PDA

View Full Version : Clean Up after mowing

WannabeLawnMan
07-12-2007, 09:50 PM
Okay, I have done a little searching and have not found exactly what I am looking for. Recently, I have had some customers not complain.... but just mention they would like to see better clean up after mowing. We have had a boat load of rain and grass is of course growing like crazy, so when I mow, trim & edge.... there is quite a bit of grass clippings that will fall onto the street, curb, sidewalk, etc. I use my blower to try and blow everything into the best pile I can and then I sweep it up and either bag it or throw it in the home owner's trash cans. But there really isn't anyway to get it perfectly clean. I could spend 45 minutes manually sweeping the sidewalks and curbs and what not, but who can afford to do that. I am using a little Toro 22" Mower. It's a mulcher and I have recently sharpened the blade. So short of bagging every customers house, I am at a loss. What do you guys do? How do you respond to this type of feedback? My blower will also vacuum.... should I be vacuuming up the overage??? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

captken
07-12-2007, 10:33 PM
Do you pay taxes? Are you insured? I don't mean your vehicle. Do you have insurance on your business? Are you working for beer money for the weekend?
Are you putting your self through school? So that you don't have to do this forever? Are you providing insurance for your employees? I could go on.

What is your angle? Live at home with parents? Wannabe man?

carcrz
07-12-2007, 10:43 PM
captken, take it easy on the guy

Just curious though, if it's a mulching mower, how are you even getting anything on the surfaces? Every mulcher I've used dropped it right underneath me when I was cutting, unless I came off the curb & knocked it loose. But, I've never used any push mowers for commercial use either.

If it's wet grass that I'm cleaning up from side discharge, I've found a backpack blower works the best. If needed, I use my handheld @ the same time; I.e. tube in the right & handheld in the left.

GrassyTomm
07-12-2007, 10:48 PM
A blower can do a much better job than 45 minutes of sweeping can.

captken
07-12-2007, 10:48 PM
captken, take it easy on the guy.

Sorry, I can get carried away. I have bills to pay and after that I have guys who depend on me to pay them so that they can pay their bills....feed their family, you get the drift....
kenny

I wish for a professional forum.

fiveoboy01
07-12-2007, 10:56 PM
I don't get it either.

He should be able to blow the excess back onto the lawn, if there are clumps on the lawn use the blower to break them up...

21" mulchers and tall grass don't work well together.

WannabeLawnMan
07-12-2007, 11:05 PM
CaptKen, I am not sure what "I wish for a professional forum." implies, but I appreciate any and all feedback. Yes, I am licensed and pay taxes. No, I am not insured. As you may have encountered, in my state you must be self-employed a given length of time before most reputable insurance companies will write you. In my case this is two years. I am a newbie, so the "Wanna be" name was just something I thought would be funny. But I am a professional and do look to other professionals in the business for advice. I know there are a lot of fly by nighters out there..... I don't aim to be one of those. I aim to be reputable and legit. No hard feelings.

As far as the mower, I am a newbie starting out and don't quite have the 9K for the Walker yet and have not built my accounts up yet to invest in something bigger. So for now I use a little TORO Self-Propelled job. Works well. But, everything says Mulching mower. The blade is a mulcher, the deck is a mulching deck and the blade was just sharpened. Yet, if you tip the mower back (front wheels off the ground) to turn or pivot it will throw grass. Grass is dry so slightly damp in some cases. Are you saying this is not right?? Do any of you guys have to sweep afterwards? When using a blower, where are you blowing it too? My customers today seemed to be comment on not wanting it blown in the street.

Thanks again for the help and feedback.

carcrz
07-12-2007, 11:14 PM
If you want it to look like the homeowner did it themselves, blow it in the street. No pros sweep, that's why they make blowers for blowing the grass back onto the lawn.

I wasn't knocking your equipment, but you definitely don't want to be mulching around our area when it has been raining almost 5" a week all year. What height are you cutting at? You might try raising the height to the highest point & then going over it a second time to get it to regular height. You might also need to adjust your schedule to include more frequent visits so you don't have so much to cut off at one time. Make sure you are charging accordingly for any add'l work involved.

