PDA

View Full Version : Grass Dying off

DanielHNYC
07-14-2007, 07:42 PM
I have been trying to plant new grass in 3 spots on my lawn. The areas are 5ft by 3 ft sections give or take. I bought new seed soil and raked in seed and the grass has grown quickly. The problem is that after a week or so, in the morning I am beginning to notice a clear sticky substance in areas of the grass. A few days later those areas brown and die. I believe I am watering enough and am not really sure what this is or how to stop it. Any suggestions?

Rtom45
07-16-2007, 11:33 AM
Any possibility of pictures? Sounds like it could be damping off disease, but it sure is hard to make a good judgement without at least a couple pictures. Also a little information on your lawn and soil conditions, especially where the problem occurs.

grasswhacker
07-16-2007, 11:52 AM
Bad time of year to get new grass started. Wait until mid-late Aug

DanielHNYC
07-19-2007, 01:04 PM
Here are some shots. It looks like spiderwebs with water on it, but when you touch it, its a slimy goo.

Rtom45
07-19-2007, 02:24 PM
I'm thinking pythium blight, but I'm not an expert.
Susceptible grasses: blue grass, tall fescue, perennial ryegrass, bentgrass, and some others.
Pythium appears during hot humid weather. Its common in the wettest areas of lawn. It causes greasy circular spots that enlarge rapidly under the right conditions. The spots are water soaked and dark colored early in the morning. They also form fluffy white masses and can form large irregular areas of dead turf. Dead patches may appear orangish in color.

DanielHNYC
07-19-2007, 02:39 PM
That is what we thought!

Any suggestions?