PDA

View Full Version : Kids under 18!

JBlawncare
07-12-2007, 09:40 PM
Hey guys I know there are alot of kids on Lawnsite and I thought we should have a thread to let each other know what equipment we have, how many accounts and stuff like that. I am 15 and I have a Ferris Hydro walk DD 48", Echo SRM 261T trimmer, Stihl Br550, and a 6x10 trailer. I do 13 residential accounts weekly, 1 commercial and usually get at least 1 a week from people on vacation. Lets see what everyone else under 18 has...

Grits
07-12-2007, 09:44 PM
To bad they don't have a "Kids Under 18" forum. That would be the perfect place to put this thread.
I think there is a Kids Under 18 website, but you could get arrested if you went there.;)

ACA L&L
07-12-2007, 09:48 PM
they dont insure children. Nor do they give credit cards/credit yo minors. So how did u afford all of that expensive equip?????????and what do u pull that trailer with???????your dads truck.............Hit the books and leave this kind of work to the ones that rely on it to pay the bills. One word....taxes!

lawnman456
07-12-2007, 09:52 PM
well im 18 i have a 52 in scag 2006. i have a 32 toro for the yards with gates. im thinking about buying a ztr. have 2 back back blowers br 440 and br600. i hav 6x12 trailer and a 2500 gmc

i think i have fs 100 trimmer. i have little wonder 10 hp blower and a vac for my truck for leaves.

and yes i do pay taxes and insurance

Michael J. Donovan
07-12-2007, 09:53 PM
they dont insure children. Nor do they give credit cards/credit yo minors. So how did u afford all of that expensive equip?????????and what do u pull that trailer with???????your dads truck.............Hit the books and leave this kind of work to the ones that rely on it to pay the bills. One word....taxes!

All he said was what equipment he had...never said who bought it, how he gets it to the properties he serves, etc...maybe his dad helps him or maybe he has most of his lawns in his neighborhood and he can walk to them...I applaud him for being out there working and trying to make a buck - no need to knock that

FinerCutslawnCare
07-12-2007, 10:07 PM
Ok i am 16 and have paid for everything on my signiture except for the truck. (mom and dad are nice and bought me it new). How i got my stuff is my parents took the loan out for me, but i have all the payments come out of my account. So yes, i have bought everything myself. As far as accounts, as of right now i have 57 accounts that i mow every week...

GrassyTomm
07-12-2007, 10:34 PM

No one is forcing you to pay taxes either, my friend, so maybe you should stop reporting all of your income too. And you can also risk working without insurance, if you'd like.

JBlawncare
07-12-2007, 10:40 PM

Actually I hate guys like you because you don't know the facts and just jump to conclusions. I started with a 21" crapsman mower and I have worked my way up. I have bought EVERY piece of equipment that i have with my own money that I worked hard for. And no i don't have my own truck because i don't have my license yet but i got a good deal on a trailer and i decided to buy it. And just so you know I pay for insurance...

deere615
07-12-2007, 10:45 PM
I just turned 17 all my equipment and truck I paid for myself. Everything I paid for the day I bought it so therefore have no payments. I pay for half of my truck insurance. I have about 10 accounts plus a few I do every 2 weeks.

KS_Grasscutter
07-12-2007, 11:15 PM
I am almost 17. Have a 50" Dixon and a JX75 Deere 21". Kawi trimmer, stihl edger and stihl blower. I am going to have a Walker soon, probably a 42" MTGHS. Demoed a Navigator today, I was for the most part unimpressed, but I was surprised at how good it cut knee high bermuda (2 passes=perfect cut). For the record, I buy and pay for all my stuff, if I need a loan Dad cosigns though, to get a better rate I guess. I do not have liability insurance, but plan to get that soon. Am doing roughly 20 weekly reidentials right now, but am growing steadily.

DSLND
07-12-2007, 11:24 PM
I'm only fourteen and have paid cash for all of my equipment.