You could also just give them my number. :laugh: Never hurts to ask. :waving:

GreenT
07-12-2007, 11:19 PM
Do you pay taxes? Are you insured? I don't mean your vehicle. Do you have insurance on your business? Are you working for beer money for the weekend?
Are you putting your self through school? So that you don't have to do this forever? Are you providing insurance for your employees? I could go on.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Priceless!

WannabeLawnMan
07-12-2007, 11:23 PM
Well I typically cut it down to about 2.75" on the fescue I got. I got a few customers where its really all weed.... those I just mow. But with the rain, etc. that we have had, when I get to the account for the week the lawn could be sitting at 4".... Not to sound too new, but supposedly only wanting to cut a 1/3 of the grass length at a time... that should be doable. 4" length then I mow it to about 2.5-2.75". I guess my mower is just a little underpowered for that 1.5" cut of grass and that is why it doesn't come off the grass clean when I hit concrete. Its that over throw of grass that gets me on clean-up.

Thanks for the help

carcrz
07-12-2007, 11:35 PM
Your height could be part of your problem. You should be cutting at 3.5 - 4" regularly - 3.5 in the spring & 4 when it's hot out. I typically always cut @ 4" year round though. If you can afford to do it, you might want to switch to a side discharging machine.

What mower are you using?

captken
07-12-2007, 11:39 PM
Well I typically cut it down to about 2.75" on the fescue I got. I got a few customers where its really all weed.... those I just mow. But with the rain, etc. that we have had, when I get to the account for the week the lawn could be sitting at 4".... Not to sound too new, but supposedly only wanting to cut a 1/3 of the grass length at a time... that should be doable. 4" length then I mow it to about 2.5-2.75". I guess my mower is just a little underpowered for that 1.5" cut of grass and that is why it doesn't come off the grass clean when I hit concrete. Its that over throw of grass that gets me on clean-up.

Thanks for the help

Sorry for being a horses azz. These are beginner questions. I see you are near Olathe. See my brother at Olathe Toyota. He is part owner, Kelly Thomas. Tell him I thrashed you on lawnsite, I bet its good for a couple hundred off the purchase price of a Toyota of your choice.
sincerly,
kenny, aka, captken.

Tom c.
07-13-2007, 06:28 AM
CaptKen, I am not sure what "I wish for a professional forum." implies, but I appreciate any and all feedback. Yes, I am licensed and pay taxes. No, I am not insured. As you may have encountered, in my state you must be self-employed a given length of time before most reputable insurance companies will write you. In my case this is two years. I am a newbie, so the "Wanna be" name was just something I thought would be funny. But I am a professional and do look to other professionals in the business for advice. I know there are a lot of fly by nighters out there..... I don't aim to be one of those. I aim to be reputable and legit. No hard feelings.

As far as the mower, I am a newbie starting out and don't quite have the 9K for the Walker yet and have not built my accounts up yet to invest in something bigger. So for now I use a little TORO Self-Propelled job. Works well. But, everything says Mulching mower. The blade is a mulcher, the deck is a mulching deck and the blade was just sharpened. Yet, if you tip the mower back (front wheels off the ground) to turn or pivot it will throw grass. Grass is dry so slightly damp in some cases. Are you saying this is not right?? Do any of you guys have to sweep afterwards? When using a blower, where are you blowing it too? My customers today seemed to be comment on not wanting it blown in the street.

You dont need 9k for a mower. It sounds like your cutting the grass too short I agree with the guy who said cut at 3,5-4 in. especially in the heat! Plus your toro homeowner mower has too slow a blade speed to mulch long grass thats why your getting clumps. You should try to get a 36in. W/B with a bagger it has a better blade speed and will knock out lawns faster! The faster blade speed will chop the grass finer so it will drop down between the grass blades! I use a bagger in the spring when it grows too fast. Look at:w a quick 36 theyre very reasonably priced! Good Luck:waving:

nobagger
07-13-2007, 09:05 AM
WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!! I find it very hard to beleive an insurance company will not write you a policy. I have never heard of this, sounds a little too far fetched to me. As far as clean up we have a Little Wonder HPV we use, about 3.5 seconds and its all clean up.

kpyoung
07-13-2007, 09:06 AM
You stated in your post that you have problems throwing grass when you hit the concrete. Try circling the yard first, that way when you get to the end of each run you do not have to get on the concrete, just turn the mower around in the area that you already cut while circling. If you are turning your mower around on the concrete, I bet you are leaving green wheel tracks also. (these are really hard to clean-up)

I know that with my 21" mulching mower, if I circle the property with the concrete or road on the right side of the mower then it seems to sling less grass which must be cleaned up.

