PDA

View Full Version : FB460v problem

devnuts
07-15-2007, 06:25 PM
I have an exmark with a kawasaki FB460v that died in me. Heres what I have done:
1. New spark plug
2. New fuel filter
3. Tore down and cleaned carb
4. Checked and blew out fuel lines
5. Checked ignitier and coil with multimeter....seem alright

it does get spark but I am thinking it may be a weak ignitor coil that fails when it heats up....any ideas/suggestions???

khouse
07-16-2007, 12:51 AM
You didn't say that it starts and runs untill it gets hot? You did say it was dead. You did say that it has spark. So I'm thinking you need to check the flywheel key.

Beaterman
07-19-2007, 08:55 AM
Check fuel shut-off solenoid on carb (if equipped). Resistance check on ignitors a poor indicator at best, first be sure ignitor has real good clean ground connection. Yes they can fail intermittantly and/or when hot and deliver weak spark.

Mark in MD
07-20-2007, 08:30 AM
First thing I'd do is clean the carbureator valve areas inside the bowl.

devnuts
07-23-2007, 07:11 PM
Replaced the igniter cable.....Now the engine will only fire if it is primed with a little fuel in the carb...runs for a couple of seconds and shuts right down. What next?

Restrorob
07-23-2007, 07:29 PM
Given the fact it only runs on what fuel you put in the throat of the carb sounds like you still have something plugged (main jet) inside the carb....

devnuts
07-23-2007, 07:35 PM
how do you go about making sure the main jet is not clogged?? Just blow some air in there?

IA_James
07-23-2007, 07:50 PM
Remove it, shoot it full of PB Blaster, and the shoot some air into it. Make sure to look away, you don't want that stuff in your eyes. You'll know if you got it all the way clean if when you look through the holes it is a nice, neat, perfect circle. Should just unscrew out of the body of the carb once you have it disassembled. It will probably be made of brass.

Restrorob
07-23-2007, 08:41 PM
how do you go about making sure the main jet is not clogged?? Just blow some air in there?

Just exactly how and what did you use to clean the inside of the carb ?

This is a paste from another thread;

Spray all ports/passages and jets out with carb & choke spray cleaner with the little straw followed by compressed air if available, Sounds like you still have a restriction in the carb.

The thread I posted this in the carb wasn't cleaned well enough and the second cleaning solved the problem.