PDA

View Full Version : New Kawasaki 19HP: ran with gas in oil. Permanent damage?

steveprins
07-16-2007, 12:39 AM
New Hustler Mini Z just bought, and I'm wondering how much I should demand from dealer...
- 3 hours logged on engine and it just stopped: carb needle valve apparently stuck resulting in no start, gas smell coming out exhaust. after a couple cranks, engine appeared to seize when trying to start.
- Dealer came out to house next day and mower started. I logged a couple more hours on mower and it happened again (engine just killed), this time I noticed gas *pouring* out exhaust when attempting to start and also gas in oil. Most likely gas was in oil when I was mowing that day for two hours.
- Dealer has mower and will "fix it".

QUESTION: Has permanent damage possibly been done?
- engine appeared to seize, perhaps scoring cylinder walls (vapor lock?).
- Engine ran for a couple hours, undoubtedly with gas in oil.
- Should dealer just check compression? How will I know it's OK?

Thanks!

khouse
07-16-2007, 12:48 AM
I think your seizing issue was no more than fuel in the cylinder. Since theoretically a liquid will not compress you probably just had a hydraulic lock situation. I don't think you'll have any issues on longevity after the carb is repaired.

bigbug
07-24-2007, 12:46 AM
Hello:

The EXACT same thing is happening to me. I bought a 2006 Hustler Mini Z with a 19HP Kawasaki in June The engine is flooding and running out the exhaust. I have had it to the dealer and after a new fuel pump and float kit (needle and seat and maybe float) it is doing it again. I am really frustrated. The dealer is looking at putting a new carb. on it. Keep me posted. This is really bothering me. I have had to change the oil twice now. After I got it I noticed this and then it happened to me two more times. happned today after all the work on it. AAAHHH!!!! the dealer has been good to work with but I sure wanted less trouble from a new mower.

bigbug
08-14-2007, 04:56 PM
Did the dealer ever tell you what was wrong with the engine/carb.?

thanks...

fixer67
08-14-2007, 10:23 PM
Yes, Permanent damage was done but how much is unknown. I have seen engines that had this happen and never run again and I have seen this happen to engines that ran for years afterwards. There is no way of really telling without a tear down. You can do leak down tests and such to get some idea of the level of damage but a tear down is the only sure fire way of knowing. Only time will tell.

bigbug
10-25-2007, 09:07 PM
Hello All:

The dealer got Kawasaki to replace the Carb. on my unit and it has been fine ever since. I am thankful my dealer stuck to it and got it fixed. My dealer is Caney Valley Equipment near Dewey, OK. Thanks to Tom Culver.