When you are finished mowing, take your blower and blow all grass clipping back into the yard. You may have to run the edge of the property again with your mower to get rid of the clippings which you just blew into the yard.

I use a mulching 21" mower on several properties and these method works for me.

One other trick...if there is already leaves or grass on the road in front of the property, blow this into the yard first before you start mowing. This way while mowing you can mulch this crap up also.

One more then I'm done...if you are mulching tall grass and are leaving what I call windrows, then you have a couple of options. You can either use your blower to spread then about or raise you deck about 1/2" and go back over the yard.

Good luck!!

LONEMAN
07-13-2007, 09:18 AM
As far as the mower, I am a newbie starting out and don't quite have the 9K for the Walker yet and have not built my accounts up yet to invest in something bigger. So for now I use a little TORO Self-Propelled job.

You don't need to spend thousands on a new mower. Pick up a used walk behind for a couple hundred. I bought all three of my WB's for under $500 and they all deliver a great quality of cut and are easy to maintain. You also want a good backback blower that won't put a hole in your wallet. I have two Echo blowers that I picked up for around $200 each. You don't need to put an hole in your wallet in order to have a successful business.

Pro-Scapes
07-13-2007, 09:29 AM
captken, take it easy on the guy

Just curious though, if it's a mulching mower, how are you even getting anything on the surfaces? Every mulcher I've used dropped it right underneath me when I was cutting, unless I came off the curb & knocked it loose. But, I've never used any push mowers for commercial use either.

If it's wet grass that I'm cleaning up from side discharge, I've found a backpack blower works the best. If needed, I use my handheld @ the same time; I.e. tube in the right & handheld in the left.

My guess is he is walking onto the hard surfaces to make his turns... He should be outlining the lawn before making his straight rows thus not goingon the hard surfaces while cutting. We rarly have to blow grass clippings on sidewalks... usually just leaves or other debris thats blow in.

bodisatvah
07-13-2007, 09:46 AM
i too am new. my original insurer dropped me because i did not have 2 years of continuous operation. (that was nationwide insurance, btw). so, i had to pick up insurance from a no-name carrier. it's almost twice as expensive but at least i'm insured now. i know if i went un-insured some dumb fluke would happen causing 50K in damage. i'm insured for 1mill per instance...why? because that's how i roll....cya.

MeadowsLawnCare
07-13-2007, 01:31 PM
Yeh i used to make that same mistake when i started mulching. If you are striping a lawn which you should be (not going in a square, instead back in forth each row) you tend to want to turn around on the concrete which will drop the uncut mulch on the sidewalk. I fixed that by outlining the entire lawn first, then making my passes, then going back over my original outline. Really makes a nice cut for me with minimul cleanup.

South Florida Lawns
07-13-2007, 05:42 PM
I try not to blow it into a pile, rather just blow it back onto the yard, and if there is too much on the lawn take the blower and go over the thick areas till the grass disperses.

I never ever bag grass clippings especially St. Augustine grass. too much work.

IN2MOWN
07-13-2007, 05:46 PM

Not to sure where you got your info from but thats not true. Any reputable company will write you when you first start. The first year I was in business I was insured by State Farm to the tune of $1,000,000.00.

I am in the process of switching companies and Ill be more the happy to give you the guys name. He is with Farmers.

IN2MOWN
07-13-2007, 05:48 PM
Your height could be part of your problem. You should be cutting at 3.5 - 4" regularly - 3.5 in the spring & 4 when it's hot out. I typically always cut @ 4" year round though. If you can afford to do it, you might want to switch to a side discharging machine.

What mower are you using?

Thats pretty tall for fescue. It would also allow the blades to stay wet longer when watered which in turn would invite fungus in.

I cut at 2.75 to 3 in the spring and summer and 2 in the fall and winter.

