PDA

View Full Version : overseeding in July???

devnuts
07-17-2007, 11:04 PM
I have a customer who planted sod about three years ago. It has not really been maintained, just mowed. I suggested I aerate and overseed. I know fall is best but he really wants it done now so his grass can start growing again. The lawn does have a sprinkler system so watering would not be a problem. any opinions??

1MajorTom
07-18-2007, 12:52 AM
Planting seed is not the answer right now, at least we wouldn't do it. When the new seedlings start to sprout, they are still going to have be able to take the hot humid heat that comes in July and August.... even if they are getting water. New seedlings shouldn't be put thru that stress. To wait a month and half till September is not long at all.

rodfather
07-18-2007, 06:52 AM
Wait until the 3rd week of August...by then the day time temps are much lower and the evenings cooler.

turfcobob
07-23-2007, 12:02 PM
Too hot even in CT. Taking a real chance. Weeds love this weather but grass does not. I would wait for at least a month or till late Aug.

Smallaxe
07-23-2007, 11:50 PM
I have a client who always wants the ground fixed up during the summer and we are moderate shade in most areas. We have always germinated the seed and kept it going through the rest of the year. This year it was stump grinding fixes and when I mowed last I didn't even recognise some spots.
The ground is warm now and daily irrigation seems to produce quick results. Either way the customer is going to happily pay for it. Just throw additional seed in the fall if necessary.