PDA

View Full Version : Questions?? FOR LAWN CARE OWNERS!!!!

Mr Landscaper
07-14-2007, 11:00 PM
Okay got a question! I just recently quit working for a guy that i was employed for 2 years now....i decided it was time to branch out and start my own mowing stuff. so yesterday which was friday i had my last check coming and he will only give it to me if i sign a self termination paper...but the paper says in it that i can not work for anyother lawn care comp. within 50 miles of him, or start my own within 50 miles, what cna i do? do i have to sign it/?

1MajorTom
07-14-2007, 11:05 PM
Well I am no attorney, but I would think he would have had to make you sign that BEFORE you started working for him. Now that you are quitting, no way can he call the shots what you can do.

T.E.
07-14-2007, 11:06 PM
He can't hold your check. Turn him into the labor board.

Mr Landscaper
07-14-2007, 11:08 PM
Yeah just as I thought, hes not happy but I will not sign it, he better give me my check tomm or I'll be calling someone tomm...hes just mad because he just lost his best worker, the rest of the guys he has are a joke. and to top it all off, IM HIS SON N LAW!

P.Services
07-14-2007, 11:10 PM
thats bs, he can do that but at the start of your work duration to late now

1MajorTom
07-14-2007, 11:12 PM
and to top it all off, IM HIS SON N LAW!
Wow, doesn't sound like a good situation to be in. Wait till he sees you starting your business, seems like that would make for some awkward family gatherings.

Runner
07-14-2007, 11:13 PM
He can not withhold that check. I am not sure what you mean by a "self termination" paper, but perhaps a letter of resignation IS in order. Your state dept. of labor will be able to help you out on the check thing.

Mr Landscaper
07-14-2007, 11:17 PM
Well about a month ago I told him that if things didnt change I was going to quit, so nothing changed, so I gave him a 3 week notice, everything went down hill from there, after I gave him the notice he started treating me like crap. so i held it out and did my 3 weeks, he doesnt know I'm starting my own business....but im sure he aint going to be happy. im not going to take his customers, i wont under cut him

hes a weird guy!

screensnot
07-15-2007, 12:12 AM
Don't sign anything.

As someone pointed out, the kind of agreement he is asking you to sign is usually presented to you when you start work, not when you leave.

A company I used to work for started asking employees to sign a similar agreement. I happened to be out of town at the time they implemented the policy. When I quit, they reminded me of the agreement I signed. I asked them to show me the agreement. The president came to me with an unsigned copy of it, and tried to explain that it was their policy, and it didn't matter if I signed it or not. I laughed at him. He laughed a bit too, when he realized that I knew he was trying to BS me.