PDA

View Full Version : Sod

hess
07-12-2007, 09:14 PM
I need to lay some sod at my home and wounderd if you give me any tips on how to do it. Thanks

deereequipment
07-15-2007, 07:02 AM
Green side up.

deereequipment
07-15-2007, 07:07 AM
I couldn't pass that up.

Make sure you prep the area. (level it out real well).
Leave the soil a little bit "loose" so the roots can penetrate it well.
A light application of starter fert and lime is ok too.

Roll out the sod.
Pull the next roll up as tight as possible.
WHen you put down a new piece lift it and the one next to it, so they are pressed as tight against each other as possible.
As the sod sets, each section will shrink a little bit, this is why you want it tight as possible.

WHen you pick up the sod, the farm will probably give you a recommended watering sheet. STICK TO IT!

Watering sod is VERY important. It takes it a while to "take" into your existing soil, so you need to stay on top of watering it. (Don't drown it though).

Good Luck.
You are about to learn is might have been worth paying someone to lay that sod.

RAlmaroad
07-15-2007, 07:46 AM
Another thing or two to the above advise: Pick up a bag or two of topsoil and overdress the seams. This will cover any exposed roots as they begin to knit back together. If you have a riding mower. Run over it without the mower of course and roll it with the tires especiall on the seams and like said, water several times a day--you do not want it to dry our. After a week or so you can cut the water down and even further the next week. After a month to six weeks try to pick up a small piece and check to see if it is begin to embed into the soil.
You can do it.

Dotens
07-18-2007, 06:34 PM
I couldn't pass that up.

Make sure you prep the area. (level it out real well).
Leave the soil a little bit "loose" so the roots can penetrate it well.
A light application of starter fert and lime is ok too.

Roll out the sod.
Pull the next roll up as tight as possible.
WHen you put down a new piece lift it and the one next to it, so they are pressed as tight against each other as possible.
As the sod sets, each section will shrink a little bit, this is why you want it tight as possible.

WHen you pick up the sod, the farm will probably give you a recommended watering sheet. STICK TO IT!

Watering sod is VERY important. It takes it a while to "take" into your existing soil, so you need to stay on top of watering it. (Don't drown it though).

Good Luck.
You are about to learn is might have been worth paying someone to lay that sod.
I agree 100 percent. The only thing we do after we put some water on it is roll it with a lawn roller half filled with water to eliminate air pockets and to get good soil contact. Make sure you put the sod down as soon as u get it is very perishable.

desii
07-18-2007, 07:51 PM
I have a sod question, too. We have a large sod job to bid and wondered how everyone else does it. I usually bid time and material, but this is a large job and they would like a firm price. Since I'm not sure of the time it will take, I thought I'd ask you guys. The job is about 21,000 square feet and is along some recently installed paver sidewalks (we did not do the sidewalks).

Have you ever bid a sod installation by the square foot? I will take care of delivery, prep and installation.

Watering is not going to be my responsiblity.

Didn't mean to hijack this thread, but didn't see the need to start a new one.

Thanks

deereequipment
07-18-2007, 08:30 PM
I have a sod question, too. We have a large sod job to bid and wondered how everyone else does it. I usually bid time and material, but this is a large job and they would like a firm price. Since I'm not sure of the time it will take, I thought I'd ask you guys. The job is about 21,000 square feet and is along some recently installed paver sidewalks (we did not do the sidewalks).

Have you ever bid a sod installation by the square foot? I will take care of delivery, prep and installation.

Thanks

That's almost 50 pallets of sod. Do you know what you are getting yourself into. (I came up with 47 pallets to cover 21,000 sq ft).

$11750 for the sod and to lay it. ($100 per pallet of 450 sq ft, $150 to lay it).
but add in delivery, prep to the soil, fertilizer, & lime.

Dotens
07-18-2007, 10:55 PM

Thanks
we charge 1.25 per sq ft bought, delivered, and istalled sod costs .30 a square foot delivered hope this helps

hess
07-19-2007, 01:56 PM
we charge 1.25 per sq ft bought, delivered, and istalled sod costs .30 a square foot delivered hope this helps

Thanks for the info :) :)