PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

EJD Lawnpride
07-12-2007, 08:41 PM
I have the opportunity of hiring a 24yr. old with 4yr. experience in mowing,etc. Right now me and two other guys mow 122 lawns in four days. I'm thinking of hiring him now to run a crew by himself in the future. But, to pay someone 12/hr. now to just help out seems a little crazy. My goal is either have 2 crews next year or one mow crew and one landscape crew. Do I keep him now or wait to see how things work out? What would you guys do?
He worked w/us today and he is good!

GreenT
07-12-2007, 09:06 PM
On a recent thread you were asking how to get to take your company to the next level, this may be the incentive you need.

Hire him so you can be more effective at selling/getting more jobs.

BTW, 122 lawns in 4 days? Impressive even with help. That's alittle over 30 accounts per day

mcwlandscaping
07-12-2007, 09:30 PM
If you hire him now, and you find out that he isn't what you hoped for, then you won't have lost as much as if you hired him expecting something that he wasn't and then had to frantically find someone else to run the second crew. Now, you can get him acquainted to how things work at your company.

Midwest Lawn Services
07-12-2007, 10:04 PM
I agree with the previous posts. Get him aquainted with the operations side of the business and then you are able to ease him into a foreman's position.

lifetree
07-12-2007, 10:46 PM
... Hire him so you can be more effective at selling/getting more jobs. BTW, 122 lawns in 4 days ? Impressive even with help. That's a little over 30 accounts per day.

I agree, good help is always hard to find. Also, 122 lawns in 4 days seems very prouctive ... what's the average size of these lawns ?

carcrz
07-12-2007, 11:07 PM
I'd hire him now so he knows how you operate. This will also free up time to work on sales & advertising.

captken
07-12-2007, 11:21 PM
I have the opportunity of hiring a 24yr. old with 4yr. experience in mowing,etc. Right now me and two other guys mow 122 lawns in four days.
He worked w/us today and he is good!

I think 122 lawns in 4 days is bull....! Unless they are very close together and small.

As for for working today and he was good, wait until the "honeymoon" wears off, then see what he does.

122 lawn in 4 days....The most I have done in one day was about 17.

Id have to say you are full of ....you know what.

mattfromNY
07-12-2007, 11:30 PM
I agree with the others, see how he works out with you and your other employees. Maybe see if he will work part time for now, or ease him into the foreman position so you can do other things that need done for expanding the biz.
As far as what captken says, how is 17 lawns a day not possible with 3 guys?? Myself and 1 helper bang off 18-20 lawns per day with no problem, and our smallest lawns are 1/2 acre. Last Friday we crunched with minimal trimming, and did 23, Started at 8, done by 5:00.

GreenT
07-12-2007, 11:37 PM
As far as what captken says, how is 17 lawns a day not possible with 3 guys??

The OP claims over 30 per day.

That's why I made a comment on it. Sounds a bit of a stretch.

EJD Lawnpride, Can you tell us how you can get that kind of production?

captken
07-12-2007, 11:42 PM
[QUOTE=mattfromNY;1894694
As far as what captken says, how is 17 lawns a day not possible with 3 guys?? Myself and 1 helper bang off 18-20 lawns per day with no problem, and our smallest lawns are 1/2 acre. Last Friday we crunched with minimal trimming, and did 23, Started at 8, done by 5:00.[/QUOTE]

They have to be small and close together. I have an Exmark 60" a Hustler 52" a Hustler 37" walk, 2 Shindaiwa T-270 Trimmers 2 Redmax trimmers, 2 Stihl edgers and lots of accounts. But then we are thorough do everything and don't cut corners. We are a full service company, not mow, blow and go.
kenny.

carcrz
07-12-2007, 11:47 PM
Captken, is it bashing day for you or something? 2 posts in a row & nothing whatsoever constructive. Act your age!

EJD Lawnpride
07-12-2007, 11:55 PM
We cut 34 lawns today. These are 1/3 to 1/2 acre lots. We have 31 in one neighborhood alone. The other days there is drive time, but avg atleast three per/neighborhood. i can't understand how you don't cut more than 25 lawns/day. We start at 8a.m. and get done around 5 p.m. My friend has a crew just like mine, he cuts 25/day/5days. he was done his thursday route on wednesday already. he is a magician on his rider,and his work looks good. I guess we just have a system down. Usally two guys will mow,when first person is done they help weedeat or blow off property.

fiveoboy01
07-13-2007, 12:00 AM
Um, 30 lawns in a day isn't anything unbelievable with a crew of 3, provided they aren't spread out...

