PDA

View Full Version : Hedge Trimming Estimate...

ChalieKelly
07-19-2007, 04:52 PM
I'm just trying to figure out if this estimate was fair.

My last job had 10 small, 7 medium, and 3 large hedges that were all fairly long. With that, the neighbor wanted some weeding (not much at all) done, and some posion ivy removed. I gave her an estimate of . This is how I broke it down:

Hedging- 5hrs (45 per man hour)
Weeding and Poison Ivy- 2 hrs (45 per man hour)
Dumping Fee and Weed Preventer- 30.00

I'm young and still learning so if someone could offer me there opinions I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Charlie

ChalieKelly
07-19-2007, 05:05 PM
the estimate was 345.00, and I did get the job.

Stillwater
07-19-2007, 06:02 PM
this is ok but you should think about adding a per hour charge for the trimmers, I charge 8 per hour so in your case I would have added 40.00 for the gas trimmers. your hourly rate is 53.00 per hour when running trimmers.

TheYardBoys
07-20-2007, 10:57 PM
well im am younge and new at the bussiness but i figure to charge by the bush and it sizes.

For example a small bush is 5 dollars and a medium bush is 12 dollars and a large bush is 15 dollars and for those holly bushes that you have to use a later i charge 20 dollars for those because they are a pain and then i charge a dollar a mile to dump the debre. Well you have to remember that so far i have only cut commercial hedges.

But in yalls oppion do these sound like far prices.

Smallaxe
07-21-2007, 09:20 AM
I have a job that is a double row hedge that would wrap 2 sides of a football field 7' high or so. I would have to charge by the hour just to count the number of individual shrubs. Then if I multiplied that by 15 they would have to find someone else. Sometimes by the hour makes the most sense. You will soon get a feel for what you want to charge as you see the job. Some look like fun others look like work. 50 to 100% increase for work. If I don't get it who cares. I run solo so no headaches for me.

Stillwater
07-21-2007, 02:01 PM
I have a job that is a double row hedge that would wrap 2 sides of a football field 7' high or so. I would have to charge by the hour just to count the number of individual shrubs. Then if I multiplied that by 15 they would have to find someone else. Sometimes by the hour makes the most sense. You will soon get a feel for what you want to charge as you see the job. Some look like fun others look like work. 50 to 100% increase for work. If I don't get it who cares. I run solo so no headaches for me.

double row hedge around 2 football fields long 7 feet high? = 4 hundred yards of hedge not including the top surface area depending on the type of hedge I am looking at around 4 or 5 thousand dollars not includeing debris removal if it is a "privet" hedge I would charge no less than 5 or 6 grand. that is a massive undertaking. Not to many guys can wield a pole trimmer for 8/9 hrs a day then onto a step ladder to do the top with any skill I don't care who you are fatigue is going to creep in then the sloppy trimming starts. I would put 4 trimmers on the job and 2 clean up guys that rotate to ease the fatigue and maintain quality. I will take that job in a heart beat.

rjburns369
08-06-2007, 03:14 PM
eshskis? I do my hedging in Marblehead, my workers are constantly asking for Echo for there hedger of choice, I have always used little wonder. Any words of wisdom?

rjburns369
08-06-2007, 03:17 PM
double row hedge around 2 football fields long 7 feet high? = 4 hundred yards of hedge not including the top surface area depending on the type of hedge I am looking at around 4 or 5 thousand dollars not includeing debris removal if it is a "privet" hedge I would charge no less than 5 or 6 grand. that is a massive undertaking. Not to many guys can wield a pole trimmer for 8/9 hrs a day then onto a step ladder to do the top with any skill I don't care who you are fatigue is going to creep in then the sloppy trimming starts. I would put 4 trimmers on the job and 2 clean up guys that rotate to ease the fatigue and maintain quality. I will take that job in a heart beat.

Elite customers perfer the best, what tool is best for hedging?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

eshskis? I do my hedging in Marblehead, my workers are constantly asking for Echo for there hedger of choice, I have always used little wonder. Any words of wisdom?

