PDA

View Full Version : Exmark Lazer HP Kaw 19 HP Power Problems

WigginsLandscaping
07-12-2007, 05:06 PM
Exmark Lazer HP 19 HP 48" Deck

Problem started today or I should say we noticed it today.

When we start up the mower and push throttle to full power it seems like it is only going about half. ( This is what is sounds like anyway.) When we engage the blades it seems very slow and under powered.

Air Filter NEW
I checked spark plugs. One had a little carbon buildup not bad the other hardly any however it did seem to be wet. I couldn't tell if it was oil or gas.

Throttle is mechanically opening all the way so not a linkage problem. I replaced both plugs. I did notice a little white smoke before the plugs were changed but not noticeable after plug change. Power did not increase at all with the change.

Engine maintained regularly and I have no problems with it at all.
598 Hours on meter. What should l look for next?

Restrorob
07-12-2007, 06:25 PM
Loosen the plug wire boots where they can be removed easily. Start the engine and with rubber handled pliers remove each plug wire one at a time to see if the engine shuts down.

I suspect it's only running on one cylinder (wet plug), Could be a dead coil or valve issue. Kawi Recommends checking valve adjustments every 300hrs. Has this been done ?

WigginsLandscaping
07-12-2007, 06:31 PM
I was thinking valve problem since it had some smoke. Valves had not been adjusted. I will take to shop tomorrow and have it gone through. I am not sure how to check the valves. I have done many times on cars and trucks but never on a mower motor. I will check the coil first but since it is recommended to have the other done anyway it wont hurt to take it in. I have another just like it with a couple of walk behinds as well so I can make do for a couple days without it. Thanks....

WigginsLandscaping
07-12-2007, 06:34 PM
Is there an online manual that would descibe the procedures for adjusting valves. If it isnt too complicated I would like to learn the process so that I can do it in the future. I do most of the maintenance on my equipment myself for time saving purposes. Thanks again.

Restrorob
07-12-2007, 07:51 PM
Will this work ? Not sure about the whole manual....

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/Kawasaki/FH/FH500VValveAdjustment2.jpg

WigginsLandscaping
07-12-2007, 08:00 PM
Thanks...I think we found our problem. I did the spark plug test. Sure enough we pulled one plug wire off no change...Replaced it pulled the other off. It died with a loud boom backfire. So fire problem..I am thinking. But while I am at I am thinking might as well pull the valve covers and check the valve. I pulled the left side cover off and push rod falls out. Needless to say I have a buddy coming over tonite to show me how to maintain the valves. Thanks for the help.

Restrorob
07-12-2007, 08:13 PM
Good deal, You may save that trip/money to the dealer.

lawnmaniac883
07-12-2007, 08:34 PM
Thanks...I think we found our problem. I did the spark plug test. Sure enough we pulled one plug wire off no change...Replaced it pulled the other off. It died with a loud boom backfire. So fire problem..I am thinking. But while I am at I am thinking might as well pull the valve covers and check the valve. I pulled the left side cover off and push rod falls out. Needless to say I have a buddy coming over tonite to show me how to maintain the valves. Thanks for the help.

Ignition coil on the dead cylinder is shot.

WigginsLandscaping
07-12-2007, 08:51 PM
So you think we may have two problems???? I hope not. We'll see in a little while for sure though. Restrorob you happen to have a sheet on the coils. I cant imagine they would be a problem but wouldnt hurt to have the information on hand.

Restrorob
07-12-2007, 09:35 PM
I pulled the left side cover off and push rod falls out

Evidently maniac didn't comprehend this part of your post.

Continue with the push-rod repair and that will most likely solve your problem.

But I do have this anyway;

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/Kawasaki/FH/FH451Through721coilTest2.jpg

WigginsLandscaping
07-12-2007, 10:46 PM
when we went to set the valves we noticed another problem. The exhaust valve spring wasnt uncompressing as the motor turned. Bad. We pulled the head expecting a bent valve however oddly the valve wasnt bent. We pulled it out of the head and it seems fine. After cleaning it a little and putting the spring back together it seems to move as it should. Obvisiously I dont have the parts and gaskets to put it back together tonite but do you suggest we go ahead and put two new valves, seals, and seats in it since we have it this far down. I cant imagine that they could cost that much but they really dont look bad. Another thing I noticed though is when compressing the spring we see the seal moving up and down. What is supposed to keep it in place. The intake seal isnt moving. I am planning on replacing the seals anyway. What do you suggest we replace on a job like this. The head is fine. Thanks again.

Restrorob
07-13-2007, 07:11 AM
I believe the moving seal (not seated correctly) may have caused the extra build-up and sticking of the valve, I performed the same job on two engines last season. Seals as you said and just clean the valves and guides up then what ever gaskets you need to re-assemble should solve the problem.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/Kawasaki/FH/FH451Through721HeadInstall.jpg

WigginsLandscaping
07-16-2007, 11:33 PM
Well we got it running again. The valve guide was messed up along with the valve. I went ahead and spent the money and bought a new head, valves, springs, ( the works on the head ) and got it going. I spent about 220 in parts and another 40 in overnight shipping. My dealer didnt have the head in stock. I talked with the mechanic there at the shop and he said we might get away without having to replace the head right away but i went ahead just to be safe. I really appreciate the help Restrorob. Although I spent a couple hundred I easily saved at the least that much more in labor. Not to mention 2 weeks down time having to wait on them to get to it. Thanks again ...It was a good learning experience for me. We also checked the valves on my other Exmark before it happened again.. :)

dvblandscaping
11-06-2007, 05:33 PM
I had that same problem. In my situation the coil packs were shot. glad everything ended up alright.