PDA

View Full Version : Is it a good buy?

Willofalltrades
07-13-2007, 02:26 PM
I'm looking at getting a 1985 Chevy C-20 2wd. It has a 454 with the 3 spd tranny. The tranny has a low gear too. A truck like this typically would be rusted to poop in northeast ohio but It came from the south 4 years ago. That means it has a solid body, original paint (faded a little but in good condition). It has 104000 miles on it origionally. The truck also comes with a bedliner thats not to scratched up and a newer aftermarket hitch. I looked at the truck and everything seems solid. The only problem I see is it has a small exhaust leak by the left exhaust manifold. I plan to put headers on it anyway because that should get me better fuel milage. The interior is clean too. No rips in the seat and a small crack in the dash. My only concern is the 454... That can't get good milage. Now, that shouldn't matter too much because I only cut one day a week (10 properties). But still... I'm going to go through $30 in fuel a day. I want to know peoples experience with a truck like this and what they thought. Don't be affraid to give your opinion either. The selling price is $1850. I would just take $1500 in $100 bills. To buy or not to buy...

Sydenstricker Landscaping
07-13-2007, 02:50 PM
I had 2 old school chevy trucks. Mine were 82 & 84 K20's. Both350 v8's, one was auto, the other stick like you are looking at. They are very very simple to work on and parts are cheap and easy to find. The 454 however in those are carbureted, so drinking gas is an understatement. My 350's got 10-12 mpg depending on heaviness of my foot. The 454 will get maybe 8-10 or less. Im not too keen on 2 wheel drive trucks in Ohio with all the snow we get, but it doesnt sounds like you are looking to do any snow removal or winter driving with it, so it will be perfect. As long as the body is good and the frame is solid, go for it!!!! They are built like a brick sh*thouse. 1500 is def a good price for it!!!

Willofalltrades
07-13-2007, 04:03 PM
They are very very simple to work on and parts are cheap and easy to find. They are built like a brick sh*thouse. 1500 is def a good price for it!!!

Thats what I wanted to hear...

The 454 however in those are carbureted, so drinking gas is an understatement. The 454 will get maybe 8-10 or less.

Yea that scares me lol.

I don't plan on using my own truck to plow snow untill the business can buy its own 4x4 and plow. Untill then I will just plow for another company with their equipment (wheeler) and park the truck in storage. Everything is solid though...

Sydenstricker Landscaping
07-13-2007, 09:05 PM
Beleive me, if I was looking for a 2 wheel drive just to haul around my trailer, that would be the truck. You could easily recoup the 1500 bucks in no time. Only other thing I can tell you to look at, is check the floor pans to be sure of no holes. Those trucks are notorious for poop floor pans. Other than that, I would pick it up

Willofalltrades
07-14-2007, 04:03 PM
Yea I got the truck... I will pick it up on the 19th. Pics soon to follow...

Gravel Rat
07-14-2007, 05:12 PM
Just starting a 454 up burns 5 gallons :laugh:

Actually it will burn less fuel than the 350 if you drive it right and keep it tuned up with good plugs wires and if it doesn't have it install HEI distributer.

I imagine it has a old Rochester or quadrajet carburator :cry:

You take that off buy a good Edelbrock 4bbl with vacuum secondaries the truck will run good and be better than what ever is on the truck now.

If the truck is still has 16.5 tires change them to 16 inchers and run the tallest tire you can fit. That will help if the truck is geared really low. Oh ya got to be a little carefull with a 1 wheel wonder (2wd) is the 454 will roast a tire off pretty good if the truck has a open diff. If the rear tires are shot a good stress relief would be burn the old tires off till they blow LOL

lawnboy dan
07-14-2007, 07:40 PM
i hope you have a strong left leg-the clutch on these is very heavy. my only beef with these old style chevys-good truck otherwise

tthomass
07-14-2007, 09:03 PM
I'll take a carb.......I get 8mpg with fuel injection ('02 6.0L and 4.10 rear)

Grass Happens
07-15-2007, 12:30 AM
They are easy to work on. I had one, but one morning i wen outside and all i could find was four tires and a pile of red dust, never did figure out what happened. :) I had a 350 with auto and FULL TIME four wheel drive. My local gas station loved me, owner said i sent her oldest to college. Not really, but couldn't be too far from the truth. The speed-o-meter didnt work, so i couldn't ever figure out fuel mileage, and that was the reason the speed-o-meter never got fixed.

Willofalltrades
07-16-2007, 10:00 AM
i hope you have a strong left leg-the clutch on these is very heavy. my only beef with these old style chevys-good truck otherwise

Haha Yea I test drove it. I will just need to work on my right leg because my left will be beastly.

Willofalltrades
07-16-2007, 10:03 AM
Just starting a 454 up burns 5 gallons :laugh:

Actually it will burn less fuel than the 350 if you drive it right and keep it tuned up with good plugs wires and if it doesn't have it install HEI distributer.

I imagine it has a old Rochester or quadrajet carburator :cry:

You take that off buy a good Edelbrock 4bbl with vacuum secondaries the truck will run good and be better than what ever is on the truck now.

If the truck is still has 16.5 tires change them to 16 inchers and run the tallest tire you can fit. That will help if the truck is geared really low. Oh ya got to be a little carefull with a 1 wheel wonder (2wd) is the 454 will roast a tire off pretty good if the truck has a open diff. If the rear tires are shot a good stress relief would be burn the old tires off till they blow LOL

It has new tires, I don't know the size but they have 3000 miles on them. I have plans to add headers and now Im thinking about a Edelbrock.