PDA

View Full Version : Echo SRM260 Won't Idle

jondcoleman
07-19-2007, 11:37 AM
I have a Echo Trimmer that I bought last year that has been giving me problems. It wouldn't start so I have done and checked everything that I know.

I rebuilt the carb and I can get it started at full throttle but I can't get it to idle at all. Anything below full throttle dies. Pretty much as soon as I let go of the throttle it dies. I have tried playing with the screw a little bit but no luck.

Any ideas? Thanks!

CMLawnCare
07-19-2007, 01:25 PM
I have a PAS 260 and its the same way. It'll only run on 3/4 choke an even then its been bogging down. We bought it last fall and its already been in for 3 problems and its always been new carburetors. Its ridiculous. The shop just blames "the poor gas" which is causing the problems.

I have all echo equipment and run the same mixed fuel from the same can into all the equipment and the back pack blowers run perfect. The trimmers are ridiculous. I'm waiting for an answer and seeing if i have to switch the a more reliable trimmer brand.

lawnboy dan
07-19-2007, 07:07 PM
i agree switch brands of trimmers

Breezmister
07-19-2007, 07:25 PM
Have you checked for carbon at the exhust port ?

johnp900
07-19-2007, 07:53 PM
Information we need to know is model # & serial # & actual #'s & brand of carburetor. On some Zama carbs there is a small roller than falls out when the barrell assy is removed. If this is not reinstalled, you will get the symptons you described. Second, Why is this not covered under your warranty? Echo is the best by far about taking care of problems. There has been a few updates for carbs. Ask your dealer to review service bulletins & also to adjust the carb the "factory" way. Use a tachometer & f ollow the flow chart that Echo has & all problems should be eliminated.

Breezmister
07-19-2007, 08:21 PM
I was replying to CMLawnCare. I see this kind of problem all the time. If it's not a carb problem, and it's cheaper to look at other things first then throwing money at what you might think it is.
Carbon in the port
Carbon build up in the muffler
Kink in the fuel line, I had a rash of these last year, from some one bending the fuelline to the point it was nearly closed, that guy was fired
Idle screw turned all the way in or completely missing
And my list could go on

jondcoleman
07-20-2007, 08:13 AM
It is a Walbro carb and the number on it is 186 538. I took this trimmer to the dealer last year and it seems like the warranty doesn't deal with any carb that has the least dirt or anything in it. They wouldn't fix it on warranty.

Breezmister
07-20-2007, 07:10 PM
It is a Walbro carb and the number on it is 186 538. I took this trimmer to the dealer last year and it seems like the warranty doesn't deal with any carb that has the least dirt or anything in it. They wouldn't fix it on warranty.

That number is more then likly a casting number from when it was made
The number that walbro uses starts with 3 letters, like HDA or WYJ, then you will have 3 numbers and then maybe a (-) and a letter or one more number
Either way, you can go echo-usa.com and find the model you have, you can down load the parts and service manuals.
The point I was trying to make is that 9 out of 10 times, it's not the carb.
Was there dirt in the carb you cleaned ?
I have a set of tip cleaners that are used for cleaning the end of a torch
that I use to clean the small passages in a little carb, you can get them at any welding supply dealer. also, you can let it soak for a few days in a bath of carb cleaner

ed2hess
07-20-2007, 11:25 PM
I agree with Breeez....very very seldon do you need to replace the carb they can be rebuilt.... the 260 hAS Adjusting screw....did you take the plug out of adj screw hole? And now turnig the screw has no affect? Spark arreston out, new plug, new fuel filter, new breather and exhaust ports cleaned should work. You can check to see if crank seals are okay but if no fuel is coming out those are probably okay since the unit is practically new.

Stillwater
07-22-2007, 10:41 AM
low idle passage blocked and or blocked exhaust from heavy oil mix if it is blocked exhaust it will have no power as well

ed2hess
07-22-2007, 06:27 PM
low idle passage blocked and or blocked exhaust from heavy oil mix if it is blocked exhaust it will have no power as well
Where is the low idle passage?

lawnshark2420
07-24-2009, 07:32 PM
every time i have a carb problem with an echo purchased at home depot i have had to replace the carb because its one of those cheap zamas (califonia clean carb). supposedly thats all they can do. im gonna try to put walbro carbs on all my echo.

ed2hess
07-24-2009, 07:46 PM
every time i have a carb problem with an echo purchased at home depot i have had to replace the carb because its one of those cheap zamas (califonia clean carb). supposedly thats all they can do. im gonna try to put walbro carbs on all my echo.

Maybe the dealer sold products are different but I doubt it. All the carb I ever had on echo can be easily repaired with kit, really nothing much to them.

YardBoss Lawncare
07-24-2009, 07:51 PM
I've had handhelds do that before, but I found out that I had mixed my oil/gas a little too rich.

lawnshark2420
07-27-2009, 11:15 PM
Maybe the dealer sold products are different but I doubt it. All the carb I ever had on echo can be easily repaired with kit, really nothing much to them.

yea, dealer products come with real walbro carbs! home depot models come with zama junk that have no hope unless you replace.

wlkjr
07-28-2009, 01:44 AM
I worked on my son's Echo with a Walbro carb about a month ago. Took that thing apart about 10 times. I bought a rebuild kit for under $15 and it has extra gaskets in it, so be careful to see which ones apply when you take it apart. There is a small screen on the intake side that gets coated and restricts the fuel flow. I'd check that first. You may not even need the kit. I learned a lot about that WYJ carb last month.