Heres the list:

Toro Z150 w/52" deck, 20hp Kohler (Bagger Coming Soon)
Toro 36" WB w/15hp Kohler, T-bar, Side Catcher
Toro 20055 Super Recycler 21"
STIHL FS 110 Trimmer (New)
STIHL FC 110 Edger
STIHL BR 550 Back Pack Blower
STIHL BG 85 Hand Blower
STIHL HS 45 Hedge Trimmer
STIHL MS 250 Saw
Craftsman Garden Tractor w/22hp Kohler, 50" Deck, 48" Plow, chains weights (Plow Tractor)

Servicing roughly twenty weekly maintenance accounts, along with a lot of hedge trimming, light landscape work, and other services.

Plan on buying a Truck Next Fall.

-Mitch-

FinerCutslawnCare
07-13-2007, 01:11 AM
wow dream cut! I seriosuly am impressed! 14 years old and u have all that. Keep it up and you will go far!
-logan

Sandgropher
07-13-2007, 01:27 AM
Its good to see the young blokes away from the computer games and such, dont forget to enjoy life as well, you are only young once. :)

jpp
07-13-2007, 12:13 PM
First I want to say the young kids get a lot of flack from us on here. So you young guys bear with us all.

Instead of giving the young kids flack why don't we mentor them instead. I am glad to see these young kids out there instead of sitting on their butts in front of the tv, computer, games or just sitting on the couch. I have two kids in our town here that I know that are doing this. I speak to them and give pointers and help in whatever way I can when they call. Some kids these days get things handed to them, but these kids are willing to work for it. I applaud you young ones for doing this and keep up the good work.

JP

Budget
07-13-2007, 01:26 PM
I hear you. ^^^^^
When i was 15 i bought my first car with my own money saved. So when i hear stories about these young guys buying equipment, reminds me of myself. My father never and i mean never paid for my insurance or cars. He saved that all up for my sisters, the boys had find their own way, his rule and got to tell you i love him for that lesson. I used this lesson on my oldest 22 year old, and he is on his own working two full time jobs, and looking for a house.

deere615
07-13-2007, 06:06 PM
I am very impressed with dream cuts too! Keep up the good work. And to jpp thanks for supporting us:waving:

DSLND
07-13-2007, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the kind words fellas, i brought back a thread with pics of all of my equipment (some old equpment) in the picture forum. Once again Thanks!:waving: :waving: -Mitch-

njsnakeman
07-14-2007, 01:25 AM
can you get commercial insurance under the age of 18?

FinerCutslawnCare
07-14-2007, 01:13 PM
^^^^^I have my dad get insurance and then i pay him for it.^^^^^

Neal0301
07-19-2007, 10:52 PM
Im 16 and all i do is trimming. Ive stuck with one aspect of yard work and i have become a professional at it. I have customers who hire me specifically to trim and edge and they mow their own grass. Thats an idea to throw out to the other young workers. Start small and expand, im working on the expand part still...lol

Pitbull05
07-20-2007, 10:21 AM
I take my hat off to all of you young folks. I turned 30 Wednesday and I wish that I had the business since you guys have when I was your age. Keep up the good work.

mike33087
07-20-2007, 11:15 PM
not to knock the thread but im 20 (not that it should matter) but do we really need a thread like this? i mean all it is; is bragging.... posts like this is what get people into trouble, " o he has that and hes 15...." makes the kid with the little 21 incher and a home depot trimmer feel like **** because he is trying to do it on his own without mommy and daddys wallet. ah w.e no one cares anyways lol thats the one think i hate about these sites, is everyone listing all their crap in their sig, who cares what ya got, its not about the equipment its about making a living and sharing the wealth of knowledge thats out there.... okay im done rambling

mike33087
07-20-2007, 11:17 PM
im kinda going with what jpp said here, but i dont think braggin about ur equip is gonna gain any respect....

TN Property Services
07-21-2007, 11:16 PM
Keep up the good work guys.
Now, one question; for the guys under 16, what do you do logistically for transporting your gear?

