PDA

View Full Version : Fuel tank swithover valve.

klm2
07-17-2007, 10:53 AM
Is it necessary to have the fuel tank switchover valve. Why not draw from both tanks. Would they not stay at the same level?

Guzman Properties
07-17-2007, 10:55 AM
I'm not sure if pressure would make an effect on the carb.

I think it would be a good feature to have so that you know when one tank is empty and you are on your second tank.

MarcSmith
07-17-2007, 12:12 PM
probably not needed, but its nice when you run out of fuel a mile(so it feels like) from the truck you can switch over to the other tank and keep on truckin...

pressure would be irrelevant, the float bowl or fuel pump regulates the final product...

MowerMedic77
07-17-2007, 04:34 PM
Its funny to me to see this post, I just had a customer tell me that he shuts off one tank when not in use because he gets better fuel economy:confused:

He said he heard it from one of his buddies so he tried it all myth busters style :laugh: . He kept track of the amount of fuel and lawns cut having both tanks open and did the same closing one or the other off when not in use and he stated to me that yes he was able to do more lawns with the same amount of fuel. Now this is only a couple of random guys telling me this I have never tried it or tested it, but I would like to see if maybe some of the LCO's on this site notice a difference.

May just be an interesting little experiment :)

klm2
07-18-2007, 10:37 AM
I wonder if on steep slopes the uphill tank would tend to overflow the lower tank and maybe waste some fuel out the vent of the lower tank.

fixer67
07-21-2007, 09:52 PM
I wonder if on steep slopes the uphill tank would tend to overflow the lower tank and maybe waste some fuel out the vent of the lower tank.

I have seen that happen.

pugs
07-22-2007, 09:22 PM
I remember reading something about the Toro mini Z's...the 300 or whatever series. I think they have one way valves in the lines coming from each tank so the overflow wont happen. They do not have a tank switching valve.

The part I remember reading is when setting them up you have to put fuel in both tanks or it could suck air from one of the tanks causing some issues...