PDA

View Full Version : check my huge dirty hole

crab
07-18-2007, 06:30 PM
just dug this very sandy!!!!!!lots of overdig.:)

crab
07-18-2007, 06:39 PM
:laugh: sorry here it is ,still not a master of the pc.

crab
07-18-2007, 06:46 PM
this is one more,with the cribbing and I beams and what have you.

bobcat9957
07-18-2007, 07:01 PM
What exactly are they doing there? Just puting a foundation under the existing house and adding on or moving it out of there. Also, did you dig it with the skids in the pic?

Fieldman12
07-18-2007, 07:15 PM
What size Deere is that? Hard to tell in the pics.Any pics of the machine?

crab
07-18-2007, 09:58 PM
hey guys sorry was doing some dinner,there is a3 36 by 30 addition going in ,also the block will be reinforced and than dug out from the inside .its really just a crawl space now.the machines you see are Deere 260. Deere ct332,not seen are a Deere 310sg,and a link belt 1600 ex.this site was so sandy it ended up being about 45 by 50,easy to dig but god so tedious.

Tigerotor77W
07-18-2007, 11:08 PM
What'd you dig it with, and is that soil as sandy as it looks?

SiteSolutions
07-18-2007, 11:20 PM
a 30 x 36 addition to a 20 x 26 house. Wouldn't it just be cheaper to start over?

crab
07-18-2007, 11:36 PM
it was was dug with a excavator,and yas that is pretty much beach sand [i cant begin to tell you how frustrating it is to have it graded just right and then have 4 feet cave in],and site s it is not cheaper were i live to start over,keeping the existing structure saves alot of permitting ,also this house is pretty old ,guys a friend and builder so i was really just helping him,its been in his family for along time.you can see the section we demolished ,and i know its hard to see but this is is a 10 deep cellar.nothing special just thought you guys would like it.

Dirty Water
07-18-2007, 11:40 PM
I would have been really nervous walking the excavator out of that hole.

crab
07-18-2007, 11:51 PM
dirty i was never in it with ex just digging, i did use the ct to cut under the ibeams that you that you see,lets just say you look down allot to make sure there is no fractures under you,oh and for the new guys NEVER dig with you're tracks sideways on a big sloppy hole,she will always let you down!:laugh:

RockSet N' Grade
07-19-2007, 01:17 AM
Big Bad Bob Webster went back-hoe skiing down a sandy hill like that the other day.......from the tippy-top all the way to the bottom ( about 85-90 feet). The wonder of it all is that his machine stayed straight and just skiied straight down....what could have been a big bummer ends up being just another day at the office.........Crab, I feel for ya.........dig one......three fall in.......dig one.........three fall in.........all day long. And then ya go back the next day to start over again......

AWJ Services
07-19-2007, 08:57 AM
At what point is ground stable enough too build on?

Do you use conventional footings and foundations?

Fieldman12
07-19-2007, 08:03 PM
Have you been happy with both of your Deere loaders?

smalley360
07-20-2007, 12:19 AM
WOW, big hole. He could have his own lake house, just add water!!:laugh:

lifetree
07-20-2007, 12:35 AM
... you can see the section we demolished ,and i know its hard to see but this is is a 10 deep cellar.nothing special just thought you guys would like it.

Yes, I do appreciate the pictures, thanks !!

Scag48
07-20-2007, 12:45 AM
The "dirt" we have back home, in places, is equivelant to that stuff. Fun, isn't it? :laugh: I know exactly what you mean, massive amounts of overdigging and/or stepping or sloping cuts for safety. Had a close call on a utility install last summer, not a soul uses trenchboxes around here, especially for small jobs. I was 5 feet down in a trench ramming sewer pipe together and up the trench about 10 feet a good portion chunked off and fell in. I knew I should have stepped the top couple feet a little, but didn't. Oh well, live to tell another story I suppose.

crab
07-21-2007, 09:13 PM
hi guys sorry was busy working,awj ,the ground is solid for footings when you get there ,provided you don't undercut to much,i have heard in the the hardscaping forum about if sand compacts or not,settle yes but compact ,not without a tremendous amount of pressure.field man i have had very good luck with my Deere's but again its always a crap shoot [feel free to pm me if you have more question's],as for the lake house,well there is :laugh: a dirty little pond just below my big dirty hole!.

Fieldman12
07-22-2007, 09:23 AM
Glad to hear you have had good luck with your Deere machines. They are good machine that I see so far.

Tim Wright
07-22-2007, 02:20 PM
What is the point to all of this. That building looks to be not much bigger than an outhouse.

I agree with the statement that it seems it would be cheaper to start from scratch.

Tim

AWJ Services
07-22-2007, 03:15 PM
What is the point to all of this.

and site s it is not cheaper were i live to start over,keeping the existing structure saves alot of permitting ,also this house is pretty old ,guys a friend and builder so i was really just helping him,its been in his family for along time.

Here there is a Lake with a bunch of trailers all around it almost on the water.
So everyone that wanted too update the trailers were faced with strict newer ordinances and building codes if they demoed and started from scratch.
One way around them is too retain the original structure which will be grandfathered .So we have tons of houses with trailers inside.:)

I agree with the statement that it seems it would be cheaper to start from scratch.

Sometimes.
But here about 20% of the lots that have trailers on them would not meet the present code so once they are demolished the lot is no longer able too build on.

crab
07-22-2007, 11:04 PM
bingo!now you get it!any way thats still 20by20 you don't have to build,and by the why i wasn't making a point just showing you my hole,go dig youre own!:dizzy:

AWJ Services
07-22-2007, 11:15 PM
That is a pretty serious dig with the conditions that it was done in.