PDA

View Full Version : check these pics...then YOU decide

HS Football Rules
07-14-2007, 09:40 AM
Half of these accounts are hilly..the rest are flat...ALL have lots of curbs and tights spots. I'm debating equip. choices to fit a 4 man crew.
I'm thinking (1)60" ztr...(1)32" wb and possibly a 52" hydro walk

What would you use on these places?
Disregard winter time pics....before my time

lawnman_scott
07-14-2007, 11:01 AM
I would use a 52-60 ztr and a 34ztr.

M.C.L.C.
07-14-2007, 11:09 AM
60ztr 48 or 42 ztr which ever will fit thru those gates around the pool.

razor1
07-14-2007, 11:21 AM
Also, if you don't have them yet, get chute blocker(s) for all mowers. :weightlifter:

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
07-14-2007, 11:26 AM
He use blade blockers on all of our equipment it is the only way around properties like that,to me a walk behind works for tight turning.

Uranus
07-14-2007, 11:52 AM
If I had the chance to pick anything I wanted for equipment I would use

2 - 60" zrt
1 - 48" or 52" wb
1 - 36" wb
4 - String trimmers
and atleast 2 backpack blowers.

I might even stop by the local 7-11 and grab a mexican or 2 to start the trimming while my crew mowed.

HS Football Rules
07-14-2007, 04:57 PM
Nobody mentioned 21"...that's a good thing !
I'm counting on my 32's to cover all the tight spots. If I thought 36's would do the same, I'd use them....Might still use Quick 36's in place of 32's.

Budget won't allow for a second 60" ZTR..so...
I'll prolly use a floating 52" hydro WB.....can anyone justify spending $$ on a SMALL ztr...like a 34" Dixie Chopper or 36" Mini Z...etc. ??

scag36
07-14-2007, 06:28 PM
id get
60" stander(1)
48" sentar sport(1)
36"stander (1)
21" whatever

ExecutiveLawns
07-14-2007, 07:01 PM
60ztr 48 or 42 ztr which ever will fit thru those gates around the pool.
O come on can you be that lazy to use a 42'' or 48'' zero turn? Personally i think it is faster to use a w/b in those small places. when i see a small ztr like that i think homeowner or the stuff you can find at home depot or lowes (junk) sorry if i offend anyone who buys their equipment there but im a strong believer in you get what you pay for, you buy homeowner equipment it will act like homeowner equipment and work great 1 hour a week 28 weeks a year, if you buy commercial it will work like or mexican freinds 50+ hours a week 28 weeks a year then you store it. for next year.

TNT LawnCare Inc.
07-14-2007, 07:41 PM
2-3 60 inch ZTR AND 1 32 OR 36 STANDER.

lawnmaniac883
07-14-2007, 10:04 PM
O come on can you be that lazy to use a 42'' or 48'' zero turn? Personally i think it is faster to use a w/b in those small places. when i see a small ztr like that i think homeowner or the stuff you can find at home depot or lowes (junk) sorry if i offend anyone who buys their equipment there but im a strong believer in you get what you pay for, you buy homeowner equipment it will act like homeowner equipment and work great 1 hour a week 28 weeks a year, if you buy commercial it will work like or mexican freinds 50+ hours a week 28 weeks a year then you store it. for next year.

Nothin wrong with using a small ZTR and not all of them are homeowner junk. Not all small equipment comes from home depot or lowes.

Gravely has a 34Z and 44Z as small ZTR's as well as hustler and dixie apparantly. If it were me I wouldnt be buying equipment dependant on this one account. But its up to you. Not sure what you have already but you will need atleast a large ZTR and smaller WB for gated/size limited areas. 60'' ztr and 36 or 42'' wb would be fine.

Runner
07-14-2007, 10:23 PM
LOL! You are sizing up equipment requirements and purchases AROUND an apartment complex??? :laugh: I would be looking further into the FUTURE needs of your company,...especially if you are intending on using a bunch of employees. Keep your deck sizes uniform for overlapping and sharing areas. And if i is one thing you will learn in this business,...don't EVER count on ANYthing when it comes to apt. complexes. They will sell you out in a New York minute to save themselves 20 bucks a week.

HS Football Rules
07-14-2007, 10:40 PM
LOL! You are sizing up equipment requirements and purchases AROUND an apartment complex??? :laugh: I would be looking further into the FUTURE needs of your company,...especially if you are intending on using a bunch of employees. Keep your deck sizes uniform for overlapping and sharing areas. And if i is one thing you will learn in this business,...don't EVER count on ANYthing when it comes to apt. complexes. They will sell you out in a New York minute to save themselves 20 bucks a week.

Nobody asked you for business advice:hammerhead: ...you don't know my situation...if you have any input as to the actual question raised, fine, speak.

Runner
07-14-2007, 11:06 PM
LOL. That DOES pertain to your actual question. It may not be what you want to hear, but it is the truth. As far as the apt. complex thing,...there is much more to it than what I even touched on. If you don't believe so,... then just ask any and all the guys on here who have had enough experience and have dealt with these types of accounts. 90% will say the same thing. Quite frankly,...I don't HAVE to know your situation. I was just trying to help. If you want to be all snotty and closed minded about it,...then fine....I will know that in the future. When you get 25 years of success under your belt, then come talk.

