PDA

View Full Version : Used 60" Lazer Z trivantage

rixtag
07-13-2007, 03:08 PM
I'm looking at getting a used 60" Lazer. 25hp Kohler. it will be my first hydro and first rider. What kind of thing would I look for as far as frame and hydro gears/pumps? Checking the engine is a no brainer for me but being new to the hydro makes me curious.

Also from the users of a Lazer, what things do you like/dislike as opposed to the 48" w/b belt drive i'm currently using?

TLS
07-13-2007, 03:49 PM
Your going to get what you get with a ZTR that old. Drive and mow with it and listen for odd noises and control issues.

Things to check that aren't as obvious....

Idler pulleys. (Mule drive, deck drive, and hydro pump drive) With engine off, physically pull and move these idlers. They should move freely and not be crooked, bent, or worn. The hydro drive likes to just wear crooked, as it's not easy to grease and those that do grease them, don't relieve belt tension to do so. Same with the deck idler. Lift up the floor pan and pull on the deck belt. These simply freeze up and then the belt becomes loose and glazes the belt. The mule drive is easiest to check, and easiest to grease. Replacing all may cost over $100 in parts alone, plus your or a mechanics time.

Also check the deck struts.

The blade spindles.

And look at the general condition of the deck itself. Has it been welded on? Has it rust through? Worn through? Is it straight?

Buying used ZTR's is a crapshoot. You never know what to expect. Rarely do LCO's sell a perfectly fine ZTR. Then again, you may get lucky.

But from your description, it's a pretty old unit.

Report back with # of hours, condition, etc. We'd be happy to help you out.