PDA

View Full Version : Prevent Bermuda from spreading in Fescue

mikegbuff
07-12-2007, 11:32 PM
Three questions:
1) Are any of you guys anal about using the same equipment on Fescue and Bermuda properties? Do you worry about the Bermuda clippings on the equipment containing seed that could germinate in a real nice Fescue lawn? I try to clean the equipment some after each mowing, but you know you can't get it all.
2) Also, when I dethatch a Fescue lawn in the fall that has some scattered Bermuda showing, am I risking spreading Bermuda over the entire yard by dragging the thatch throughout the yard?
3) I usually roundup (2-3 times to be sure of kill) any Bermuda in Fescue around mid August. I then reseed Fescue in these spots in late September. Is this the best practice, or would you just not worry about spraying the Bermuda and hope overseeding of the Fescue causes germination enough to fight off the Bermuda until late the next summer? It seems like I'm in an endless cycle killing Bermuda and reseeding Fescue each year.

Thanks.

dave k
07-14-2007, 10:42 PM
Well its a losing battle, I have Emerald Green Zoysia for my personal lawn and the bermuda comes up every where and I'm sick over it and have given up, I have used Fusillade II but it only controls it and by time the Zoysia recovers the Bermuda is back, I've even used round up and it comes back, lots of luck.
You won't spread it by using it on your mower at least I wouldn't think so.

mikegbuff
07-17-2007, 12:47 PM
Come on guys, some of you who work with fescue have to be dealing with these issues or have knowledge of the problem.
Thanks!

mhussey
07-17-2007, 04:24 PM
Dave K is correct! You are fighting a losing battle. I had a small patch to come in to my fescue and then it spread to a large patch. I killed it with roundup 3 times, tilled it up, raked it out, then overseeded. Looked good from fall to spring. Then as soon as summer came here it came back again, with a vengeance.

I am like Dave, I have just give up. I really don't know what else to do, other than just have a Bermuda lawn, and I hate Bermuda grass with a passion.

mhussey
07-17-2007, 04:28 PM
Forgot to mention that NC State University web site has a couple of ways to get rid of Bermuda in Fescue lawns. Note that I didn't try their technique when trying to rid Bermuda from Fescue. Hope this helps.

Here is the link.

http://www.turffiles.ncsu.edu/

mikegbuff
07-17-2007, 04:35 PM
I understand the losing battle and accept that. I just want to make sure I'm not making it worse. Can it spread and be worse from what I mentioned above? I know it spreads and the areas get bigger where it's already established, but can I spread it to other locations by means of transferring Bermuda clippings via equipment or transfer it to other parts of the yard by dethatching? I know how easy it can be introduced to a property (even by bird poop I hear) so I assume equipment used on fescue and bermuda both can spread the seedlings?
Thanks.

mikegbuff
07-23-2007, 11:55 AM
Can anyone give any further information on whether I am in danger of spreading Bermuda in Fescue by dethatching or using the same equipment on both types of grass?

Thanks.

haro1997
07-27-2007, 05:40 PM
I have always thought Bermuda can spread via equipment and dethatching if you are dragging around thatch from various parts of the property. Anyone else agree or disagree? I'd be interested to hear others' opinions.

anfofreak
08-23-2007, 03:11 PM
I have use a product called Turflon Ester. It states that it is for "suppression" of Bermuda Grass. My Bermuda was too out of control, so I had to hit it with Roundup. Make sure the Bermuda is not dormant when you spray it.

PLM-1
08-23-2007, 03:19 PM
I have use a product called Turflon Ester. It states that it is for "suppression" of Bermuda Grass. My Bermuda was too out of control, so I had to hit it with Roundup. Make sure the Bermuda is not dormant when you spray it.

Bingo. Turflon works quite well. I spray it once a month on a yard I have where it was pretty thick. It's nearly gone now. I've had really good luck with it. I used it in my yard last year, my Bermuda hasn't come back, even though it is supposedly just a suppressant.

mikegbuff
08-23-2007, 03:48 PM
Can you get this product at Lesco?

PLM-1
08-23-2007, 04:14 PM
Don't know why you couldn't.