PDA

View Full Version : Duramax or powerstroke

deere615
07-16-2007, 10:14 PM
Which diesel would you guys pick and why, Duramax or powerstorke.

Mike33
07-16-2007, 10:18 PM
Oh god, here we go again.:hammerhead:
Mike

Ferdelance
07-16-2007, 10:30 PM
If you look, you'll see this topic has been beat to death. You may as well ask if people prefer Coke or Pepsi, because people will always like one over the other.

POPO4995
07-16-2007, 11:06 PM
I own a Powerstroke and I say Duramax!:)

tthomass
07-16-2007, 11:12 PM
International.......oh wait, that ones in the shop. Of the two I'll go Duramax FTW.

mow king
07-17-2007, 01:02 AM
I own a powerstroke and after driving a duramax, i say duramax...however I've told thousands of loads with a powerstroke and never towed with a duramax...so take it with a grain of salt

Willofalltrades
07-17-2007, 12:32 PM
Which Engine? The new D-max or the new Powerstroke. If your looking at the 6.0 powerstroke than get a D-max. If you are looking at the new 6.4L powerstroke than I say that instead of the d-max. I work at a Ford dealer. The 6.0 is garbage... just ask the service techs. But the new 6.4 isn't having half the problems that the 6.0 had at this point. Ford did a road test and drove a 6.4 150000 miles nonstop all accross the country. The truck was only shut off for service (oil changes n such). It should be on the website.

Eric D
07-17-2007, 12:43 PM
A friend of mine that works at a dealer sent this to me this morning:

A 2005 Powerstroke owner was pulling a 5th wheel up for the weekend last night through the Salt River Canyon and his tranny started slipping. A guy in a 2006 Duramax pulled over and asked him what the problem was so he explained. The Duramax guy offered to tow him out of the canyon and into town. The Ford guy said fine and began unhooking his 5th wheel. The Chevy guy told him not to bother and pulled the Ford (with the 5th wheel attached) out of the canyon and into our shop. The guy in the Ford said the Chevy was reaching speeds higher than the Ford on the way to the canyon! We sold the guy a 2007 Classic durmax in about 3 minutes!

GroundEffects125
07-17-2007, 12:59 PM
I would go with a 7.3 power stoke but thats what i have but luxury i would go with a chevy

tthomass
07-17-2007, 06:16 PM
haha, thats awsome eric.........reminds me of the commericial where a 3500 DMAX is the 'engine' of a train.

Eric D
07-17-2007, 07:07 PM
haha, thats awsome eric.........reminds me of the commericial where a 3500 DMAX is the 'engine' of a train.

Thomas,

Itís funny you should mention a commercial. That was my firends and my thought too. However, with the current automotive climate I doubt this would happen. Ford Motor Company needs all the help they can get right now. I would hate to see them bought out by some Japanese company. I have a number of friends that have taken the buy out from Fords. I have two other family members that retired from them. Both are worried sick about possibility of loosing more or all of their health insurance and even their pension.

Eric D

tthomass
07-17-2007, 07:44 PM
Yeah I know, I am a Chevy guy and will probably never buy a Ford based on the fact that I'm a Chevy guy......same as the Ford guys looking at Chevy, both have kinks but you tend to stick with one.

I would hate to see Ford bought out. That would be like a kick in the a** if a Jap company pulled that off.

On top of being a Chevy guy I'm also an import guy. I've got a Honda I'm prepping for race......but would I buy a Honda truck, nope.

deere615
07-17-2007, 09:55 PM
Guys thanks for all the posts so far. Me and my friend Have been fighting over this and I know everyone has their own opinions but I just wanted too see what was more popular.
Brad

tthomass
07-17-2007, 11:41 PM
Go drive both, decide for yourself. Maybe you'll get the sales guy I did at a Dodge dealer.......I took a 3500 crew cab long bed 4x4 Cummins for a test drive and qoute: "If you want to take it off road I don't care"

MGV
07-18-2007, 12:14 AM
I know a guy that works for the local Ford dealer and they said that there has been a recall on the new 6.4 powerstroke. I guess they had to detune the engine some, so now its not making the power Ford claims it would have. Also they have seen and have heard from other dealers that the small turbo shaft is breaking. I test drove both the new 6.4 and the d-max, they both have tons of power but I'm not spending that kind of money on a first year engine and end up with a piece of crap. I'm going with the d-max it has been around since 1999 and GM has improved it every year.

Detroitdan
07-18-2007, 12:56 AM
I heard the 6.4 was likely to have the same problems the 6.0 had at first, because they are still running the same poorly designed head. I also heard they designed the bigger engine because they could not make the 6.0 meet the "green" requirements that the feds are finally beginning to require of diesels. And to make the 6.4 compliant they ended up with a total dog that was emissions compliant but had no power. So they had to add the second turbo just to make the thing competitive in the light truck market. But they advertise it like it's a twin turbo high performance machine.
I drove a 4500 D-max for a while, had a 20 foot rack body and liftgate loaded down with equipment and towing a 10k trailer with either a skidsteer or small excavator. I was always in the hammer lane on the hills, passing all the trucks. That thing never ran out of power. If it's such a strong motor in a medium duty, then I imagine it's way more than enough motor for a little pickup truck.

rfed32
07-21-2007, 01:27 AM
...coke...

the only thing i heard was on the new new fords they have the twin turbo and if somehting goes wrong with that 2nd turbo they have to take the body off the frame to get to it...but dont qoute me on the im telling you what i heard...i personally like the chevys but think the cloths seats suck they arent comffie but the leather are nice but its a work truck and ull beat them up...i would go test drive them both see what u like better...good luck

fool32696
07-22-2007, 06:09 PM
Durability wise I'd take a 7.3 powerstroke that was available until 03. Not much power but will last forever. That said I have an 02 Duramax that I've never had a problem with. I was always a ford guy but since they've dropped the 7.3 they've been way behind GM in the diesel wars. I drove my buddies' 2007.5 Duramax and it's a monster. If I had to buy a new truck I'd have the Duramax in it. Dodge would have more consideration if they'd build a quality truck with a tranny that could handle the Cummins.

tthomass
07-22-2007, 10:57 PM
With todays technology there is no excuse for the crap automakers produce. For should just talk International into dropping the DT466 into their pickups and call it a day. Go Dodge, go manual and how hard is it for them to build a suspension that holds up........all of this, so sad. Chevy is solid and the others have to catch up. Speaking of which, seen Transformers? Nice 5500 pickup.......I want.

grassmanak
07-22-2007, 11:11 PM
Their is a lot better things to consider really, unless you are buying a plain jain work truck only to use for work and mowing, etc... then you need to think about comfort as well. Lots of us use our personal pickup as a work vehicle as well. I mean with 100,000 mile warrenties on everything now, its not such a big deal with stuff breaking like it use to be, try taking your family for a 1000 mile trip in a pickup that is like riding in a uhaul

wayne28
07-22-2007, 11:28 PM
I have both and my Duramax will pull my excavator around better than my Powerstroke hands down.

BotetourtBoy3
07-22-2007, 11:52 PM
im a Ford fan everyone in my family has ford trucks but i have heard that the Duramax is a much better choice i have a few farmer friends that have owend both Fords and Chevys they say the Duramax is a better choice so id go Chevy

02DURAMAX
07-23-2007, 02:53 AM
This is all you need to see.....I love my DURAMAX
http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/2007/shootout/hdshootout1.html