PDA

View Full Version : Ferris mowers supposed to run 6000 hours without major overhaul!!?!?!

DillonsLawnCare
07-14-2007, 12:13 AM
i heard that ferris mowers are supposed to run 6000 hours before having a major overhaul. are ferris mowers good. better than toro/exmark/scag??? is ferris the one i want? please respond!!!!!:waving:

craglawnmanor
07-14-2007, 01:39 AM
I don't know about 6000 hours, but Ferris does make a good mower, from what I've heard.

General maintenance, regular oil and filter (oil+air) changes, etc. are key to a long survival rate for any mower.

Dillon, have you checked out SLE over in Antioch (past Hickory Hollow mall)?
I think they may be the only current Ferris dealer around Nashville at this time.
I bought a trailer from SLE in 2005, it was a pretty painless transaction-good price, helpful people. I haven't bought anything else from them since, but might be shopping for a new ZTR in the Fall, and will certainly check them among others when I'm ready to buy. :)

DillonsLawnCare
07-14-2007, 01:43 AM
yeah i have been there. i got my mower serviced there and it was smooth. there prices on zero turn mowers are some of the lowest ive seen. CRAGLAWNMANOR>>>>> do you own any zero turn mowers ready to hand down???? REPLY SOOON..

DillonsLawnCare
07-14-2007, 01:44 AM
what kind of trailer did you buy, how much was it??

thesargent
07-14-2007, 01:49 AM
yeah, not to sure about 6000hours. but you wont be dissapointed with a ferris, exmark, toro, or scag. choose what dealer you like best and what price you like best. and of course go try em all out you might find one that fits YOU best. but as far as quality, cant go wrong with any. and no i havent used all those brands, but ive researched tons and talked to alot of people who have used them. i feel they are all good solid commercial mowers. to be to quick to count out other commercial brands such as husqvarna they are very reasonably priced compared to some of the other popular brands. they have the same engines they all use and are built very stout. (i do own a husqvarna w/b.) hope this can be of some use. later.

wayne

LCPullman
07-14-2007, 02:16 AM
I don't think that Ferris is necessarily any better than Toro/Exmark/Scag, but it is in the same category, a really good tough mower. I don't think you will be likely to get 6000 hr out of any air-cooled gasoline engine, even with really good maintainence.
Go find what works best for you and find a dealer you like.

Richard Martin
07-14-2007, 06:30 AM
Dixie Choppers generally get the most hours and with proper care and maintenance you can easily get up to and beyond 4,000 hours out of them. The biggest difference between Dixie and most other mowers is the Amsoil bypass oil filter they put on them. Most other mowers can be expected to get at least 3,000 hours.

rodfather
07-14-2007, 08:03 AM
The 6000 hour overhaul issue pertains only to the IS4500 and IS5100 series Z with the Cat engine. Frankly, I think the rest of the mower will fall apart before ever having to deal with that 6000 hour issue. I have owned more than 20 Ferris machines over the years and currently run 8 of their WB's and Z's. Any particular questions about them, shoot me a PM.

Frue
07-14-2007, 09:23 AM
The 6000 hour overhaul issue pertains only to the IS4500 and IS5100 series Z with the Cat engine. Frankly, I think the rest of the mower will fall apart before ever having to deal with that 6000 hour issue. I have owned more than 20 Ferris machines over the years and currently run 8 of their WB's and Z's. Any particular questions about them, shoot me a PM.

I am looking for your review of the ferris 2000 I cannot find the back issue of turf. I own this machine and I would like your thoughts on this paticular machine.

rodfather
07-15-2007, 07:22 AM
The first thing that impressed me the most was the ride. It was more comfortable than my 3000's, my 3100, or my 4000 Ferris Z's. I did notice that top speed was not as high as my other machines due to the wheel motors being smaller. And I wasn't crazy about needing 3 hands to grease the middle spindle tower.

BTW, the one we had was a 61" deck and a 27 hp Kohler. Foot operated deck assist was real easy to use when you needed to get over a rock or tree root. Overall, easy to work on and left a great cut.

Frue
07-15-2007, 09:13 AM
The first thing that impressed me the most was the ride. It was more comfortable than my 3000's, my 3100, or my 4000 Ferris Z's. I did notice that top speed was not as high as my other machines due to the wheel motors being smaller. And I wasn't crazy about needing 3 hands to grease the middle spindle tower.

BTW, the one we had was a 61" deck and a 27 hp Kohler. Foot operated deck assist was real easy to use when you needed to get over a rock or tree root. Overall, easy to work on and left a great cut.

I own the same machine.