PDA

View Full Version : trailer light problem

holycow72
07-19-2007, 01:27 PM
I'm new to this forum...so bear with me, if this is an easy fix because I'm missing something...I've never wired a trailer before...

Ok...rewiring trailer lights....new wire, new plugs, and new harness on vehicle...

problem is when the vehicles headlights are ON....the trailer lights are lit, but when I hit the brakes...the trailer lights go out completely, rather than light the trailer brakelights

if i have the vehicle lights OFF...the trailer brakelights work just fine on the trailer

please help

rob

grassmanak
07-19-2007, 04:35 PM
probably a ground problem, is your trailer on the ball when you try this, best way to ground the trailer is not with a ground wire but through the ball and hitch.

SiteSolutions
07-19-2007, 10:18 PM
best way to ground the trailer is not with a ground wire but through the ball and hitch.

Send me some of that good 5h1t you're smokin

Must be awesome. Maybe laced with something.

gammon landscaping
07-19-2007, 10:52 PM
never ground threw a hitch, run a wire, also when you are doing you wiring always have the trailer unhooked from truck this will keep alot of problems from happening. when you rewire do not use the trailer as a ground just run another wire. people using the trailer as a round is the number one reason for strange lighting problems

grassmanak
07-19-2007, 11:29 PM
i havent used a wire ever. I have 5 different trailers with lighting, never had a problem doing it this way. I take the wire from the truck side ground and ground it to the reciever hitch that way when the ball is on its grounded better.

SiteSolutions
07-19-2007, 11:50 PM
Mmmmm... sounds like they dipped it in LSD

crash935
07-20-2007, 01:26 AM
You should never ground soley through the hitch, many times the hitch receiver is painted along with the hitch, rust and dirt build up in the hitch and you should have a light coating of grease on the hitch ball to reduce friction. All of those things will cause you to lose a good ground between the truck and trailer.