PDA

View Full Version : GPS for grading?

dogsluvtrux
07-17-2007, 09:50 AM
Does anyone out there use a GPS system for their grading applications? How about machine automation? Laser Systems? What types of systems do you use and on what equipment?

Scag48
07-17-2007, 12:53 PM
GPS is typically used on larger machines on very large projects. GPS is pretty accurate by itself, but some systems combine GPS and laser augmentation on dozers and graders to offer greater accuracy for finish grade machines. Excavators, scrapers, and compactors aren't typically involved with producing finished grade and usually don't run the laser augmentation, there's just no need. GPS by itself is accurate within an inch I want to say, which is good enough for rough work, but the laser boosts accuracy for those machines working the finish grade.

We use a Trimble laser unit and reciever. We have a magnet to slap the reciever up on the stick of an excavator, works pretty handy. I think for most guys laser units are the most that's required, GPS systems are incredibly expensive and require a lot of work to setup and make the most of. It requires that all the site information be logged in a datalogger and imported into a computer to create a 3D plan of the site. Lots of time, lots of $$$.

RockSet N' Grade
07-17-2007, 01:01 PM
I have a stick mounted Apache 6 receiver that I use with my laser. You can move the bucket 30 degrees each way off plumb and it will give you level. Pretty handy little device.........and........for $2,800 you too can have this new toy. It does free up my laborer to do other things other than be a stick man.