Vikings
07-13-2007, 06:08 PM
I am using a little Toro 22" Mower. It's a mulcher and I have recently sharpened the blade. So short of bagging every customers house, I am at a loss. .
Those 22" Recyclers only come with a Finned blade and they cannot mulch thick grass. I got one and I know this. You also cannot buy a normal high lift blade for them.
I also have 21" Super Recycler, on that machine I have a normal high lift, same HP engine but it mulches much MUCH better.

What we did was put a bag on the 22 inch because it simply cannot mulch. It leaves a huge mess so you might as well bag because the lawn will look much better and there is NO clean up.

I also have a 36" 15 HP toro with mulch kit and it does a true mulch job very well.

I tried to give up bagging this year but I went back and started bagging back yards that I can't fit the 36 into. It has saved me lot's of head aches.

Stillwater
07-13-2007, 09:28 PM

Tell me Do you pay taxes? Are you insured? Prove it right now.....you are just a angry man.

Stillwater
07-13-2007, 09:30 PM
blow the grass back onto the lawn and ingnore users and loosers like captken

jrush
07-13-2007, 10:41 PM
not everyone can be born knowing everything like those whom have wise a$$ coments, this is an informational website, listen to the guys who are responding with good info and ignore the guys who forgot how they started. Blow it onto the lawn and try double cutting until you get enough clientel and $ to step up into commercial equip. Def set blades higher. Good luck!

captken
07-13-2007, 11:48 PM

There are questions the insurance underwriter will ask. How long have you done this, number of employees, your payroll, do you have a safety program, How much you made last year.

I have insurance with Travelers. You can get insurance someday if not today. I doesn't hurt to try. Just be prepaird to answer the questions they ask CORRECTLY.
kenny.

P.Services
07-14-2007, 12:09 AM

you seem to have one huge ego or a big chip on your shoulder. list off some of your equipment just for kicks.would you rather have this kid out trying to make a lick or rassin hell on your street.

captken
07-14-2007, 12:13 AM
this is an informational website, listen to the guys who are responding with good info

Read this sticky. There is a place for this type question and it ain't here.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=170319

Pretty soon the blind will be leading the blind here...lol:laugh: if the rules do not apply.

kenny.

captken
07-14-2007, 12:14 AM
you seem to have one huge ego or a big chip on your shoulder. list off some of your equipment just for kicks.would you rather have this kid out trying to make a lick or rassin hell on your street.

Use the search feature. Find out for yourself. Search for post I started or those I responded too. Go back to 4 years ago when I first started posting.

thesargent
07-14-2007, 12:55 AM
well dude, it might be worth your time to bag it all while its growing so much and wet. ive found that its actually quicker to bag it and go full speed than to try and mulch and go slow, and then end up with a big messy lawn full of turf turds that you then have to blow to smithereens. or get a nice used 36 or bigger w/b. that was the best business move i ever did, upgraded to a 36 inch w/b. my 2 pennies.

Grits
07-14-2007, 01:48 AM
Read this sticky. There is a place for this type question and it ain't here.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=170319

Pretty soon the blind will be leading the blind here...lol:laugh: if the rules do not apply.

kenny.

Even though captken comes across a little harsh sometimes, he is right. This thread was posted in the "Commercial Forum" when it should be in the "Starting Up" Forum.
Of course, this site has moderators and they probably should move this one. But they are probably busy deleting posts that aren't P.C. with them.

lawnjockey56
07-14-2007, 05:42 AM

what an ass

IN2MOWN
07-14-2007, 06:22 AM
Use the search feature. Find out for yourself. Search for post I started or those I responded too. Go back to 4 years ago when I first started posting.

Great! 4 years of crap!

Stillwater
07-14-2007, 08:33 AM
ya the guy is prolly goin under and he feels a need to attact the new guy he prolly treats his wife the same

abcfamily
07-14-2007, 04:07 PM
I have two Toro Super Recyclers and know when the customer only wants to pay for one mowing a week and the grass is growing fast that it can be a real pain walking at a snails pace to get a nice looking cut. And they want it cut at 2.5" - 3" so it looks better longer. Many times I'm cutting 2"+ at a time.
I also sometimes bag to complete the yards quicker. And increased the rpm's on the motor for a better mulch cut. (you will use much more gas by doing this though) This year I purchased a 2005 TTHP 36" walk behind which has made things easier (before the drought) but I will still go back over some areas to spread out the clippings. Try fluid film or mo-deck to keep clipping build up to a minimum.

captken
07-14-2007, 08:28 PM
ya the guy is prolly goin under and he feels a need to attact the new guy he prolly treats his wife the same

hahaha:)

We are in different leagues.

