PDA

View Full Version : fuel filter?

Lakeside Lawn
07-14-2007, 02:25 PM
have a scag with a kawasaki FB460V 12.5 on it..It will start first pull,and run all day at idle..but about a min after pushing it to full throttle..it will die.

Does this sound like a Fuel filter problem?

Thanks for all help!

Bill Kapaun
07-14-2007, 05:29 PM
Possibly. Also a restricted vent in the gas cap is another possibility.
I'd change the filter. If it doesn't fix the problem, call it "maintenance".

Lakeside Lawn
07-15-2007, 12:21 AM
I will try that...anyone else with a opinion?

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
07-15-2007, 12:34 AM
I wouldn't think it would be a clooged filter or the motor shouldn't want to run at all. Could be trash in the carb but it's hard to say without the machine in front of me. Quick try would be to pull the fuel line and filter off, drain gas, blow out the tank and then put it all back together. If that doesn't fix it then it would be in the carb.

Mark in MD
07-15-2007, 10:29 AM
have a scag with a kawasaki FB460V 12.5 on it..It will start first pull,and run all day at idle..but about a min after pushing it to full throttle..it will die.

Does this sound like a Fuel filter problem?

Thanks for all help!I know exactly what this is. It's a carb problem caused from a leak in your air cleaner, not your fuel filter. This has been discussed in the past in different threads earlier this season.

Take the carb off, remove bowl, stick a thin piece of wire down the center of the stem that you'll see there. Stick it all the way through. This will remove the piece of dirt that's lodged in there. Rinse with carb cleaner spray.

Put everything back together and it should run like a dream.

Bill Kapaun
07-16-2007, 04:25 PM
"I wouldn't think it would be a clooged filter or the motor shouldn't want to run at all."
Not necessarily! If the filter is "partially" clogged, it may allow enough fuel to pass while the engine is at low speed, but not enough for high speed/load conditions.

Breezmister
07-16-2007, 09:16 PM
Easy way to find out, find the fuel shut off, some are under the tank, some are inline, make sure it's open. If it's under the tank, it should be down or vertical to the tank, inline should be parallel to the fuel line, if it's not completely open, you might have found your problem. If it's open, close it and get a container, I use an old coffee can. Disconnect the fuel line at the carb, put it in the container, open the fuel valve. If the gas pours out for the line, then your problem is more then likely in the carb. If it dribles out, reconnect the fuel line and go to the fuel tank side of the filter, remember to shut the valve every time you do this, disconnect the line there and see if it flows, if it does, change the filter. If it dose not, then the problem is in the tank where the the line comes out of the tank.
If you have a compressor, take the fuel cap off and "gently" blow some air threw the line with the valve open. there will be some bubbling in the tank, Don't blast it, you will get gas all over the place, I know <snicker> IF you don't....Did you ever see the Maltse Falcon ? Remember what Becall said to Bogie, just put your two lips together and .........<LOL>
You will have have to drain the tank and clean the junk out that is around the little screen, if it has one. If the fuel valve is in the bottom of the tank, you might beable to unscrew in to clean it uinless it is a press in with a grommet, becareful pulling it out.
Hope this helped.........