PDA

View Full Version : 2 horse briggs runs rough at top speed

Robert Doubrava
09-01-2001, 01:13 AM
the engine is a 2 hp briggs on an edger. when it runs at top speed, it backfires occasionally. what can i do to fix it?

Robert Doubrava
09-01-2001, 01:22 AM
it is also hard to start hot.

Robert Doubrava
09-01-2001, 01:35 AM
is it an air/fuel mixture problem?

EJK2352
09-01-2001, 01:38 AM
Try adjusting the high speed needle on the carburetor:) ED

Robert Doubrava
09-01-2001, 01:39 AM
ok. thank you, ED

khouse
09-01-2001, 04:12 PM
Robert,
Are you working on some of these engines for others? I was just wondering because you've had a lot of problems at the same time on different units. It's not a problem and I like trying to figure out engine problems. I am curious.

Doe's this engine run fine below full throttle and at idle. If it doe's then like mentioned above you probably have a high needle out of adjustment. Sounds like a lean missfire. Try going counter clockwise half a turn at a time. Sometimes the main jet gets clogged and you'll need to blow that out.

Guido
09-01-2001, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Robert Doubrava
the engine is a 2 hp briggs

Yup, there's your problem! I see most of your problems this week are with Briggs. Tell you something? :)

I am curious too, is it that you've had these problems and not this site, or did they all come at once, or are they someone elses?

Robert Doubrava
09-01-2001, 05:21 PM
well, all the engines are on my own equipment, except for the edger. i usually repair them with help from my dad, but i have been repairing the edger my self. some people think its weird that i do it myself, because i'm only 14!:) :D the engine sort of speeds up, then the RPMs go down like it is trying to "die", when it is running at an idle. also, the engine was made in 1969, and it still has the origional crankshaft, rod, piston, and carb.

Guido
09-01-2001, 05:39 PM
not on your edger!! ;)

Good Luck man!!

Robert Doubrava
09-01-2001, 05:47 PM
yep it should go in a museum,but my grandfather owns it.but i am going to ask him for it. :)

Robert Doubrava
09-01-2001, 07:31 PM
i hope i can fully restore it. it is in pretty good shape right now, but it can look better!:D :blob3: :blob4: :blob1:

khouse
09-02-2001, 01:02 AM
Robert, Your never too young to work on small engines. If your going to restore that edger then start with a major tune up. Start by adding electronic ignition. Go to your small engine parts store and ask for the Mega-Fire or Nova ignition module. Or one like them. Then buy a carb kit and install that. This will probably get it running fine.

Robert Doubrava
09-02-2001, 02:19 AM
there is a store in my town called mec cushman motor sales. they sell small engine parts, and they repair them. i like to go there and look at everything they have. it is a really cool store.:) when we overhauled the 7 horse briggs on the jacobsen, we bought every part for the engine at that store. for a rod, gasket set, breather tube, bowl gaket, and other miscellanious parts, it cost about 70.00 altogether. it was a good price for so many parts!:) :blob3:

Robert Doubrava
09-14-2001, 06:14 PM
the starter handle broke on it and i was wondering what kind of handle i should put on it.:blob3: :blob4: :blob1:

vipermanz
09-15-2001, 05:17 AM
just go to homedepot and buy a starter handle and rope kit,they're all the same in the long run

Robert Doubrava
09-16-2001, 03:20 PM
i was looking for one of the rubber two-piece handles with the logo on it.

vipermanz
09-17-2001, 12:06 AM
go to a b&s dealer then, they have all the oem parts

sdwally
09-17-2001, 10:02 AM
Sounds like the valves need adjusted. If the clearance is to small, at high speeds and when hot the unit can back fire. Usually the problem is the exhaust valve since it expands the most. Find the valve cover, usually behind and under the carb. Remove cover and check the valve lash, 0.007" intake and 0.011" exhaust(feeler gauge). If they don't slide in easy the engine needs a valve job. If this is the problem post a new message label valve job and I will respond, if you are up to it.

Robert Doubrava
09-17-2001, 05:59 PM
when my dad and i were in seguin, we went to a hardware store, and they had one.which was plastic, but i didn't care.it was good enough. i wish i could do a valve job on it, but my dad will have to help me, but he has been very busy. they had an explosion where he worked about a month ago, and he has had to work a lot. the reason why i cant do it myself, is because im only 14. i have not had a lot of practice. i am probably going to buy this briggs and stratton CD rom repair manual at wal mart for only 20.00. i usually go to www.briggsandstratton.com to the trouble shooting page for help. its cool. :blob3:

vipermanz
09-18-2001, 04:11 AM
that might help you some but you might want to try out a small engine course, it helped me out alot, and now i can disassemble and reassemble an engine easily,(And It Actually Worked!!!!!!):D

khouse
09-18-2001, 02:28 PM
Robert,
Hang in there and get your hands dirty. You can read all day about fixing something but never know anything until you tear into something. What have you lost if you mess up? Your Dad can put it back if you can't. It's not like your trashing a $2000.00 engine. I started with a service manual and some rusty tools in a converted chicken coop that I cleaned up and put a table in. I remember the first engine I worked on. It was a old Cast iron engine from about the 40's. Rusted up tight. I spent hours soaking the engine in Diesel fuel and wacking the piston to loosen it up. I learned a lot from that tear down. No, I never got it running but it was my start. I was 13 at the time. Your way ahead of me in knowlege. I would say buy a manual and keep asking questions here.

Robert Doubrava
09-18-2001, 06:43 PM
we had to tear apart the 7 horse engine on my rider, that was a lot of fun. but we had one problem. when we put it together, we got the throttle linkage mixed up with the choke linkage! it would only run on choke when we did that. we finally fixed the problem after a while. its funny, my grandfather did that too!i have A LOT of spare parts from my old neighbors lawnmowers, which they gave me and my dad. we got three mowers one with a 3.75 horse briggs,one with a 3 or 3.5 horse briggs, and a self-proppeled mower with a 3.5 or 4.0 horse briggs. [we only buy mowers with briggs engines]. one had the rod knocking against the crankcase, so we trashed the engine block and kept the outer parts. we have a total of 2 push mowers, one rider, and one edger. :blob3:

09-18-2001, 07:38 PM
Yes, best way to learn is "hands on" combined with reading up on the subject IMO. Small engine course, if you can take one, is also a good idea.

Mistakes happen, like you mentioned in your recent post, but that's how you learn! As khouse said, hang in there & get your hands dirty! Nice to see someone taking an interest in mechanical things - so many people I know these days don't.

Hey Guido - I'm a "1968" model myself - does that mean I belong in a museum too???? :laugh: (J/K)