PDA

View Full Version : Natural Stone

Captains Landscape
07-18-2007, 03:15 PM
6' Granite steps (rock face) 6'x3' landings. Thermal gray stone 4 sizes.

Captains Landscape
07-18-2007, 03:17 PM
------------------------------

P.Services
07-18-2007, 03:54 PM
dose that stone all ready come cut like that our are you cutting each one? do you compact your sand then lay stone or do you run a compactor over the stone after your done? and if you dont mind saying whats ajob like that run? my guess would bo about 8k-10k

Captains Landscape
07-18-2007, 04:06 PM
As does thermal bluestone this stone comes in set dimensions. 12x18, 24x24, 24x18, 12x12. There are variances in thickness. My plan is to use a lawn roller and series of blankets to set the stone deeper in the bedding sand. It will be necessary to hand level some stone in the end. The stone is way to fragile to use the compactor or even deadblow. 15-20k, existing sub soil is all clay:dizzy:

P.Services
07-18-2007, 04:24 PM
thanks for the info! wow was i off on that price!!

tthomass
07-18-2007, 06:04 PM
Price sounds fair. I like your work, we're much alike. Does the flagstone meet flush with the first tread? I'm just wondering with slope is there going o be 1" above on one side or not.

How do the spacers work out for you? Its a good idea but stone isn't ever consistant. I measure each stone as installed and space or cut accordingly to get things lined up right.

mrusk
07-18-2007, 06:57 PM
I hope you dug down to the frost line for that fire pit and poured a footing!!

Work looks good except for that trip stair!

Captains Landscape
07-18-2007, 06:58 PM
Both of The first steps should be about 1/2" above patio grade. I wanted it flush, but slope superseded that.
My supplier will take back any stone that is out of true or cracked, this stone seems very consistent. The spacers work great (3/8") for $6 I wouldn't do it with out em.

Captains Landscape
07-18-2007, 07:03 PM
mrusk, no I didn't pour a 5' footing for a fire pit, sorry. It has rebar all around at 1' deep. For the granite concrete slabs on the other hand, they are drilled to the foundation along with 5' sauna tube footings.

Henry
07-18-2007, 09:40 PM
Looks nice but why have the first step at all?

Captains Landscape
07-18-2007, 09:47 PM
it looks like that would have been best, reason is the homeowners parents are elderly and didn't like the tall step on and off the deck. With only two steps the slab would have interfered with the patio, it was the only solution I could come up with. I'm open to input for future situations....

tthomass
07-18-2007, 10:54 PM
Alter the grade of the patio to adjust the height of the step..........raise the patio.

From an architecture point of view it is appealing to see the first tread part of the patio, it brings things together vs boundaries......looks like a landing I would however keep it all flush and given the distance of the tread would not be difficult........feather out the change of grade on the patio and you would never know it.

ChampionLS
07-18-2007, 11:27 PM
Looks good too, but agree, would have removed that first step. Could be a trip hazard waiting to happen.

mrusk
07-18-2007, 11:48 PM
You need to just build up the base on the patio around the stairs. Its ok to alter the slope in a instance like this. That is a law suit waiting to happen and it shows poor planning and inexperience.

crab
07-18-2007, 11:56 PM
:drinkup: mrusk where are you're pictures?I've been bashed what about you?,after all one good bashing deserves another.

mrusk
07-19-2007, 03:40 PM
:drinkup: mrusk where are you're pictures?I've been bashed what about you?,after all one good bashing deserves another.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

MarcusLndscp
07-19-2007, 11:00 PM
What is under that sand for a base?????? It looks like loam or compost to me unless it's some darker color of crushed gravel.

I'm not sure how long you've lived on the Cape but I hate to tell you that frost does not get to 5 feet deep.

That and you over engineered your granite steps in a big way. There's not need for all that structural support in that application. If I were you I would highly consider atleast lifting your patio to match that lower step...it's a huge hazard and a liability that is all on you. I find zero architectural appeal in that lower step being set flush into that patio but it's better than being a tripper

Captains Landscape
07-20-2007, 08:33 PM
My problem: The height at the top of the landing was predetermined, and I have 3" left before I hit the sill with the patio. Eliminating the bottom tread would cause interference with the slab and the patio (if I'm building a support slab, I want them 6" larger than the footprint of the stairs to disperse the weight)

I agree that bottom step screams hazard, and my intention is to fix it.

Marcus: No not loam, None of my local suppliers have a dense grade that meets 2940 so I use reprocessed asphalt and concrete sand.

Over engineered the steps? Personally I don't believe in that word, but what would you have done different? Most of the soil this close to the ocean is clay.

I get mixed answers on the frost line, so what is it?

PlatinumLandCon
07-27-2007, 02:57 PM
Lets see pics of the finished product!