PDA

View Full Version : Tilt trailer

KTNC
07-12-2007, 05:59 PM
I'm looking at aluminum snowmobile tilt trailers 10 or 12 ft long to be basically a general purpose trailer, including ocassionally hauling my 60 inch Lazer. Is there any concern in loading/unloading a ZTR onto one of these trailers as it is tilted, as they seem to be pretty steep?

I know I could probably pick up a small utility trailer for the same price, but honestly I like the looks of these better, plus it can act as a dump bed when hauling mulch or soil...

Any thoughts would be appreciated...

seneca county snowman
07-12-2007, 06:59 PM
those trailers generally only have a 1,000 lb axle i hauled my z turn a couple of times pretty hairy loading it on steeep incline.

screensnot
07-12-2007, 07:08 PM
A full size touring snowmobile can easily be over 700lbs with a full tank of fuel. The lightest sleds are still 500lbs.

A two place trailer shouldn't have any trouble with a 60" Lazer.

fiveoboy01
07-12-2007, 07:17 PM
I still would not use a snowmobile trailer to haul a Z. Open sides, and if a strap breaks the Z is coming off the trailer.

LarryF
07-12-2007, 07:35 PM
My utility trailer is a tilt. It's 6' x 10' and made of structural steel and unlike the aluminum ones you are thinking of, mine is strong and rugged enough to carry my ZTR, but it's really klutzy driving the machine on and off. Going on, I have to have someone stand on the end so that his body weight tilts the bed down to the ground while I drive the ZTR until the front caster wheels go up on to it. After the weight of the mower is on the bed, I pull forward until the bed tilts to the horizontal position, and that happens when I'm on the ZTR, of course. And coming off, after I remove the tilt restraining pin, I back up slowly until the weight of the ZTR tilts the bed from horizontal to the incline. And then when I and the ZTR are off the trailer, the bed bangs up to the horizontal position. Like I said, it's klutzy and it's not a comfortable feeling having the bed tilt up or down while I'm on the ZTR, so I use ramps instead of the tilt feature when loading the ZTR. But I'm a homeowner, not an LCO, so I seldom have to use the trailer for transporting the mower. If I did, I'd get rid of the trailer and get another or find some way to mount a tail-gate ramp on it.

tnpete
07-13-2007, 10:24 AM
Do you have any problems with the tilt trailer trying to start tilting on its on before the back wheels f the ZTR getting on it good?
Pete

My utility trailer is a tilt. It's 6' x 10' and made of structural steel and unlike the aluminum ones you are thinking of, mine is strong and rugged enough to carry my ZTR, but it's really klutzy driving the machine on and off. Going on, I have to have someone stand on the end so that his body weight tilts the bed down to the ground while I drive the ZTR until the front caster wheels go up on to it. After the weight of the mower is on the bed, I pull forward until the bed tilts to the horizontal position, and that happens when I'm on the ZTR, of course. And coming off, after I remove the tilt restraining pin, I back up slowly until the weight of the ZTR tilts the bed from horizontal to the incline. And then when I and the ZTR are off the trailer, the bed bangs up to the horizontal position. Like I said, it's klutzy and it's not a comfortable feeling having the bed tilt up or down while I'm on the ZTR, so I use ramps instead of the tilt feature when loading the ZTR. But I'm a homeowner, not an LCO, so I seldom have to use the trailer for transporting the mower. If I did, I'd get rid of the trailer and get another or find some way to mount a tail-gate ramp on it.

markzrt1
07-13-2007, 01:10 PM
Snowmobile trailers suck hauling anything but snowmobiles. Dont do it.