PDA

View Full Version : Fert/Pest Questions

logo29a
07-13-2007, 09:07 AM
Hi all. I'm a new homeowner and have gotten seriously bitten by the lawn bug. I've done as much general lawn care reading as I can online, and have started coming up with more advanced questions.

The main questions I've developed are in regards to knowing exactly when, how often, and which fertilizer to use throughout the year. The recommendations on the bag are usually to general and don't take into condition the soil type, grass, type, etc. Where is the best place to learn about these things? I suppose I should start with my own lawn by getting a good soil test. What should I look for in a tester and how much should I expect to pay?

I guess the biggest and most important question for me is what are the best resources for learning about grass variety, soil types, fertilization, pesticide, etc.?

ProMo
07-13-2007, 10:17 AM
contact your county extension http://www.homeimprovementmag.com/Articles/2006/06Mar_malta_offices.html

logo29a
07-13-2007, 11:06 AM
Thanks ProMo. I'll definately give them a call. Are there any good books or online resources that go into a little bit more specifics aside from what you'll find on lowes and homedepots websites?

Thanks again.

M.C.L.C.
07-13-2007, 06:53 PM
you could always ask your extension office if you could purchase the books you need to study for the chemical applicators test. Those are very helpful and there will be many types. Not sure if they will cover WHEN to fertilize but they will cover how much and yada yada. If you have a local lesco dealer in your area they are usually very helpful people and will let you know exactly when and how much to fertilize.