PDA

View Full Version : Echo or Shidaiwa trimmer

hossmp
07-18-2007, 06:25 PM
Hello guys. I just did trimming job over the weekend with a set of older Stihl chainsaw type trimmers and my back is still killing me. I have a extended reach articulating trimmer which is huge and not good for shapping waist high stuff or stuff that is lower. I was debating on trying out a Echo 212 which has about a 22 inch cutting width with around a 20 inch bar and typical string trimmer engine. Does anyone use one of this shorter style hedge trimmers and do you have any likes dislikes about them? I was also thinking of even trying the Shindaiwa attachment for my multitool I have from them. I have the extended one with the articulating head and it seems to work well for what I have used it for. I was debating on these or if they all have bad feedback trying something that has a twistable handle and maybe doesnt weigh a ton in the traditional chainsaw type. I usually only run my trimmers for an hour or so at a time usually even less. Just took on a big trimming job and well I was asked to come back and do more already. I charged them 75/hr and figured that was fair maybe I am too cheap.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
07-18-2007, 06:31 PM
$75 a hour for trimming, sounds cheap, can you live off of that.

hossmp
07-18-2007, 06:41 PM
I wasnt sure what to charge actually. I mow for them and take care of all of the extras that go with that such as aeration and I have even seeded there lawn for them. I have pretty set rates for that stuff. I have done trimming but its always been a half dozen boxwoods or things of that nature for people never anything large and I just give them a flat rate.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
07-18-2007, 06:45 PM
I have the shin multi tools also just purchased the small hedge trimmer today i have all the multi tools.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
07-18-2007, 06:47 PM
The multi tools are easy on your back they are so much easier to trim.

hossmp
07-18-2007, 06:51 PM
How do you like the Shindaiwa tool so far? I got mine a year ago and so far I have liked it. I needed a new edger and went to get one at my dealer and he had none. He did have the edger attachment and the c4 power head so I bought it because it was there and ready to go. I have since picked up the extended length trimmer and really like it. I was just curious how the shorter trimmer would be. I did some research on trimmers here on the site and saw that Doc Pete posted alot about similar units but other than that not much. I am not going to do another trimming job for a few weeks so I wanted to research a few and get something more appropriate than my ancient stihl and the extended reach unit.

hossmp
07-18-2007, 10:05 PM
Does anyone else have experience with the Echo 212 hedge trimmer? Or any of the short shaft trimmers?

hossmp
07-19-2007, 10:48 PM
Do you guy have any opinions or do most of you use the "chainsaw" style trimmers? I called the local dealers in my area and of course they all stock the cheapest chainsaw types and then they have articulated attachments but nothing else. They seemed to be suprised that so many types are available. I fealt like I was breaking new ground with 2 of them and the other seemed knowledgable but not interested. He said he had to order more than one so I was out of luck. I told him that I understood. However I dont really understand why they do that. I am sure if he ordered the item and people could see it that they would be intersted. He said he never stocked them before.