PDA

View Full Version : Echo hedge trimmers

LarryF
07-14-2007, 06:33 PM
I had posted the following question in the Maintenance & Renovation forum where someone else had started a thred on Echo hedge trimmers, but since I received no responses, I thought I'd try it here.

-------------------------
I looked on line for the Echo HC-150, and it looks like it's now been replaced by the HC-151. But there is also an HC-151i for about $30 more. Can anyone tell me the difference? Looks like the HC-151i weighs about a half pound more, but all of the other specs seem to be the same.

I haven't really finalized my decision to get an Echo hedge trimmer, so any other recommendations at this time would be appreciated.

ed2hess
07-14-2007, 07:24 PM
No dealers in your area?

Grits
07-14-2007, 07:33 PM
I had posted the following question in the Maintenance & Renovation forum where someone else had started a thred on Echo hedge trimmers, but since I received no responses, I thought I'd try it here.

-------------------------
I looked on line for the Echo HC-150, and it looks like it's now been replaced by the HC-151. But there is also an HC-151i for about $30 more. Can anyone tell me the difference? Looks like the HC-151i weighs about a half pound more, but all of the other specs seem to be the same.

I haven't really finalized my decision to get an Echo hedge trimmer, so any other recommendations at this time would be appreciated.

That "i" means it has a special recoil pull on it and it makes it easier to pull. You shouldn't need it. I have the 150, it is very easy to start without spending the extra money on the "i". Other than the "i", they are exactly the same hedge trimmers.

greg1
07-14-2007, 07:47 PM
I'm going on a brief encounter but i believe the (i) stands for ignition, easier to start. You can easily find that information on the echo website. I had an echo hc-150 that gave excellent service for light to medium pruning for several years with no problems. just the usual carburetor tweaking. This is a light duty trimmer so don't cut yourself short and find out later that you need more power.

greg1
07-14-2007, 08:05 PM
Grits is right, i just looked it up on there website (i) is for an easier pull recoil system. I never had a problem with the hc-150 as long as i didn't flood it out.

lawnboy dan
07-14-2007, 08:33 PM
power isnt the problem with these-its reliability and poor cut. take a look at the shindawia home pro hedge trimmer-same $ -way better machine

LarryF
07-14-2007, 11:13 PM
power isnt the problem with these-its reliability and poor cut. take a look at the shindawia home pro hedge trimmer-same $ -way better machine

Thanks for the tip. I have to admit that the fact that Home Depot carries the Echo HC-150 did make me a little leery about it. I doubt if I would ever wear it out if I did get the Echo, but if there are better hedge trimmers at about the same price, I may as well look at them. I also saw a Kawasaki at Lesco. Any advice regarding them?

lawnboy dan
07-14-2007, 11:36 PM
i havent owned the newest kawis from lesco -but i would take them over the echo any day. the best thing you can say about the echo is that its very light and can use allday with out getting tired . the shin home pro is even lighter and a high quality unit for the $ but if the kawis are a good deal -go with them

LALawnboy
07-14-2007, 11:46 PM
i just picked up the hc-150 last week from my dealer and they're perfect for what i need them for. the 151's you're talking about are the california certified model. i honestly don't know the difference other than that. even though they're light duty, i think they can handle most jobs.

LarryF
07-15-2007, 09:00 AM
i havent owned the newest kawis from lesco -but i would take them over the echo any day. the best thing you can say about the echo is that its very light and can use allday with out getting tired . the shin home pro is even lighter and a high quality unit for the $ but if the kawis are a good deal -go with them

Thanks Dan. The Kawasaki I saw and the Echo HC-150 seem to be about the same price, but the Kawasaki is 24" as opposed to the Echo being only 20". I think the Kawasaki is heavier. Here's a Lesco description of it.

http://www.lesco.com/ProdCatalog/ProdCatalogNav.aspx?ProdGroupID=9&SKUGroupID=80

IA_James
07-15-2007, 11:43 AM
151=catalytic convertor. 150=no such nonsense. i=easy start set up, you don't need it.