PDA

View Full Version : About to shove the Mower in the lake!!

midlandlawncare
07-16-2007, 11:04 AM
Hey guys I've spent the entire season trying to get my hustler to run right. I t just has no spark.. replaced the ignition switch , it ran for a bit...cleaned the coil's it ran for a bit ...some days it will crank and i haven't got a clue why . right now thw grass is a foot high and my z is out of comission , i've already taken it to 2 shops where they have done the work mentioned above , my closet dealer is 25 miles in the wrong direction, and they haven't fixed it yet.. the funny thing is it either has full spark or none at all :confused: , what else cuts off the ignition besides the kill wire going to the coils? I 've had those disconnected when it WAS cranking and still was able to turn it off at the switch, how is that ? and yes i have fuel.Something is killing the ignition , i just don't know what, any help would be great.

LindblomRJ
07-16-2007, 11:54 AM
Check some of the safety features.

Restrorob
07-16-2007, 12:25 PM
OOOK.....What engine are we dealing with ? Model & Spec. #'s, What model Hustler ? Model & Serial #'s.....

It most likely shut down with the switch while the coil kill wires were off due to killing power to a fuel cut-off solenoid.

midlandlawncare
07-16-2007, 09:45 PM
2005 hustler 52" mini z, 330hrs ,honda 24hp , by the way i can spray starting fluid , etc when it does this and theres is no diff. there is just no spark at all, so i don't believe its a fuel problem , but today i went outside, sprayed the entire engine , coils, etc with fog oil to protect it in case it rained , ( engine cover was off) it sat in the sun all day , at 3 o', clock it cranked WTF? :confused: , it has done this before, and for some reason if i coat it with oil and put in the sun and let it sit... it cranks. what the hell does that mean? i don't think it is a moisture prob. because it does this dry or damp.

khouse
07-16-2007, 10:38 PM
I'm pretty sure you mean "It starts" instead of "It cranks" These are two different things.
Are your plug wires cracked?
Have you replaced the plugs?
Is there moisture in the plug boots?

midlandlawncare
07-16-2007, 11:31 PM
brand new ngk's , pretty sure boots are dry , and no cracks , its either all or nothing , runs perfect with a turn of the key , or won't start at all, i mean not even a misfire, nothing ... what else can kill the engine instantly by turning the switch off? besides the kill wires on the coil? i mean with those unplugged and the engine running , wouldn't it just run ? how else is the engine turned off? rectifier?

midlandlawncare
07-17-2007, 03:01 PM
ideas? anybody? it won't crank today, damn .

khouse
07-17-2007, 06:40 PM
It's not cranking or not starting?

Restrorob
07-17-2007, 07:30 PM
OOOK.....What engine are we dealing with ? Model & Spec. #'s, What model Hustler ? Model & Serial #'s.....

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=144040

midlandlawncare
07-17-2007, 08:57 PM
05 hustler 52 mini z, 322 hrs , honda 24hp v-twin, 671cc, engine fam. 1hnxs. 6712AK

Grass Happens
07-17-2007, 09:14 PM
when you say spray oil, you mean like wd-40? If so, its displacing moisture from someplace that was a causing a short. Just like the old days, when cars still had distributors, sometimes moisture would build up in there, and cause a no-spark situation. Spray some WD and it would all go away. did you do an ohm test on the coils? awe had 2 kawi's that had similar problems last year, and it just took a mechanic with flow charts, a test light and a multi-meter a long time to figure it out. Turns out the coil was bad, and the OEM Kaw replacement coil was bad as well as a goofy short in the natural safety switch.

XB 2002
07-18-2007, 05:01 AM
As stated check all your safety interlock switches and also try jumping out the low oil shutdown that Honda's generally have. It's gonna be something simple that is killing the fire.
Good Luck !!:clapping:

geckos
07-18-2007, 09:44 AM
last summer I had same problem with our hustler I am assuming that this is a sit down model? ours would not start about every other day and we finaly tracked it down to the safety switch in the seat once we bipassed that switch it started and ran from then on just a thought to check safety switches sounds like from time to time your not gettin a proper connection

midlandlawncare
07-19-2007, 11:42 PM
you don't hafta be on the seat to crank it, just turn to on blade, levers , etc

geckos
07-20-2007, 01:00 AM
realalized that after I posted sorry blades wouldnt engage on mower after we fixed the no spark problem which if I remember was a bad pto engagement switch that was not disengaging or at least was still making contact so that the mower wouldnt start because it thought that the blades were engaged. maybe try looking into your blade engage ours was a pull up knob but we had an older model so not sure what yours has. good luck and keep us up to date might help us out as well