IMO, if the guy has 4 years of experience, I can't see how it would hurt you to hire him.

If it were me, and he was good/motivated, he'd get a raise to around 15 or so after the first couple months.

GreenT
07-13-2007, 12:11 AM
We cut 34 lawns today. These are 1/3 to 1/2 acre lots. We have 31 in one neighborhood alone. The other days there is drive time, but avg atleast three per/neighborhood. i can't understand how you don't cut more than 25 lawns/day. We start at 8a.m. and get done around 5 p.m. My friend has a crew just like mine, he cuts 25/day/5days. he was done his thursday route on wednesday already. he is a magician on his rider,and his work looks good. I guess we just have a system down. Usally two guys will mow,when first person is done they help weedeat or blow off property.

Thanks.

I'm gonna have to re-work my projections.... :confused:

captken
07-13-2007, 12:11 AM
Captken, is it bashing day for you or something? 2 posts in a row & nothing whatsoever constructive. Act your age!

Yeah, I was constructive! I said to wait until the "honeymoon" was over and see how the guy produces.

However,

1/3 acre accounts are not what I do. We are full service.
We are not mow, blow and go. We service high end residential and commercial.

My customers are not blue collar....lol...:waving:

EJD Lawnpride
07-13-2007, 07:32 AM
not all accounts are 1/3 acre. We have some that are 1,1.5,2acres. We are full service also. We mow,trim,edge,blow every week.
Monday - Projects
Tuesday - 30
Wed. - 29
Thurs. - 32
Fri. - 31

Total: 122 lawns

EJD Lawnpride
07-13-2007, 07:46 AM
Let's get back on track. How do you justify paying an extra $480+ until more work comes in? right now i bring in $2400/wk after expenses,however, with no working in winter months,and mortgage,family, to pay that extra bit would be a stretch. Is there away to write off or maybe line of credit? Until more work comes in.

MarcSmith
07-13-2007, 08:48 AM
Ken,
Blue collar money spend just the same a white collar. I had three man crews doing close to 200 homes a week. our drive radius was 5 miles from the shop... mow, blow, shrubs, and chems...mostly 1/4-1/2 acre homes.

EJ, put the kid in charge of the crew now... take yourself off he crew and begine sourcing work...Begin working up estimate son properties and submitting bids now.... try getting a foothold in some new neighborhoods.

If he is as good as you say, you really need to keep hold of him...even if it means laying off one of your laborers...laborers are a bit easier to find, crew leaders are not...

MeadowsLawnCare
07-13-2007, 02:39 PM
Every business should have training/hiring hours budgeted. Hire him, put him in charge of this current established crew and see how he does. Work on getting more business yourself and establishing your second crew. If you don't see the second crew happening just yet, let go of a laborer. Good help is and always will be hard to find.

EJD Lawnpride
07-13-2007, 07:16 PM
Thanks Marcsmith and Meadows, I hired the kid tonight. I'm putting fliers out tomorrow. You're right it is easier to find laborers. Thanks for the replies.

IN2MOWN
07-13-2007, 07:37 PM
Let's get back on track. How do you justify paying an extra $480+ until more work comes in? right now i bring in $2400/wk after expenses,however, with no working in winter months,and mortgage,family, to pay that extra bit would be a stretch. Is there away to write off or maybe line of credit? Until more work comes in.

Money spent is money earned.

Show him the ropes and get him going.

This will give you more time to do administrative things like advertising.

It sounds like a big jump, which it is, but it sounds like you are ready for it.

lifetree
07-15-2007, 10:09 PM
... If he is as good as you say, you really need to keep hold of him...even if it means laying off one of your laborers...laborers are a bit easier to find, crew leaders are not...

I'm not sure I would go with this approach, one thing we all like to see in business is a fair and ethical way of management ... to let a current laborer go just to hire a new guy isn't exactly fair, assuming the laborer that you would let go is doing satisfactory work !!