PDA

View Full Version : Best way to add front weight to a ZTR

PBinWA
07-13-2007, 01:25 PM
I just bought a Ferris 1500Z and it's a little light in the front end for some of the hills I'd like it to climb.

I was thinking of adding fluid to the front wheels but I'm not sure if that is going to cause gouging.

Would it be better to just bolt some weight on the front? I was thinking of sticking a gallon or two of windshield washer fluid in the front wheels and seeing if that was enough before coming up with an elaborate weight system.

Any advice? Will adding the weight to the front wheels cause any strange issues that I'm not thinking of?

I figure I can always drain it out if it doesn't help.

Thanks in advance,

PB

Budget
07-13-2007, 01:46 PM
PBinWA,
If you must put weight on so you can take it off with ease. If you need to run a hill side to side that added weight out front will cause the machine to
to lose more rear traction. I have the same machine you have i think(1500IS 52" 25hp.), well last year working on a hill i learned thats what walk behind
is for. I have never had feeling that i was lifting my front off the ground. Be SAFE if you don't know don't go.

PBinWA
07-13-2007, 02:03 PM
PBinWA,
If you must put weight on so you can take it off with ease. If you need to run a hill side to side that added weight out front will cause the machine to
to lose more rear traction. I have the same machine you have i think(1500IS 52" 25hp.), well last year working on a hill i learned thats what walk behind
is for. I have never had feeling that i was lifting my front off the ground. Be SAFE if you don't know don't go.

Thanks Budget,

I'm keeping the Craftsman for the steep hills. It's weighted down to the max and is a bit of a tank on the hills now.

There are just a few spots where the front wheels lift a little and I thought a little weight on the front might help.

I already found out about the ROPS and low hanging tree limbs probably within 10 minutes of getting home :dizzy: - some trees got pruned pretty quickly!

PBinWA
07-13-2007, 02:06 PM
Hey Budget,

Any other tricks for a newbie Ferris 1500Z owner? I got the mulching kit and Oregon Gator Mulcher Magnum blades but I'm getting some thin stripes. I'm thinking of switching to the stock blades to see if they make a difference.

Thanks,

PB

Jeepster
07-13-2007, 04:54 PM
Something to think about. I run a exmark at work and it has weights that are put on the front wheels for use with the rear bagger. Counter weights to compensate for the bagger. Something to also think about is Zero turns are squrrley on steep hills. Its scarry sometimes....eveny more so when you dont have a foot brake.

PBinWA
07-13-2007, 05:07 PM
Something to think about. I run a exmark at work and it has weights that are put on the front wheels for use with the rear bagger. Counter weights to compensate for the bagger. Something to also think about is Zero turns are squrrley on steep hills. Its scarry sometimes....eveny more so when you dont have a foot brake.

How do the front weights mount? Are they disks/plates that bolt to the outside of the wheel?

Capemay Eagle
07-13-2007, 07:46 PM
Hey Budget,

Any other tricks for a newbie Ferris 1500Z owner? I got the mulching kit and Oregon Gator Mulcher Magnum blades but I'm getting some thin stripes. I'm thinking of switching to the stock blades to see if they make a difference.

Thanks,

PB
Funny you said that. I just mentioned this to someone on the site. I am running Huster gators and I am having the same problem, they are also leaving a uneven cut. I am waiting to get my new Catcher King bagger hooked up so I can put the stock blades back on..

Jeepster
07-14-2007, 06:24 AM
How do the front weights mount? Are they disks/plates that bolt to the outside of the wheel?

The weights attach right over the spindle with a pin and clevis.
You can see them on the spindles in this photo.

http://www.exmark.com/2005photos/ultravac3.jpg

Jeepster
07-14-2007, 06:29 AM
surfing the web and found this.

PBinWA
07-14-2007, 09:56 AM
Well that's pretty fancy! It confirms My thoughts that the weight should be out front and to the sides for maximum stability.

The front of my Ferris has two big bolt holes on the frame so I'm thinking of trying to utilize those before I get really crazy with the torch and welder.

Thanks for posting the picture!

Rob.C
07-14-2007, 01:16 PM
PBinWA,
Your totaly right, If one of my techs uses a ztr on to steep of hill he will be finding himself another job, I am very strict on this, my best friend is in a wheel chair because he didnt listen.

Budget
07-16-2007, 08:24 AM
PBinWA,
This is what i did on mine.
Stiffen up front shocks all way and rear about 50%.
Air pressure tires, front 19lbs. back 10lbs.
Deck is pitched just a little higher in the back by about 3/16".
Be smooth on the controls and slow down before you make turns, and you will be OK.

PBinWA
07-16-2007, 09:10 AM
PBinWA,
This is what i did on mine.
Stiffen up front shocks all way and rear about 50%.
Air pressure tires, front 19lbs. back 10lbs.
Deck is pitched just a little higher in the back by about 3/16".
Be smooth on the controls and slow down before you make turns, and you will be OK.

Thanks Budget! Sounds like some good stuff to try!

I hear you on slowing down before you make the turns. Practice, practice, practice! (I'm new to the ZTR thing)

PB