

Mickhippy
07-15-2007, 07:51 PM
Thanks very much guys! Learn something new every day! At least I can tell the owners whats going on now!

Nothing will be done about it. Its happening on acreage blocks and these people will not spend money on it.

Thanks again!

HOOLIE
07-16-2007, 02:22 AM

You mean you never seen the pics of all the Aussies on the beach on Christmas Day???

Summer begins around Dec. 21 down there.

RICHIE K
07-16-2007, 07:12 AM
looks like a brain