Stillwater
08-09-2007, 02:37 AM
Elite customers perfer the best, what tool is best for hedging?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry it took so long to reply I just noticed your post.
I have never used Little Wonder But I have Echo and Sthil, I like echo for their light weight but they are 5 times more fragile than my Sthil's My sthil's are capable of much more abuse and use than the echos. My Sthils also hold a edge far far far longer than the echo's do,,, but the Sthils take longer to hone but that is because of the harder steel used for the blades. My sthils run longer on a tank of gas. But please don't misunderstand I am not bashing echo's they make a good product otherwise I woulden't own any. The cut quality are similar if the Echo's are razor sharp. If you are wondering if you should invest in echo because of your guys asking for them, ask yourself,, are these guys reliable? been with you a long time? are they good with the trimmers?

Their is a bottom line hear what is good for me might not be good for someone else. it boils down to the operator.. a good operator will do a better job with the hedge trimmers of his choice so it is a easy decision, but have they ever used Sthil if not they should try them out. So This is only my opinion Sthil makes some of the finest hedge trimmers available on this planet But their are other good manafactures aswell. for other equipment, detailed line trimming of a classy lawn when mowing I prefer Kawasaki with a thin gage string .065 or slightly lower, the ligher more balanced the better. But for heavy string trimming of thick woody tall grass, I prefer the Sthil FS80 with string gage .095 or higher. For chain saws the only brand for me to consider is Sthil. For brush cutting the DRfield it is unstoppable. core aerating either the classen split drive or Blue bird. power raking Parker but the springs are expensive, For dethatching bluebird or classen. anyone who buys a pull behind dethatcher needs a dope slap if it has no motor it is a waist of time. these are just my opinions.

RedWingsDet
08-09-2007, 04:08 AM
I would have been around $600.... I always charge a little more for posion ivy, especially since i got it 2 months ago.

BTW: Your hourly rate seems low.

rjburns369
08-14-2007, 05:05 PM
Quick question regarding the Stihl hedges I have these on the truck for routine trimming and have been getting high price quotes for sharpening; have been trying to sharpen on my own with some success I can do it with my mounted grinder with a guide positioned at 30 degrees as per spec but I hope there is a better tool than I have been using. The tool shop will not inform me and he charges $150 for my three three machines one of which is a Schindawea extension hedger and it is only $20 to sharpen it solely; my little wonders I can do with ease; my three machines take me 1 to 2 hours to complete. Thanks for the advice from the previous post and any additional knowledge you may have with regards to sharpening your Stihl.Sorry it took so long to reply I just noticed your post.
I have never used Little Wonder But I have Echo and Sthil, I like echo for their light weight but they are 5 times more fragile than my Sthil's My sthil's are capable of much more abuse and use than the echos. My Sthils also hold a edge far far far longer than the echo's do,,, but the Sthils take longer to hone but that is because of the harder steel used for the blades. My sthils run longer on a tank of gas. But please don't misunderstand I am not bashing echo's they make a good product otherwise I woulden't own any. The cut quality are similar if the Echo's are razor sharp. If you are wondering if you should invest in echo because of your guys asking for them, ask yourself,, are these guys reliable? been with you a long time? are they good with the trimmers?

Their is a bottom line hear what is good for me might not be good for someone else. it boils down to the operator.. a good operator will do a better job with the hedge trimmers of his choice so it is a easy decision, but have they ever used Sthil if not they should try them out. So This is only my opinion Sthil makes some of the finest hedge trimmers available on this planet But their are other good manafactures aswell. for other equipment, detailed line trimming of a classy lawn when mowing I prefer Kawasaki with a thin gage string .065 or slightly lower, the ligher more balanced the better. But for heavy string trimming of thick woody tall grass, I prefer the Sthil FS80 with string gage .095 or higher. For chain saws the only brand for me to consider is Sthil. For brush cutting the DRfield it is unstoppable. core aerating either the classen split drive or Blue bird. power raking Parker but the springs are expensive, For dethatching bluebird or classen. anyone who buys a pull behind dethatcher needs a dope slap if it has no motor it is a waist of time. these are just my opinions.