PDA

View Full Version : Before I lock it in - is this walkway OK?

H3AdBaBY
07-15-2007, 03:30 PM
I'm a Happy Homeowner about to complete my first hardscape project. It has been quite an education to say the least. If any of you pro's could take a quick look and point out any errors before I sweep in the polysand and lock in my blunders I'd be grateful.

Thanks!

http://www.headbaby.com/7-13-07-a.jpg

H3AdBaBY
07-15-2007, 03:37 PM
great... posted in the wrong forum.. and I can't figure out how to delete or move it. sorry...

tthomass
07-15-2007, 03:44 PM
Looks like you did a good job. Better then some of what we see posted by 'pros' on here. I assume there is a dip in the driveway? If that is he garage to the right......you could continue across the front of the garage.

If your base is solid and everything as should be lock it in. Good job!

Be carefull with the poly, MIST with water.

mrusk
07-15-2007, 03:52 PM
Base is not extended far enough and it looks like the edging was installed on top of the sand and not the base material.

H3AdBaBY
07-15-2007, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the comments. While there is indeed a small dip where the asphalt meets the pavers it is more illusion than reality. The house was built in 1973 (we've lived here for 3 years) and original concrete driveway had cracked (due to being 3"-4" concrete poured directly on clay?). A previous owner had asphalt applied on top of the concrete which has subsequently cracked and chipped along the edges. The pavers are level with a pitch from doorway to driveway and toward the grass. Once I get the pavers locked in I'll remove the rotten asphalt, patch and seal the entire driveway. The walkway will then be flush and level with the driveway. Not an ideal solution but replacing the driveway is not in the budget this year.

The base extends 8"-12" beyond the pavers and the edge restraint is nailed directly to the base. I've spent too much time reading the posts on this site to make those mistakes! Haha! It doesn't appear that way because the crabgrass has grown over it a bit since I started this project in May 2006. After an extended series of unpleasant surprises that resulted in rerouting and replacing over 200 feet of drain pipe and digging out close to 10 cubic yards of broken concrete chunks, half rotted tree limbs and other debris that doesn't come close to being legit backfill, I ran out of time and money the end of October 2006. However, I am finally about to complete this project, and not a moment too soon. The wife is already planning the landscaping! I guess I'd better not put the tools away to quickly.

copeblk
07-15-2007, 08:49 PM
take a picture of #1 loos like your soilder course does some funky things here and #2 pull last paver of soilder course out(towards lawn) and cut in a wedge. tried to show how. other than that looks great.

1MajorTom
07-15-2007, 09:07 PM
great... posted in the wrong forum.. and I can't figure out how to delete or move it. sorry...
Sorry, just saw this now, moved it over to the hardscaping forum you.

D Felix
07-15-2007, 10:58 PM
I don't agree with copeblk's #2 suggestion at all. Leave that corner piece the way it is.

It's hard to tell from the one pic, but if you don't have the edge restraint nailed at least every 12-14", you need more spikes! Do that before you sweep in sand and compact.

tthomass
07-15-2007, 11:02 PM
#1 is an outline of a landing in an arch going from wall to wall......just achitecture

#2 would look odd......everything is solid, whole pieces

D Felix
07-15-2007, 11:19 PM
Oh, one more thing- paint your SDR 35 downspout drain to match/blend with the siding! It sticks out like a sore thumb right now!!! :) :waving:

Mike33
07-15-2007, 11:49 PM
I dont do pavers srw's though, but it looks good to me for my 2 cents worth. If your the average happy homeowner you was probably limited to average tools and man handled everything. Keep up the good work and good luck to your future projects.
Mike

Stillwater
07-16-2007, 02:27 AM
I'm a Happy Homeowner about to complete my first hardscape project. It has been quite an education to say the least. If any of you pro's could take a quick look and point out any errors before I sweep in the polysand and lock in my blunders I'd be grateful.

Thanks!

http://www.headbaby.com/7-13-07-a.jpg

This looks great, but cut a piece of stone for behind the gas pipe and you are good to go.

