PDA

View Full Version : fuel problems

geckos
07-17-2007, 10:30 PM
I just purchased a used Toro Proline 44" walk behind mower the problem I have started with the mower being very hard to start I took the float bowl off to see if the float was sticking now that I have put it back together now I turn on the fuel supply at the tank I have fuel dumping out of a small hole on the side of the carb. I have been looking to find a carb kit for the mower but have been unable to locate one. I am not sure what else to look for when trying to get it to start. any sugestions would be great. thanks

Mower is Toro Proline
engine is Kawasaki FB460v LS14-01
serial on the engine is fb460va57726

khouse
07-17-2007, 11:23 PM
Make sure the needle is installed correct and the float level is right. Shake the float to see if there's fuel in it. If so replace the float.

geckos
07-18-2007, 12:00 PM
ok checked the needle and it can only go in one way also float does not apear to be adjustable as the manual states but when blowing through the fuel inlet port and pushing on the float I can stop air flow though the inlet port. so I put carb back on and it immediatly flooded again so much as it filled the mufler completly with fuel and drained the tank. I did check that the float had no gas in in and could not see any visible cracks. need to get more gas so i can continue with repairs any more suggestions would be great am considering new carb but would rather not have to spend that much money does any one know where I can get a rebuild kit local dealer can order parts but doesnt have a listing for a kit only individual parts
thanks

khouse
07-18-2007, 02:48 PM
You just need a needle and seat.

Restrorob
07-18-2007, 06:47 PM
I agree with khouse, Just replace the float needle valve. And Kawasaki doesn't have a rebuild kit for this carb.

A new carb. would set you back $120.00 plus shipping/tax.

Make sure fuel didn't get into your crankcase/oil before trying to crank it back up.

geckos
07-18-2007, 07:44 PM
thanks restrorob and khouse heres a question though when i first got the mower I checked the oil level and noticed it was very high in viscocity so I drained it and put the container aside i got about 3-4 quarts of oil/whatever i called the guy i got it from and he said he might have put kerosene into the oil to clean out deposits and forgot. It had been 12-18 months since he ran it last, so I changed the oil and filter and started it and ran it for about 30 mins ran ok but smoked a little(white) shut it off and couldnt start it again thats when I ran into the flooding problems that led me to this site. I have ordered a new needle and also a new float the manual i tracked down from one of your previous threads restrorob said that the float was adjustible but mine is a hard plastic and will break if pressure is applied or so it would seem they will be in on friday. so back to the gas in the oil how would I know if it was gas or kerosene and will it happen again if it was gas? thanks for your input

khouse
07-18-2007, 08:15 PM
Smell. Kerosene and gas smell different. But really right now get the carb fixed and change the oil. Keep an eye on the oil level for a while. That's about all you can do.

Restrorob
07-18-2007, 08:31 PM
so back to the gas in the oil how would I know if it was gas or kerosene

Just smell it, Fuel and kerosene smell differently. But, My money is on fuel and the guy must have known of the problem.

and will it happen again if it was gas?

There is no telling, So keep a eye/nose on it for a few days watching for the oil level rising on the dipstick/smelling of fuel.

This is why it's ALWAYS a good practice to check the oil level in ALL equipment EVERY day/before use. Any engine at any time can flood fuel into the crankcase and cause damage if ran very long. All it takes is one spec of trash on the float needle valve tip.

EDIT; Guess I need to take a typing class.....Got me again khouse !

geckos
07-18-2007, 10:15 PM
ok ,guy who sold it to me is very good friend and i got a really good deal i think 200.00 and ive only spent 20.00 on a bearing so far until the carb, i would smell the mixture but the container that had it in is alm ost empty as i laid it on the bench in my shop and it has been 95 deg outside and now is only oil whould gas have evaporated that fast? thanks for the input though i will keep an eye on it. but your saying that it could happen again if it was gas but dosent nessecarily have too?

khouse
07-18-2007, 11:58 PM
Restrorob is correct - it will happen again if it was gas. And I'm with him on that the problem was preexisting. I don't think anyone would forget they put kerosene in the crankcase. Just my opionion. Either way it sounds like you got a good deal.

geckos
07-19-2007, 07:36 PM
ok so I pulled the mower in the shop today before the rains hit and I pulled the starting cord a few times to blow out the cylinder of any remaining gas and there was more than a little gas in the cylinder again so I checked oil again and low and behold more gas in it alot of gas so is there a fix for that or better question what is causing that and what does it mean to the engine should i be looking for a new one at this point? thanks