HS Football Rules
07-14-2007, 11:27 PM
Runner...dude..I am the account you goof! This is an in house crew that I'm outfitting, they won't be going to any other "accounts". So trying to get the best equipment fit for these properties is EXACTLY what I'm looking for. But that's ok ...I got some helpful post from others...ones that actually answered my question. Peace:usflag:

Runner
07-15-2007, 12:03 AM
Wow...THAT changes things! lol :) Being that the case,...most every one of your responses is right on track. Actually, your first suggestion sounds like the most practical. My main concern would be something with good (very little blowout) bagging capabilities for inside the pool area. It looks like whatever you are using on it now is doing well. I know that with the larger wb's, even when bagging, there is a certain amount of blowout that can create havoc for a nearby pool.

lawnman_scott
07-15-2007, 01:27 AM
Budget won't allow for a second 60" ZTR..so...
I'll prolly use a floating 52" hydro WB.....can anyone justify spending $$ on a SMALL ztr...like a 34" Dixie Chopper or 36" Mini Z...etc. ??A small ztr will run circles around a walk behind any day. For the most part they are faster and easier to turn. Not to mention less fatigue. Can you pull out a stuck mower, or a small tree stump with a walk behind?

jcthorne
07-15-2007, 10:52 AM
4 man crew
Your saying half of the properties are hilly so I would go with Hydro WB's
They will handle the hills better and will not rut the ground as much as a ZTR.

If it were my crew i would buy the following.

Isuzu NPR
52-60 Exmark Turf Tracer with mulch kit and sulky.
48 Hydro Exmark Turf Tracer XP with mulch kit and sulky
3 Stihl 100RX weedeaters
2 Stihl BR600's
1 straight shaft edger
1 hand held hedge trimmer with a 30-36 inch bar
1 pole hedge trimmer
Billy Goat Force blower
Chainsaw
pole saw

I know some people will not agree with this set up, but I do quit a few apartment complexes with the largest around 30 acres. Good hydro wb's will cover a lot of ground and you can use them on flat ground or cutting the retention pond banks that are so common around here on large complexes.

Personally, a good weedeater man can handle the areas that need to be push mowed with great effeciency.

If you're the one that's going to be operating one of these mowers a ztr would not be a bad choice.....lol

My crew would consist of 1 foreman making $11-12.50 per hour, 1 experienced guy that you probably can steal for and extra .50 per hour from another company's crew (this happens all of the time regardless of whether it's right or wrong) and 2 $8-9 hour guys.

Labor cost differ greatly from region to region so these numbers may not be accurate for your area, but they would all be mexican for sure.

HS Football Rules
07-15-2007, 01:21 PM
wow... great post... thanks
I haven't crunched numbers without a ztr in them yet...so we'll see.

NewHorizon's Land
07-15-2007, 01:32 PM
I was just in Pa this past week and the Wright Stander's seem to do good with hills. I would suggest plus with a 60" ZTR.

South Florida Lawns
07-15-2007, 01:36 PM
I would use 3 44" Z's and 3 36" Standers all mulching for easier cleanups.

jcthorne
07-15-2007, 10:16 PM
Not to be hypocritical South Florida lawns, but you would have 6 mowers for a 4 man crew. That makes absolutely no sense. He needs no more than 2 mowers with a 4 man crew.....period.

lifetree
07-15-2007, 10:28 PM
Nothin wrong with using a small ZTR and not all of them are homeowner junk ... Gravely has a 34Z and 44Z as small ZTR's as well as hustler and dixie apparantly.

Dixon also has a very good 34" ZTR ... the Blackbear, it's a commercial grade ZTR designed specifically to get through those gates. Also, congratulations on having those types of commercial accounts !!

HS Football Rules
07-15-2007, 11:05 PM
If you look close at the tire tracks...the existing crew uses a walker (most likely an S model)
and I'm not sure, but I haven't seen 2 of them on site. but I have seen 2 or 3 guys chasing 21's.
So they are mowing as a group,,,then ,,edging & trimming as a group...then cleaning up as a group.

Never see the same number of guys..4 , 5, sometimes 6....so who knows!
I'm limited to 4 employees...so I'm probably stuck with (1)-big Z..(2)- 36" hydro's w/jungle wheels...
and one poor ba$tard chasing a 21 or trimmer!!

If I can talk the owner into a smaller second ztr (34-36)..I'm all over it..
..but not likely:nono:

Turf Dawg
07-15-2007, 11:56 PM
Most of the apartment complexs I have I use my walker mt on. It may take alittle longer to mow, but all the cig butts, candy papers and other small trash get picked up. Also the clean up is faster. The ones I serve all have plenty off dumpsters on site. If they didn't that would change everything. Just my 2 cents. PS I also sent you a pm about dealers.