PDA

View Full Version : Are PISTOL GRIPS really that ******??

kevin11946ny
07-12-2007, 08:57 PM
I just purchased a 48" turbo force mower TORO ive read so many negative comments on pistol grips, why?

Are all pistol grips the same or do some mowers have harder to operate grips.

from posts ive read its almost 100% in favor of the t bar.

Should i change my order since i havent picked it up yet..

please give me your opinions..

ive had a tbar before and like it..

what about ecs grips??

Why is it if tbar if so favorble from everyo9ne one this site that dealers only carry pistol grips and need to make a special order for the t bar??

im confused..

plz give me your personal opinions
thanks a million!!

lawnman456
07-12-2007, 09:06 PM
i have ran both types for hours and hours

your hands get tired after all day using the grips

with the tbar you hands will never get tired. it is a way better system and is worth the more $$ in the long run

you won't reget it

don't get me wrong pistol grips are good but the t bar is soo much better

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
07-12-2007, 09:11 PM
I have no problem with pistol grips,to me itz a no brainer as for ecs grips they are the same as pistols just inverted.

TSG
07-12-2007, 09:18 PM
toro now has a split T which is much better than the old ones

Petr51488
07-12-2007, 10:11 PM
Go with the ECS.... i can work all day with them and not hurt at all.. never used pistol grips but they look like they hurt..

FinerCutslawnCare
07-12-2007, 10:13 PM
I will never you anything else but the ecs now. I was amazed on how well my hands felt at the end of the day compared to the ol' pistols!

ed2hess
07-12-2007, 10:23 PM
For guys that do a lot of trimming all day actually have some hand muscle so using the pistols is simple.......what is the big deal you only use them when you turn:hammerhead:

Roger
07-12-2007, 10:28 PM
Many of the negative comments about pistol grip handles have been echoed before in threads over the years. All anybody says is "hands hurt," but nobody says why.

I have an Exmark Viking hydro, now on the tenth season. It has pistol grips and I have never had a problem. I think the machine has cut over 6,500 lawns (.5 acre to 2 acre lots), maybe closer to 8,000, and I am the only operator. In other words it has lots of hours of service time.

Yes, the linkages are worn now and are pretty loose. But, hurting hands -- never. I have short fingers, so need to stretch to reach with the speed control at 3 or higher (not very often used). The only mark I have is a good callous on the inside of my thumb, where my thumb wraps around the handle. A callous is no big deal.

So, my question remains: What is it about pistol grip handles that makes hands hurt? What is the hurt in the hand?

Accu-cut Lawn Care
07-12-2007, 11:28 PM
I use wb's mainly to service Gated back lawns. With pistol grips, what HURTS is when you run your hands into a fence... Get the T-bar...or better yet, a hustler!

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
07-12-2007, 11:49 PM
They are wussys.

AdamChrap
07-13-2007, 12:13 AM
They are wussys.

The reason they hurt me is the angle, I am 6'2" and ride a sulky so I am pretty high up, It hurts my wrists not my hands and I guarantee you I am no wuss :weightlifter: :cool2: ECS all the way!

screensnot
07-13-2007, 01:19 AM
I use wb's mainly to service Gated back lawns. With pistol grips, what HURTS is when you run your hands into a fence... Get the T-bar...or better yet, a hustler!

That is the truth!

Many times I've smashed my knuckles on trees, decks, walls, fences. And when it gets hit, the initial reaction is to let go of that grip. This causes that side's wheel to speed up, and further crush/grind you hand against the obstacle.

Hustler's H-bar eliminates that entirely. Especially because you can let go with either hand at any time, and still have total control.

MTR999
07-13-2007, 02:37 AM
H bar, T bar, ECS, or Z bar anything that has been improved over old, doggone, archaic Pistol! carpar syndrome will visit you if you are not comfortable at first, STOP. The chronic and continuous usage of pistol is only giving you hands' problem later in life, every 8 in 10 people who use it as their front mowers end up having surgery. If the pistol is such excellent control system why Hustler changes, why exmark changes, why Gravely changes, why lesco changes, and now Bunton changes, let alone Stander. Why? #1 best selling wb in the US is eXmark ECS hydro system, why?