Drafto
07-16-2007, 09:15 AM
[QUOTE=D Felix;1897901]I don't agree with copeblk's #2 suggestion at all. Leave that corner piece the way it is.

Niether do I.

All the corners are the large piece, leave it, looks good. Definately play with the saw to custom cut a pice for behind the pipe.

Rafto

Dirty Water
07-16-2007, 11:43 AM
Looks pretty good. Ignore both of Copeblk's suggestions.

cleuci
07-16-2007, 03:35 PM
What brand/color paver is that?

Look nice

Stillwater
07-16-2007, 06:30 PM
Want a job?

greg1
07-16-2007, 07:11 PM
Landscapers in general tend to be very picky individuals because they are also creative people. Take what we say in stride. We all know you did a great job.
There are some things that could have and should have been done differently,
but the finished job looks great. Your next test is longevity. Did you prepare your base corectly? I'm sure you did. Thumbs up!

GreenMonster
07-16-2007, 08:08 PM
I don't agree with copeblk's #2 suggestion at all. Leave that corner piece the way it is.

It's hard to tell from the one pic, but if you don't have the edge restraint nailed at least every 12-14", you need more spikes! Do that before you sweep in sand and compact.

#1 is an outline of a landing in an arch going from wall to wall......just achitecture

#2 would look odd......everything is solid, whole pieces

[QUOTE=D Felix;1897901]I don't agree with copeblk's #2 suggestion at all. Leave that corner piece the way it is.

Niether do I.

All the corners are the large piece, leave it, looks good. Definately play with the saw to custom cut a pice for behind the pipe.

Rafto

Looks pretty good. Ignore both of Copeblk's suggestions.

LMAO! I immediately thought the same thing before I even read these posts! Dan, we sure think alike, huh? You still like it in Iowa?

Cut a wedge :rolleyes: the only wedges should be ones that are cut adjacent to soldier course.

looks solid. nice job.

kootoomootoo
07-16-2007, 11:17 PM
Looks good......I like the corner piece.......no runway lights too.:)

ChampionLS
07-17-2007, 12:12 AM
I say you cut that ugly S&D pipe below grade. It's right near the door!. Extend your leader down and cut a paver nicely to fit around the 3x4 pipe. The bottom of the paver can rest on the down spout cap. (after tamping) It will look much nicer. Details matter.

D Felix
07-17-2007, 05:18 PM
[QUOTE=Drafto;1898204]
LMAO! I immediately thought the same thing before I even read these posts! Dan, we sure think alike, huh? You still like it in Iowa?

Were you talking to me or Drafto? If you were talking to me, I don't live in IA, I live in IN!!! I don't think Drafto lives there either!

One of these days, I need to take a drive out to NE and visit..... :waving:

GreenMonster
07-17-2007, 10:13 PM
[QUOTE=GreenMonster;1898739]
Were you talking to me or Drafto? If you were talking to me, I don't live in IA, I live in IN!!! I don't think Drafto lives there either!

One of these days, I need to take a drive out to NE and visit..... :waving:

I was talking to you. I know you don't live in Iowa... my point is, midwest is midwest. what's the difference?

You need to take a drive out to NE and stay.

forestfireguy
07-18-2007, 09:02 AM
I would have saw cut the driveway to take the bevel off and meet the asphalt better, other than that I like it, only other thing and this is just my taste, I like flowing lines, near the door where you have that little pad I'd have left a radius instead of a hard corner especially since you flared out at the end, which I would have done also.......

forestfireguy
07-18-2007, 09:06 AM
Cleuci,

Looks like techo elana to me........

H3AdBaBY
07-25-2007, 10:02 PM
Thanks for all the great advice, you've all been quit helpful!

COPEBLK: "take a picture, looks like your soldier course does some funky things here"

TTHOMASS: "it's an outline of a landing in an arch going from wall to wall......just architecture"

Yep, that's exactly what it is. My first attempt at cutting pavers. I'm not entirely pleased with the craftsmanship but it'll have to do. For now.

http://www.headbaby.com/entry.jpg

D FELIX: "It's hard to tell from the one pic, but if you don't have the edge restraint nailed at least every 12-14", you need more spikes!"

