PDA

View Full Version : Solo man during fall clean-ups

gobblet
07-15-2007, 06:03 PM
We'll I have come to accept that this fall I will be doing leaf clean-ups solo. Since I have done this whole year solo so far. I will hire if I can find someone, but want to plan on being solo if I have too. My question is looking for any advise on equipment or products that might save me some time and effort(new or with current equipment-mulching unit,push blower cadies ect.)

My leaf removal equipment
Scag tiger cub with bagging unit
Snapper 48inch hydro with bag
2 shindawia eb8510 blowers
1 little wonder 8hp push blower

Some info on leaf removal properties that I have.
All have curb pick-up or can be dumped on site
Zero can be used on all properties
Total mans hours spent last year removing leaves on the current properties that I have 232(man hours) which one property was 122(man hours by itself)

Oh! by the way is this possible to do solo?

carcrz
07-15-2007, 06:09 PM
Use a blower to blow everything away from obstacles & then bag it w/ the mower. Then dump it in the bed & cover it up w/ a tarp.

Southwest Lawns
07-15-2007, 06:44 PM
I have done it solo for three years now. My set up is Walker GHS and a redmax 8000 backpack blower. Purchased a 13 hp Billy Goat walk behind for this fall.

cantoo
07-15-2007, 07:27 PM
My wife does most of her leaf properties by herself. Walker GHS, 2 backpack blowers and a leaf loader on our 1 ton dump truck. The loader is mounted to the front and piped to the rear to make it easy to load and ump. Trailer for the Walker and blowers. Sometimes she just takes the Walker and dumps everything by the curb and when I get home or it gets dark she goes back and does the pickup with the loader and truck. Do a search on my user name and you will see pics of our truck setup.

HydroCutter
07-15-2007, 07:31 PM
I do by myself. I have a blower and a little wonder push vaccuum. I blow leaves into piles or up along a fence then suck up w/ vaccuum. I have to cart them away, so it works out nice b/c vaccuum shreds them to fit more into truck. I don't think a wheel blower works that well w/ one person. Just my opinion.

Dave

RAlmaroad
07-15-2007, 07:46 PM
In SC the live oak trees do not shed their leaves until March--that right. Just in time for the grass to start to green up. And of course you've got to get them up before putting down any pre-em or fertilizer. It's uncredible how many of those small wooden leave can fall from huge live oaks-some spreading to 50 feet. I do not do leaves for my neighbors but only for myself.. Last year I had 60 huge contractor bags of leaves. I could only get 12 full bags in the Regular Chevy bed. I found that bagging them as they began to fall with a high vac mower did well. The thing was to get ahead of the curve. Mowing early in the morning when they are damp with dew helps with the dust.
Not really to your plight but use the baggers early in the morning would help.

rodfather
07-16-2007, 05:58 AM
122 man hours of cleanup on just 1 property???!!!

carcrz
07-16-2007, 08:52 AM
Rod, those are the figures for last year, not one time service.

cantoo
07-16-2007, 03:37 PM
carcrz, here is the quote. which one property was 122(man hours by itself)
Looks like it was one property. I would be interested in hearing more from the starter on this property.

carcrz
07-16-2007, 03:53 PM
carcrz, here is the quote. which one property was 122(man hours by itself)
Looks like it was one property. I would be interested in hearing more from the starter on this property.

It is one property, I never said it wasn't. Those numbers are the man-hours for last year, not one event. Could you imagine what it would take to be at one place for 120 man-hours? As soon as you were done, you'd have to do it all over again.

rodfather
07-16-2007, 03:55 PM
It is one property, I never said it wasn't. Those numbers are the man-hours for last year, not one event. Could you imagine what it would take to be at one place for 120 man-hours? As soon as you were done, you'd have to do it all over again.

exactly...you could never leave :laugh:

J&R Landscaping
07-16-2007, 04:14 PM
For my leaf set-up, I'm using: Echo pb 403 bp blower, Echo pb651 bp blower, and this spring I bought myself a billygoat truck loader.

Since you just have to move the leaves from one area of th property to another, you should be good with what you have. It would be different if you had to contain the leaves and trnasport them to a different location for disposal.

gobblet
07-16-2007, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the replies. Gonna be putting mulching blades on this fall trying to cut down on amount of leaves to move and or bag.

