PDA

View Full Version : My First Wall Job

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
07-15-2007, 08:31 AM
Opinions please. Thanks

cgland
07-15-2007, 10:17 AM
The corners on the right should not be creating a running bond.

Chris

Mike33
07-15-2007, 11:39 AM
How about the earth on the side to be retained. Would it been posssible? I realize pics dont always show your working conditions.
Mike

ChampionLS
07-15-2007, 11:44 AM
I see ties on the left and an existing wall on the right. Why not replace the ties with the wall and also connect your wall to the neighbors? You need to retain everything at some point. The dirt area is a good candidate for a washout.

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
07-15-2007, 03:56 PM
the right...the property line is half way between my wall and the neighbors "wall" ......my customer and the neighbor still arnt sure what they want to do where the dirt is....they are leaning to putting the neighbors stones in that area....as for the left, customer didnt want to go to the steps....I tried talking her into it but she wouldnt go fot it!

Thanks for the input

YardMedic
07-15-2007, 04:43 PM
The corners on the right should not be creating a running bond

Should NOT be?? That's incorrect, and they aren't anyway. They SHOULD be creating a running bond, which they are not (you may have meant that?)

Would have made the return on the left to contain the bed, even if she didn't want it running to the steps. Leave the slope 1-2' from the steps as shown, but contain the parts of the beds that the wall is in front of.

Just my $.02

cgland
07-15-2007, 09:45 PM
Should NOT be?? That's incorrect, and they aren't anyway. They SHOULD be creating a running bond, which they are not (you may have meant that?)

Just my $.02

I'm talking top to bottom, so I am NOT incorrect. There is a definite bond line being created at the corner and it is certainly a weak point in the wall.

Chris

YardMedic
07-15-2007, 11:14 PM
The "running bond" would have corrected that "bond line" as you mentioned. As it is shown, it is incorrect. The running bond, the stagger INTO the corner would have been correct.

D Felix
07-15-2007, 11:17 PM
What you are both trying to say is that the corners should be on a half-bond. :) :waving:

Mike33
07-15-2007, 11:41 PM
As far as workmanship i agree the corners has an isssue. Besides that i think the project overall does not look good, and im not picking on your work. 3 walls, large block, color of block not appealing. I guess it looks cramped up in that small yard. Maybe a smaller block , 2 walls with the ends curved back might of looked better. There is definite a mudslide to happen on the right side. My opinion!
Mike

senatorcongressman
07-16-2007, 03:07 PM
On the install, I agree with the need to tie the terrace walls into the wall on the right. Other than that, it looks level. Not bad for the first time.

On the design, there is not much I like about it. On the left, are they corners or do the walls just end abruptly? Anyway those left corners look silly. For that size yard and pitch, I think you have at least 1 (maybe 2) walls too many. Aesthetically, the house has busy brickwork, which I actually find charming, but the choice of wall block clashes with it, not to mention the wood ties, painted blue steps, concrete walk and neighbor wall. Those things you don't have much control over and are things dictated by the customer's (questionable) taste and more importantly her budget.

A pair of mortared brick (matching the darker bricks on the corner of the house) or fieldstone walls extending to the walk and turning back toward the house at the right property line would look very nice here.

nobagger
07-16-2007, 06:09 PM
Hey Bob, I was wondering what was going on there. I saw the gravel sitting there for awhile. You should snap some more pics (different angles) and maybe it will do it more justice. I have to agree with the others about the right corner though, and as far as the left side....ya need to contain the earth, fortunately this is a very small area maybe what, 8ft from the house to the sidewalk and probably 10ft wide? I kinda like the 3 levels, I know to some it might look too busy but it kinda works for this house. Lastly, the color. Next time try and find a color that matches something on the house (besides the blue steps,lol). I would have probably went with a darker brick to match the dark one on the house, just my .02 cents. Personally seeing it though just driving bye it looks 100% better than it did before.

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
07-16-2007, 09:26 PM
These are versa-lok handy stone and are small....I did show the customer a darker color I liked, but she didn't!...I agree with alot that has been said here about the overall look of the front of this property, but this customer has some strange taste. She has a "bed" between the sidewalk and curb that is hideous! My goal here was to build my first wall, preferrably a small one, and learn from it. Here are some more pics from different angles. Again, thanks for all the input.

YardMedic
07-16-2007, 10:56 PM
Either the middle tier is curved or it sags in the middle

cgland
07-16-2007, 11:01 PM
The customers taste has nothing to do with the fact that your wall is structurally flawed. Your corners are weak. Split some block and stagger your corners.

Chris

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
07-16-2007, 11:44 PM
The top two tiers curve towards the house...I did half stack the bottom corner...stupid choice on the second and third corners

crab
07-16-2007, 11:52 PM
[again damn you're right cg]although its vertical it is indeed running bond.its small probably wont make a difference, but you are wrong ,looks good though!

ChampionLS
07-17-2007, 12:04 AM
OH MY GOD!!!......
Tell me those arent crappy "landscape timbers"... actually rejects from dimensional lumber that somebody made a wall with (next to the steps) NOT only did they NOT use regular 4x4 or 6x6's.. but they STACKED THE CHEAP TIES ON THE ROUND SIDE! Duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

This is the best Pic for the Worst Client ever. haha.
Your block wall came out pretty good. Just fix the right side corners.