PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Floor Replacment

BILLY DAWG
07-19-2007, 05:52 PM
Could someone explain to me how to replace a trailer floor without cutting the boards. I have channels on both sides.The only thing i can come up with is putting one side in the channel and then putting a car jack in the middle and bend it in. Any other solutions would be great thanks Bill.

khouse
07-19-2007, 06:20 PM
Some boards are welded in there so to speak.

carcrz
07-19-2007, 06:32 PM
I know you asked how to do it w/o cutting, but that's the easiest & best way to do it. I recognize where my wires & frame is & then go to town w/ a chainsaw or skill saw.

Breezmister
07-19-2007, 07:14 PM
I've done this to two different trailers, one was an enclosed 18 ft, what I did there was get some 4/5 plywood and lay it over top of the old floor and screwed it down
the other was a heavy duty trailer that carried loarder. I cut the old wood out, cut a part of the channel out (one side only, top ) that was just a little bigger then the wood that was going in. Once the wood was in, got some flat steel and welded in over the cut I made
There was also an other trailer that one of the other mech did, all he did was grind the heads off the bolts that held the steel strip that held the planks in. Replaved the wood and the steel strip and did alot of drilling <lol>
Hope that hepls

carcrz
07-19-2007, 07:17 PM
Another thought, if you put your inside boards in first, you should be able to work your way from the middle to the outside, making sure you keep a gap in between each board for changes in moisture.

lawnmaniac883
07-19-2007, 07:47 PM
Guys he is talking about putting the new boards down, if they welded a piece of angle iron on top of the boards then I have no idea how you would replace them.

jkingrph
07-19-2007, 08:12 PM
Guys he is talking about putting the new boards down, if they welded a piece of angle iron on top of the boards then I have no idea how you would replace them.

When the non treated boards in my utility trailer rotted, I used an angle gringer and removed the piece of angle iron tack welded across to hold them down. ( the other end slipped into a slot) Not having a welder, when I put in new treated lumber I bolted that end down. Been that way almost 20 years now with no problems.

themowerman
07-20-2007, 12:58 PM
What jkingrph said^^^ I have done quite a few trailers and that is the way you have to do it. Find the capping peice of angle iron and grind the tack welds off and remove the peice of angle iron. It is usually on the rear.