You know, I wondered about that. I got eight spikes with the restraint, about enough for every two feet or so and it sure didn't seem like that was enough. I'll definitely get more spikes!

"Oh, one more thing- paint your SDR 35 downspout drain to match/blend with the siding! It sticks out like a sore thumb right now!!!"

Yep, already planning on that. I have the paint I had color matched to the siding from painting the deck fence.

ESHSKIS: "Cut a piece of stone for behind the gas pipe and you are good to go."

DRAFTO: "Definitely play with the saw to custom cut a piece for behind the pipe."

Will do! I wish that danged conduit wasn't there, and same for the conduit up by the door. Unfortunately, that's the way the previous owner ran power to the garage and AC. I don't have the budget or time right now to re-do all the blunders they made.

CLEUCI: "What brand/color paver is that?"

That paver is manufactured by Belgard and is the Dublin Cobble Modular in Silas Gray. At least that's what we ordered. (yes, we had issues with the brickyard.)

ESHSKIS: "Want a job?"

NO! I'm in enough pain already!

heh.. actually, if I was a lot younger I'd take you up on that. I enjoy doing work like this. It's tough but there is a definite sense of satisfaction after a good days labor and I enjoy creating and seeing the fruits of my labors. I'm a graphic artist, so I get to create and build all day long, but it's all computerized. Some days the only physical labor I do is moving the mouse around. Every spring I threaten to quit and go work with the landscapers. Someday I will!

GREG1: "There are some things that could have and should have been done differently, but the finished job looks great. Your next test is longevity. Did you prepare your base correctly?"

Thanks. I have indeed learned quit a bit and would do things a little differently were I to do this again. I'm pleased with it enough to plan a couple small patio/step areas for the doors and a small walkway up the side yard - next year though!

I dug the base far too deep and I hope it doesn't come back to haunt me. By the time I dug out limestone gavel, non-functional drain pipe, concrete chunks, sand, clay rotten wood, etc. I was about two feet deep. I laid down the geotex and then filled with almost 10 ton of crushed limestone, compacted with a plate compactor in lifts of 3".

KOOTOOMOOTOO: "...no runway lights too."

But... I *like* those lights. Ha! I'd never seen those before this summer and at first I thought they were pretty cool, but on second thought, all I could visualize were those blinking runway lights.

CHAMPIONLS: "I say you cut that ugly S&D pipe below grade. It's right near the door!. Extend your leader down and cut a paver nicely to fit around the 3x4 pipe. The bottom of the paver can rest on the down spout cap. (after tamping) It will look much nicer. Details matter."

Wow! Brilliant idea, I never thought about doing that. I wasn't totally pleased with the idea of painting it to match. That's where the downspout ends, hanging way up in the air, it never occurred to me to change it. I can steal a longer pipe off the back of the garage and it'll be perfect.

FORESTFIREGUY: "I like flowing lines, near the door where you have that little pad I'd have left a radius instead of a hard corner especially since you flared out at the end, which I would have done also..."

Yeah, I agree. That's one of those things I learned over the course of this project. I started up near the door and at that point I was terrified of cutting the pavers and attempting a curve, hence the squared off design. The arch near the door was an afterthought. Now, with a little practical experience behind me, I'll cut anything.

I've been reading all the posts on LawnSite.com for months trying to learn all I could and I thinks it's paid off. Thanks again for all the advice.

zedosix
07-25-2007, 11:58 PM
Looks like a nice clean job. Have one question concerning slopes. Doesn't look like you were able to slope it from the door to the driveway, how much slope and which direction does the water flow? Keep up the good work.

ChampionLS
07-27-2007, 12:53 AM
It looks great! (Even better when the downspout work is done). On such a small walkway, I wouldn't worry about slope being critical. Sometimes you have no choice and aesthetics matter. Any rain water will quickly spill off as is. It's the larger areas that tend to require more slope.