PDA

View Full Version : Customer wants a break

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
07-13-2007, 07:02 PM
I'm building 2 retaining walls for a customer with basic Anchor diamond block. The lower wall is 70x3 (11 pallets) with a slight 20ft curve. Not a whole lot of cuts and all the same height. The upper wall is 70x3 with 2 curves on each side. A lot of cutting for the caps and each row will step down on the ends. I bid the first wall (lower) for $6700. Than the upper wall was needed for the pool deck to be poored. I bid this wall for $6500 which will be a lot more work. The customer asked if I could do them both for $8500 since his son can do the stacking. Thats the easiest part of the build. I have to do the base, base row, backfill correctly, break the ends of the caps and block, and finally cut in all the caps.

What do you all think about this situation? That's my price but I'm curiuos to hear what other do in these situations.

paponte
07-13-2007, 07:17 PM
Sorry but my insurance doesn't cover your son on MY jobsite. Here's the numbers to my fuel suplier, mason yard, insurance company, paychex and a couple of other vendors that we use. If you can get them to give me a break on prices, then I will honor your price. :hammerhead:

DVS Hardscaper
07-13-2007, 08:12 PM
all I have to say is:

what in the backwoods.com ??? :hammerhead:

BPC
07-13-2007, 08:35 PM
I just had to deal with something like this. I quoted a price to replace a pump at someones house and he asked me if I could do better on the price. I asked the doctor if his patients can barter the cost of his services with him.

PatriotLandscape
07-13-2007, 08:39 PM
13,200 and he wants it for 8,500??? thats 4700 for what unskilled labor for two-three weeks. Run I tell you run away from this customer.

I wish someone would pay me 2,350 a week to stack block.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
07-13-2007, 08:55 PM
13,200 and he wants it for 8,500??? thats 4700 for what unskilled labor for two-three weeks. Run I tell you run away from this customer.

I wish someone would pay me 2,350 a week to stack block.

I can't I have a contract for the lower wall already. The upper is an add on for the pool deck.

tthomass
07-13-2007, 09:09 PM
DO NOT meet their terms. Build the lower wall as you have contracted.

If you need some help......tell them:
"I just can't do it for that price"
"In the best interest of the company I can not build the wall for that price"

There's a thing called overhead and it does not lie. The ball is in your court at this point. They have contracted with you for the lower which shows they trust you.

Example: I graded and cleaned up a persons back yard where another contractor cut and ran. I came in, did my job beyond their expectations and they are very happy. They then asked me to price a flagstone/mortar patio for them (start next week). I was the most expensive quote they got but they told me they went with my company because I was there when I said I would be, I did the job, there were not any issues and they were very happy with the result. Trust was established and they feel comfortable with the company and are willing to pay for a "known" vs a "unknown". So sell yourself as the guy for the job and they'll bite. Sound sure of yourself.....Sometimes you have to give a little to get the job but what they are asking is not something that is remotely realistic.

Mike33
07-13-2007, 11:24 PM
That would be like ordering a new truck and telling the dealer to send it in primer you buddy down the street would paint it cheaper.
Mike