PDA

View Full Version : Toro PT21 mower review

joed
07-12-2007, 08:30 PM
If anyone owns any of these units, could you share your feedback on them. How do you like them, cut quality etc. How does it compare to the 21" proline units?
Thanks

Frue
07-12-2007, 08:32 PM
Its better mulching will not last as long as the proline.

joed
07-12-2007, 11:25 PM
Frue,

Thanks for the info? You've noticed that this unit mulches better than the proline units? I thought the mulching system is the same on both?

How does the personal pace system work on this unit? Is the 3 speed tranny on the toro proline easier to use?

fritowrdo
07-13-2007, 11:15 PM
While I can not compare it to a Proline and that I am not an LCO, it has been an excellent mower for my yard.

The cut has been excellent and the power is awesome compared to my old Craftsman Eager1. Thick and wet grass have not stalled out the FJ180V engine unlike the other unit.

It starts after one push of the primer ever time and it starts on one pull when warm.

The PP system has held up too and will go as fast as I want.

If you have more questions, I will gladly answer them the best I can.

Frue
07-13-2007, 11:42 PM
Frue,

Thanks for the info? You've noticed that this unit mulches better than the proline units? I thought the mulching system is the same on both?

How does the personal pace system work on this unit? Is the 3 speed tranny on the toro proline easier to use?

The personal pace is easier to use but is plastic and will wear. I liked the briggs overhead valve 6.75 engine plenty of power. I own both overall toro proline is built better but when it came to mulching the personal pace was better. I also ran through more wheel barings in the personal pace. about 2 in two years none in 2 years in the proline.

joed
07-14-2007, 08:35 PM
fritowrdo,

Thanks for the info.

A few questions:
1. Is the bag large? Toro's website has it listed at 2 bushels. That's less than the proline unit. That might affect productivity when bagging.

2. How does the unit side-discharge?

3. Is the unit more productive than the proline 21" units?

fritowrdo
07-14-2007, 11:40 PM
fritowrdo,

Thanks for the info.

A few questions:
1. Is the bag large? Toro's website has it listed at 2 bushels. That's less than the proline unit. That might affect productivity when bagging.

2. How does the unit side-discharge?

3. Is the unit more productive than the proline 21" units?

Joed,

I have the bag but have not used it at all. I only planned on using it if there was a problem mulching but that has not happened yet. I suspect this is the same bag as the SR one since it is using the SR deck. Two bushels sounds right.

I have not side discharged either, just mulched.

My best guess on the productivity between the PT21 and the Proline would be the Proline would win as it is the complete commercial setup where the PT21 is just the key components.

As for the comments about the SR's wheels, the PT21 has the Proline wheels and my dealer pointed that out to me when I was buying it. He said as a home owner they should last the lifetime of the mower for me unlike 5 years for a typical SR unit.

I mowed last night and it was 5 days since I mowed due to travel. I fertilized 2 weeks ago and water every day. The first few weeks I usually mow every three to four days due to the rapid growth. The grass was thick and tall and the PT21 went through with no issues. The unit was working hard but never bogged down nor stalled. I would have had to mow either at half the normal swath or go realllly slow with my old Craftsman and I did not have to do this with the PT21.

LCPullman
07-15-2007, 12:23 AM
The wheels and wheel bearings on the PT21 are identical to those on the Prolines. The Kawasaki engines are the same model as well.
The Personal pace is really easy to use. You can't use the mower to help pull you up a hill though.
Productivity should be the same. Both are 21" mowers and both are relatively easy to use.
I always leave my Prolines on the 3rd gear and use the bar to vary the speed to my needs, so the 3 spd trans isn't really necessary.
As far as mulching goes, the deck on the PT21 is a new design, so it could be better at mulching.
Practically speaking, I don't think that the difference in bag size will be that noticeable.
I don't think that the deck on the PT21 is quite as tough, but still a very good deck.
I actually think that the height adjuster design on the PT21 is superior to that on the prolines, but I haven't had a chance for long term testing on that.

BTW. no comparison between the Kawasaki 6hp and the Briggs 6.75. The Kawasaki is more powerful and much better running engine.