PDA

View Full Version : mowing sod?

Fleming Lawn Services
07-13-2007, 11:46 AM
Just curious to know how long should one wait before mowing sod, it was recently put in a week ago and they want it cut already, is it safe to use a walk behind on it or should i just use a push mower?

lawnmaniac883
07-13-2007, 12:10 PM
If they just put it in a week ago then explain to the customer that their sod needs to become rooted before you cut it. Grab a piece of it and try to pull up on it and see if it comes up or not. People dont know any better, sod should be cut no sooner than 2 - 3 weeks.

Quiky One
07-13-2007, 12:11 PM
I cut my sod about 4-5 weeks after with a push mower. Any sooner and it tore up the grass turning.

cpel2004
07-13-2007, 12:12 PM
Amen brother!

BQLC
07-13-2007, 12:32 PM
I would make them aware of the fact that if you cut it before it has rooted that it will do more harm than good
I would wait at least 2 1/2 - 3 weeks before i cut and then use a 21 to cut it if possible

acm8705
07-13-2007, 12:35 PM
I always wait as long as possible. Let the grass get really long and thick. This helps the grass hold moisture by preventing the sun from drying out the dirt.

The first cut should also be as high the mower will cut. Gradually lower the cut over about 3 weeks.

After laying over 300 pallets in a year I've found this to be the best method.

GreenN'Clean
07-13-2007, 01:28 PM
I usually wait 2-3 weeks to cut sod after it is installed

BobcatZT
07-13-2007, 01:31 PM
Should wait as long as possible, but no sooner than 3 weeks.

americanlawn
07-13-2007, 05:04 PM
Ditto. We've all seen homeowners with new sod let it grow so tall that even sheep would have a hard time eating it all down...... BUT, these newly sodded lawns that are tall survive the heat. If I had new sod, I would be tempted not to mow it at all until fall, cuz I've seen the results of homeowners thinking "they need to keep it mowed", and it ain't pretty. "Lawns that are mowed short can be as much as 20 - 30 degrees hotter at the crown of the plant than lawns that are mowed high" (Iowa State University). I prefer grass to be green -- not brown. Cool season turf always suffers during the summer, so why mow it when it's better not to? In fact, NO plant prefers to have its "natural height" to be reduced (tree/shrub/grass/etc). I mow my lawn at four inches during summer drought.

Quiky One
07-13-2007, 05:23 PM
Ditto. We've all seen homeowners with new sod let it grow so tall that even sheep would have a hard time eating it all down...... BUT, these newly sodded lawns that are tall survive the heat. If I had new sod, I would be tempted not to mow it at all until fall, cuz I've seen the results of homeowners thinking "they need to keep it mowed", and it ain't pretty. "Lawns that are mowed short can be as much as 20 - 30 degrees hotter at the crown of the plant than lawns that are mowed high" (Iowa State University). I prefer grass to be green -- not brown. Cool season turf always suffers during the summer, so why mow it when it's better not to? In fact, NO plant prefers to have its "natural height" to be reduced (tree/shrub/grass/etc). I mow my lawn at four inches during summer drought.

Thanks for that quote of info. Good to know. I cut my lawn at 4" all year and just cut it more often. If the grass is healthier 45 minutes of my time isn't hard.