PDA

View Full Version : Kaw hard to start cold.

casey
09-01-2001, 12:19 PM
15 twin Kaw takes 5 to 10 hard pulls to start cold. About 400hrs. on it. Runs, & starts perfectly after the morning cold start. Problem seems to be getting worse. Changed plug. Any other suggestions?
Thanks.

65hoss
09-01-2001, 12:33 PM
What are the temps in the morning? Could the oil be to thick due to colder temps?

Check to see if the choke is closing all the way.

casey
09-01-2001, 05:22 PM
Temps arn't low enough to thicken oil. I think it's a choke problem but seems to be closing just by looking at the cable. Is there some way of manually priming the engine. If it only happens on a cold start it has to be a choke problem?

curlawngreen
09-01-2001, 05:49 PM
Mine was the ignitor(sp). $45.00.

Robert Doubrava
09-01-2001, 05:50 PM
make sure it is choking all the way. if it is, try some starting fluid.:blob3:

65hoss
09-01-2001, 06:05 PM
Many of the chokes on Kawis don't close all the way. Push it all the way to choke and then find the metal rod for the choke and see if you can still move it farther. A mechanic at the JD shop told me to slightly bend the rod to make it close all the way. I did it on both my 12.5 and 14 hp kawis and it fixed them both.

wallzwallz
09-01-2001, 06:41 PM
I just hold choke rod shut with 1 hand pull w/ other, throttle about half way. Starts 1st pull 99% of the time. Let off as it fires. I have to install manual choke cables, don't care for chokes combined w/ throttle control

Dave
09-01-2001, 09:20 PM
put the thottle in the choke position,lossen the screw holding the thottle cable then pull the cable until you see the butterfly close and tighten the screw back up wa la all fixed

Island Lawn
09-02-2001, 02:59 AM
WAIT!

Before you rush to surgery!

I had this problem till just a couple of weeks ago.
Although mine took alot more than 10 measly yanks!LOL

I started letting the engine cool down for a minute or 2 @ lowest throttle. Then shut off the engine.
The next day, I pull the throttle up to full choke, give a good pull or 2 and it cranks right up now.

Worked for me!

After reading more about what the others have said about making sure the choke is working correctly, I'll havta go back and check mine.

Good Luck!

General Grounds
09-03-2001, 06:31 PM
:blob3: i know your engine has limited hours on it but it could also be a valve problem. when pulling the rope slowly can you feel the compression, if so then your ok, but if the rope pulls freely may have a bad valve.T

curlawngreen
09-04-2001, 11:07 PM
Have you fixed it yet?

Island Lawn
09-07-2001, 05:59 PM
After having the same trouble earlier this week, I followed the throttle cable to the carb.

Sho-nuff, there was still 1/8 inch that the cable could be moved.
I pushed it the rest of the way by hand and now it starts every time on the first time.

Thanks for the tips everyone!

curlawngreen
09-16-2001, 03:02 PM
Casey What was the solution to your problem?

strickdad
10-22-2001, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by Robert Doubrava
make sure it is choking all the way. if it is, try some starting fluid.:blob3: do not use starting fluid you will break a piston skirt if you use this method

Robert Doubrava
10-22-2001, 05:58 PM
i did not know that! thanks for telling me.

Scott182
10-26-2001, 02:33 PM
All Kawasaki engines are designed to start in cold weather. While an engine may not start as easily in 10 degree weather as it does in 70 degree weather, you should not have problems.

Here is what we do:
Check RPM during cranking. Should be around 400.

Make sure choke plate is COMPLETELY closed EACH time to work the choke control. This is the most common, even if people claim to have checked it.

Make sure valve clearance is correct. If the 15hp is FH451V, both valves should be .003 to .005 inch.

Make sure fuel is fresh and the proper type. Summer and winter fuels have different evaporation points.

Check parasitic load. If hydros etc are dragging too much due to defect or thick oil, it may prevent the engine from spinning fast enough to start easy.

Good luck!

casey
10-26-2001, 06:19 PM
It was a choke problem.
Choke was not engaging or disingaging properly which means as well as hard cold starts I have been running about 200 rpm less than max.
ATTN. ISLAND LAWN I was doing the exact same thing you were & probably would have kept on with your fix. When I installed a Tiny Tach I realized I was down on RPM's because not only was the choke not engaging properly it was also not disingaging. Take off your air filter & check if your choke is fully open on full throttle.
Thanks for the replies.