KS_Grasscutter
07-16-2007, 07:18 PM
Last fall my cleanup equipment was a Stihl BG85 to blow out beds and stuff, and a 44" Dixon to mow everything up (had JX75 for back yards). Dumped all the leaves into my trailer (it has 2 foot expanded metal sides), and used a friends trailer to haul equipment on (I really hope that is an option again this year as that worked out great on some of the bigger cleanups I did). It looks like this year I am (hopefully, if I get it bought) using a 42" Walker MTGHS. I can just back it up the trailer to dump...that will be soo easy!!! Also am going to have a BP blower this year (Either Echo 755? or Stihl BR600).

LarryF
07-17-2007, 11:26 AM
We'll I have come to accept that this fall I will be doing leaf clean-ups solo. Since I have done this whole year solo so far. I will hire if I can find someone, but want to plan on being solo if I have too. My question is looking for any advise on equipment or products that might save me some time and effort(new or with current equipment-mulching unit,push blower cadies ect.)

My leaf removal equipment
Scag tiger cub with bagging unit
Snapper 48inch hydro with bag
2 shindawia eb8510 blowers
1 little wonder 8hp push blower

Some info on leaf removal properties that I have.
All have curb pick-up or can be dumped on site
Zero can be used on all properties
Total mans hours spent last year removing leaves on the current properties that I have 232(man hours) which one property was 122(man hours by itself)

Oh! by the way is this possible to do solo?

Well I'm just a home owner, so maybe I shouln't be saying anything, but I noticed that none of the other responses mentioned a Cyclone Rake. I have one and pulling it with my ZTR, by myself, I clear my lot of leaves in the same time that my neighbor's LCO crew of 6 do the same thing with leaf blowers and tarps. My neighbor's lot and mine are about the same size, and he pays his LCO $700 for a leaf clean-up. I've had the CR a few years now and since here in NJ leaf clean-up is needed both in the fall and spring, I believe it has paid for itself several times over. I'm sure that for you, gobblet, a Cyclone Rake would pay for itself in just a couple of days. Mine is the smallest that is sold, but you may want something larger.

supercuts
07-17-2007, 03:00 PM
i use a 16hp tow behind a ZTR blower by giant vac, saves unbelievable time. blow them to the edge of a lawn, mow/grind them up, finish blowing them in, you never see them. extremely fast but $3K

Lohse's Lawn Service
07-17-2007, 04:43 PM
I purchased an Echo Shred 'n' Vac, used it a couple of times already. This year, I actually look forward to doing fall cleanups!

prizeprop
07-17-2007, 05:15 PM
Dumping on site is definately in your favor!

deereequipment
07-17-2007, 05:42 PM
go buy:
a good blower (back pack may be most comforable)
a good mower will collection system
a suction system if you have to haul them away (alot easier than tarping!)
and if you can find a good deal, buy

I have 2 employees, one which is part time. This works great.
More than one blower is needed sometimes to get the leaves moving.
SOmetimes by yourself, it seems like you are beating yourself up.

with this lack of rain, I have never looked forward to leaf cleanups as I am now.

a good mexican or two.

brucec32
07-17-2007, 05:56 PM
Try a good mower with a mulching kit. Not for every situation, but works well here. A poor mulcher (various brands), an underpowered machine, or too-heavy leaf accumulations will not work as well as getting out every week or two and zipping around to clean off the lawn.

ed2hess
07-17-2007, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the replies. Gonna be putting mulching blades on this fall trying to cut down on amount of leaves to move and or bag.

That is the right answer mulch them down with outlet closed until there is nothing left....lot more fun riding then carrying a big backpack around. Never seen leaves that can't be mulched by running the machine in reverse across them.

mezammit
07-17-2007, 08:19 PM
I do by myself. I have a blower and a little wonder push vaccuum. I blow leaves into piles or up along a fence then suck up w/ vaccuum. I have to cart them away, so it works out nice b/c vaccuum shreds them to fit more into truck. I don't think a wheel blower works that well w/ one person. Just my opinion.

Dave

I was thinking of buying a little wonder vacume. I read some things on them a it is always mixed reviews. Do they clog up often fill up often. Just asking for an opinion.