PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 or 4 horse briggs max engine squeals loudly

Robert Doubrava
09-01-2001, 12:04 AM
one day my dad and i were going to work on a push mower, when i started it, it made this shrieking, or squealing sound till we turned it off. what could be the cause of this?

khouse
09-01-2001, 12:13 AM
sounds like the blower housing is rubbing on the flywheel.

Robert Doubrava
09-01-2001, 12:21 AM
we spoke to a repairman, but he wasn't sure if the starter clutch locked up, or if the bearings needed grease.

Fish
09-01-2001, 12:23 AM
Your starter clutch is going bad. If you don't fix it , it will break
your spring, pulley, rope, etc.. Take off the top cover, and on top
of the flywheel is the clutch. Take a 1/4 inch nutdriver and remove
the screws and screen. With a knife, gently pry up the lid and
inside you will find 6 balls and the central piece that is supposed
to turn one way, and lock the other way. Lift that piece up and
clean the shaft with emery cloth . Spray it all down with wd-40
and dry up the excess and reinstall. You may have to replace it
if it is too bad.
Fish

Robert Doubrava
09-01-2001, 12:25 AM
that is a good idea. my dad will hav to check it for me.

khouse
09-01-2001, 12:26 AM
ok, i believe it IS the clutch, but it's not locked up. There is an oil hole in the top of it where a felt pad is to lube the bore of the clutch where it rides on the crank. That's the problem. If you can take the clutch off and put some white lithium grease there it will solve the problem. or you can feed the oil hole with oil.

Robert Doubrava
09-01-2001, 12:32 AM
i think i saw a hole when my dad took it off. i'll oil it next time we use it.

EJK2352
09-01-2001, 01:45 AM
Were you beating on the end of the crankshaft, were the starter clutch mounts???? If you did you may have mushroomed the crank slighty and this could causing the starter clutch to bind hence the squealing noise. ED

Robert Doubrava
09-01-2001, 01:48 AM
well, i believe the repair man my dad talked to said the clutch may have needed a little oil. thanks ED

Jeff in AL
09-05-2001, 12:06 AM
Robert, the problem, you are having is with the starter clutch.
Briggs and Stratton part number 399671, and the price is 10.65.
Goto your local mower shop and get this part.....

As far as repairing it your self, follow these steps:

1. Remove the plug wire from the plug
2. Remove the blower housing that the pullrope is located in. (one or two screws at most on top of the blower housing, and two more, located on the bottom of the housing, one screw on each side)
3. Remove the screen on the clutch, should be two or four screws.
4. Now you can remove the starter clutch, by using a 4"-6" 1/4 inch drive extention. Place the open square end of the extention, on to the larger ear of the clutch (where the screws were removed from), and give a good tap to the other end of the extention bar with a hammer, removes turning to the left.
IT WILL COME OFF...............
5. As stated by someone else, clean the end of the crankshaft, that the clutch rides on with some very light emery cloth, then apply just a very small amount of grease or better yet, use a dry lube.
6. Reinstall clutch, screen and blower housing......

NOTE: While you have the blower housing off of the engin, pull the rop a few times and make sure there is not any problems with the rewind spring and or pulley--if you pull the rope and it recoils it's self back--it's ok.

Jeff in AL

Robert Doubrava
09-05-2001, 12:10 AM
we already fixed the problem, but we didn't replace the clutch. we tore it apart and cleaned it out, and sprayed some industrial lubricant in it, and when we re-assembled it and started the engine, the problem was fixed! we were glad!:blob3: :blob4: :blob1:

khouse
09-05-2001, 12:15 AM
if you sprayed wd-40 in there you will have the same problem down the road. what was the spray lube you used? you can get spray lithium grease which would be great for that. penetrating oils don't have long lasting lube properties.

Robert Doubrava
09-05-2001, 06:52 PM
i don't know what kind of lubricant it was, but i know it is not wd-40. it is some kind of industrial lubricant.:alien: :blob3:

vipermanz
09-05-2001, 06:53 PM
Lubrimatic Multi Purpose Lithium Grease, That will keep it greasy for a LONG time!

Fish
09-06-2001, 09:30 AM
Don't use a grease as it will collect dirt and give you more
problems sooner. The only reason I suggested WD-40 is to wash
all of the grime out then dry up the excess, it should actually
be clean. I normally replace the whole part, but when someone
has this problem and not the right tools to replace the clutch,
I suggest they try this first. The felt piece on the other side of
the little hole should have a drop of oil if it is dry. Its function
is to trap/stop dirt from entering.
Fish