DSLND
07-22-2007, 12:53 PM
I posted earlier, (only fourteen) and either my mom, dad, brother, or grandma hauls me around with either my dad's Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, or my brother's S-10. It gets to be a PITA pulling up to a job site, taking the ZTR off of the trailer, unhook the trailer, lock the trailer, go service the property, call, hook trailer back up, put mower on, go to next job site and do it all again. -Mitch-

GangGreen
07-22-2007, 05:04 PM
i have a bunch of crappy craftman machines. they suck but they'll get the job done for the rest of this season, but thanks to them i will be upgrading to a trailer with a comm. 36" walk-behind. i do about 10 residentials weekly and i'm hoping to triple that for next year!

Pastaboy62
07-22-2007, 06:00 PM
Ok, I have been reading here for a while. First off, I can't believe that your relatives are that caring about your lawn business, I know I won't do that for any of my kids. I started in this business when I was 14. To transport my stuff around I had a bike trailer that I built myslef. It was really hard to pull and I busted my ass to pull that thing. Also the amount of crap I got from other LCO was insane. I could fit my 21 inch, weedwacker, and blower. Now I'm 17, with 31 lawns, an F-250 Diesel, a 5X10 trailer, 36 scag, 2 8000's, 2 redmax weedwackers, and the 21 troy bilt that i started with, and a route no more than a 3 mile radius...I'll post some pictures of that bike trailer later.

Ben

lifetree
07-22-2007, 06:55 PM
All he said was what equipment he had...never said who bought it, how he gets it to the properties he serves, etc...maybe his dad helps him or maybe he has most of his lawns in his neighborhood and he can walk to them...I applaud him for being out there working and trying to make a buck - no need to knock that

Yeah, nothing wrong with working and trying to make an honest living ... no matter what age you are !!

hess
07-22-2007, 11:15 PM
Thats what worng about this site alot of bashing. You have young kids who want to do this job and make an honest money and try to do it the right way! It's hard to start with new equipment or work with no insurance etc.I was down that road myself took a chance with no insurance when i had money coming in that was the frist thing i got. Then little buy little i had my own toy's there not big boy toy's but they do the job till i get something better. Any body can do this job but it take's alot of of money to get started. You have to start at the bottom and work your way up!! Good luck young guy's!!

Kid With A Mower
07-25-2007, 01:35 AM
I'm 15, I own a Exmark Metro 36"/12hp, Echo SRM-210 trimmer, Echo PB-403T back pack blower, and a Stihl MS-310 chain saw and a bunch of hand tools. I mow 7 lawns in my neighborhood. Next year when I can drive I plan on expanding my services further and plan on adding new/better equipment. Congrats and good work to all the other young guys on here.

Reliable Lawns
07-26-2007, 12:17 PM
Ok i am 16 and have paid for everything on my signiture except for the truck. (mom and dad are nice and bought me it new). How i got my stuff is my parents took the loan out for me, but i have all the payments come out of my account. So yes, i have bought everything myself. As far as accounts, as of right now i have 57 accounts that i mow every week...

Very Good Job!!!

martinfan06
07-26-2007, 04:03 PM
Actually I hate guys like you because you don't know the facts and just jump to conclusions. I started with a 21" crapsman mower and I have worked my way up. I have bought EVERY piece of equipment that i have with my own money that I worked hard for. And no i don't have my own truck because i don't have my license yet but i got a good deal on a trailer and i decided to buy it. And just so you know I pay for insurance...

:weightlifter: :weightlifter: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :weightlifter:

SEALAWNMANAGEMENT
07-26-2007, 11:25 PM

Whats wrong with these kids working. I don't think they are going to take enough business to hurt anyone.

DillonsLawnCare
07-27-2007, 11:04 PM
im 14 years old and i have about 13 accounts now. i started last march with a tractor and a push mower. ive made my way up to waht i have now(in my signature). i only offer lawncare so i dont have all this stuff everyone else has. thanks for making this thread. i think kids like us should get more respect than we are recieving. i thank all you guys that back us up. it means alot to me and to everyone else under 18. thanks.!!!!!

hess
07-27-2007, 11:08 PM
RESPECT is a seven letter word that you earn !!