I hate to see a great forum diluted to what it is today.

There is a place for these type questions, it isn't here. Most of these guys will not use the search feature to access the archive. Seems to me they want to be spoon fed answers.

Pretty soon the blind will be leading the blind because people with experience and knowledge to share get turned off by the sameness of the new posts.

My growth has been exponential. I have no need to attack a new guy, he does not compete with me, I think these type questions belong in the proper place, for beginners.

I think this is a place for professionals to share knowledge and experience with one another.

I think questions like this guy posted belong here. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=170319

Maybe he and others should follow the forum guidelines.

I wish the moderators would step in from time to time to move these type questions to the proper place.

What do you think?

ps. the spell check is free and easy to use. lol
kenny.

packer101
07-14-2007, 08:37 PM
we blow it right back into the lawn... it disapears

lawnjockey56
07-14-2007, 08:55 PM
There are questions the insurance underwriter will ask. How long have you done this, number of employees, your payroll, do you have a safety program, How much you made last year.

I have insurance with Travelers. You can get insurance someday if not today. I doesn't hurt to try. Just be prepaird to answer the questions they ask CORRECTLY.
kenny.

the guy ripping others about spell check writes " I doesn't hurt to try" and then spells prepared "prepaird" practice what you preach captain kangaroo

lawnjockey56
07-14-2007, 08:58 PM

Another classic spell check miss-putting? thats golf-I think you mean puting.

fiveoboy01
07-15-2007, 01:51 AM
hahaha:)

Most of these guys will not use the search feature to access the archive. Seems to me they want to be spoon fed answers.

Winner right there.

I almost NEVER post a new thread to ask a question. Why, cause I hit the search button first. There is NOT a single question you could possibly have that hasn't already been answered here. Of course sometimes I'm too lazy to search so I have it out with the "new thread" button, but that's rare.

A lot of crap could be eliminated if people just used the search function. I'm not against new threads, but the "What's the best trimmer" or "What's the best commercial Z for under 2K" type of questions get real repetitive.

Stillwater
07-15-2007, 01:56 AM
you don't mean questions like should I be useing red or green trimmer line?

Ramairfreak98ss
07-15-2007, 02:22 AM
i once was in your position :) If there is a huge mess left over, try cutting the grass taller... some customers will ***** because they want it SHORT.. they can also pay for a bagging service to cut it THAT SHORT then...

Are you using a blower? Get yourself a backpack, even a little 30-40cc echo from lowes or home depot or a home owner redmax from a local lawnmower shop for $200-300 will save you a ton of hassle.

jrush
07-15-2007, 02:44 AM
seems to me captken is to good for this website, nothing but bashin' and alot of sh*t talk from his end. If your that good start your own site and you and the other 1 or 2 guys that know everything can make each other feel right at home with your b.s.

Stillwater
07-15-2007, 03:10 AM
Hey Wannabelawnman... If you were near me I would "give" you a blower I must have 12 of them around hear I have a ratty one that works. I don't mind helping out a new guy. I remember how it was, these little issues were really a big deal way back when. Unfortunately it wouldn't't be worth the shipping. hit a want-ad book or your local paper for one hey even the home-despot :) what ever you do get away from hand sweeping and cut higher. You could "respectfully" explain to your customer the need to cut higher and that their mow price is based on labor and cutting time involved

swingset
07-15-2007, 07:20 AM
<snip>
I wish for a professional forum.

Then start one instead of crapping all over people in THIS one.

Buy the software, rent the server space, set up the rules, demand that only professionals you like and agree with have an account, and spend your days administering your little corner of heaven.

Otherwise, skip the questions on this site that bother you, ignore the posts you don't think are professional enough, or find somewhere else to troll.