PDA

View Full Version : Stihl Fs85 clutches

A Leaf Above
07-15-2007, 03:38 PM
Does anyone have or know where i can get a parts/assembly drawing for this unit ..Need to replace clutches and would like to see a parts breakdown first ..Thanks to all .

Ron

Roger
07-15-2007, 04:19 PM
I have an FS85 trimmer. It is about five years old. I too would love to have a parts book, but Stihl apparently only provides those to their dealers. Notice there is no online parts sales of Stihl equipment.

I have asked the local dealer, and they have accommodated me with a printed page, or pages, when I buy the parts. I have also written to Stihl, and they state their policy is not to distribute parts manuals, or to sell through channels other than local dealers.

I have replaced some parts in my clutch. Why do you say "need to replace clutches?" The clutch is very simple, six dogs in groups of two. Each two dogs are held together with a spring. This unit is connected to the engine. The shaft end has a cup-shaped unit, into which the part the engine unit is inserted. When the engine speed is advanced, the dogs fly outward because of centrifugal force, engaging on the inside surface of the cup.

In my case, one spring broke, which meant two of the six dogs were not being retracted when the engine was in idle. The repair was simple -- taking the two units apart, exposing the flywheel. The spring was replaced, and the two units reattached. Unfortunately, I failed to take any photos of the repair.

A Leaf Above
07-15-2007, 05:10 PM
Roger , Thank you very much for your reply .
The reason i wanted some kind of breakdown draWING WAS DUE TO THE FACT THAT I HAVE NEVER had to replace clutches or springs on any stihl equipment be4 ..I will try what you had mentioned and thank you very much for your reply ..
Thanks ,
Ron

lawnmaniac883
07-15-2007, 10:19 PM
Roger , Thank you very much for your reply .
The reason i wanted some kind of breakdown draWING WAS DUE TO THE FACT THAT I HAVE NEVER had to replace clutches or springs on any stihl equipment be4 ..I will try what you had mentioned and thank you very much for your reply ..
Thanks ,
Ron

They really are simple mechanisms but if you have any trouble post a pic and someone can guide you in the right direction.