PDA

View Full Version : Uplighting Front Columns on a House

pglover19
07-16-2007, 07:57 AM
Hello,

Can you use the Vista Professional 2220 accent lights to uplight front columns on a home? Would you use a 20 watt or 35 watt MR16 bulb?

Here is a link to the light fixture.....
http://www.vistapro.com/Product.aspx?ProdID=128&CatID=1&typeID=1

The website is wrong is that the maximum wattage is 35 and not 20.

NightScenes
07-16-2007, 08:16 AM
I would use a fixture with a glare shield of some kind. As for wattage, that would depend on the color of the columms. If they are a light color, you would probably use a 20 watt lamp. Dark color would need a 35 watt. Then of course you have the beam spread issue.

pglover19
07-16-2007, 10:55 AM
I would use a fixture with a glare shield of some kind. As for wattage, that would depend on the color of the columms. If they are a light color, you would probably use a 20 watt lamp. Dark color would need a 35 watt. Then of course you have the beam spread issue.

The color is painted white and the column is about 12" round. I currently own about 10 of the Vista 2220 and were trying to use them. Are you suggesting that these fixtures will not work for this application? Can you explain the beam spread issue with the 35 watt bulb.....

NightScenes
07-16-2007, 01:25 PM
These fixtures will work but since there is no glare shield, you will have to deal with the glare. Take a look at the 2220-LS or the 2250.

You would not want to use a 35 watt MR16 on white columns. This would be way too bright. Try a 20 watt lamp with a 24 degree beam spread. This will be wider than you need but will cover more of the upper sofit. I'm not much for the narrow spots unless it is a very tall column or I am targeting a very specific focal point.

pglover19
07-16-2007, 01:36 PM
These fixtures will work but since there is no glare shield, you will have to deal with the glare. Take a look at the 2220-LS or the 2250.

You would not want to use a 35 watt MR16 on white columns. This would be way too bright. Try a 20 watt lamp with a 24 degree beam spread. This will be wider than you need but will cover more of the upper sofit. I'm not much for the narrow spots unless it is a very tall column or I am targeting a very specific focal point.

Can you recommend a specific lighting fixture (make and model) and the specific 20 watt MR 16 bulb (make and model) you are referring to? This will give me something to compare to the Vista Pro 2220.

NightScenes
07-16-2007, 04:47 PM
Can you recommend a specific lighting fixture (make and model) and the specific 20 watt MR 16 bulb (make and model) you are referring to? This will give me something to compare to the Vista Pro 2220.

In the previous post I included a couple of Vista fixtures. You might be able to trade in the ones that you have for those (if they are new). As for the lamps, I would suggest using a BBF which is 20 watt/24 degree. I would also consider the use of a frosted lens.

Pro-Scapes
07-16-2007, 06:19 PM
we did some 25 ft high white colums... 20w 24deg with frosted lens just like paul is telling you.... if you need more sofit coverage you may wish to go 36 degree which we have also used on colums without frosted lenses and had excellent results despite a less than ideal mounting position

sprinkler guy
07-17-2007, 02:38 AM
The color is painted white and the column is about 12" round. I currently own about 10 of the Vista 2220 and were trying to use them. Are you suggesting that these fixtures will not work for this application? Can you explain the beam spread issue with the 35 watt bulb.....

You say the columns are 12" around , but don't give a height or say how you plan to position the light in regards to the columns. If the lights are going to be right at the base, the frosted lens is a good idea, as well as the 20 watt/24 degree bulbs.

pglover19
07-17-2007, 08:04 AM
You say the columns are 12" around , but don't give a height or say how you plan to position the light in regards to the columns. If the lights are going to be right at the base, the frosted lens is a good idea, as well as the 20 watt/24 degree bulbs.

The columns are about 10 foot high and sits on the base on the front porch. The base of the porch is brick and the steps from the porch leads down to the walkway. From the column to the ground, it's about 3 foot.

I have positioned the lights on the ground in front of each column. The lights are about 12 to 14 inches away from the brick base of the porch. I have chosen to use the Vista Pro 2220 with a 20 watt/24 degree bulb. Also Vista technician support recommended using a honeycomb louver in each light which I have installed. Although, the fixture/light is not visible as you walk down the steps or from any other location.

Let me know what you think about this setup.....

Pro-Scapes
07-17-2007, 08:39 AM
The columns are about 10 foot high and sits on the base on the front porch. The base of the porch is brick and the steps from the porch leads down to the walkway. From the column to the ground, it's about 3 foot.

I have positioned the lights on the ground in front of each column. The lights are about 12 to 14 inches away from the brick base of the porch. I have chosen to use the Vista Pro 2220 with a 20 watt/24 degree bulb. Also Vista technician support recommended using a honeycomb louver in each light which I have installed. Although, the fixture/light is not visible as you walk down the steps or from any other location.

Let me know what you think about this setup.....

If the light is not visible and there is no glare i see no need for a louver. I don't believe you mentioned the brick base before. How did it look when you lit them up. When doing columns I am generally closer that that. Seem it usually ends up right near the base either due to plantings or other space restrictions with good results. In your case and since there is obviously room I would maybe look to push that fixture in a tad... can use less angle on the adjustment and get a graze on it. Play around and see what you like,.

NightScenes
07-17-2007, 08:40 AM
If the fixture is not visible, you shouldn't need the louver or a glare shield because glare is not an issue if you can't see the light source. I would still recommend the frosted lens though. This will even the beam out and soften it as well.

Just my .02

steveparrott
07-18-2007, 11:16 AM
Here's some column pics to give you some ideas. In each case, a CAST MR16 bullet was used at the base, either stake mounted or canopy mounted. White columns reflect a lot of light so it's never necessary to go above 20w - usually narrow (12 degree), but sometimes medium (24 degree) if the column is wide (and/or the fixture cannot be mounted in a bed beneath it). Well lights can also be used if the bullet is too obtrusive. Ideally, the fixture is positioned in such a way so as to graze the column fairly evenly from bottom to top (minimize hot spot). - this usually requires the fixture to be mounted nearly to vertical.

(Lighting designers of these photos are Scott Driscol, Michael Gotowala and John DeBoer.)

klkanders
07-18-2007, 05:59 PM
Very nice pics Steve!

Lite4
07-20-2007, 02:22 AM
ditto, bravo on the pics. Just got a new Nikon, can't wait to try it.