PDA

View Full Version : New challenge

grasskat1
07-19-2007, 10:44 PM
Hello, I have posted in some other forums, But never this one before. I have a client that had a gas line installed. He ask if I could Finish it. I is 165ft. Long by 18'' wide. It will need tamped down, good topsoil put on, leveled, then new seed and straw put down. I have never done this type of work before. I Could use some advise as how to charge for this. I figure by the foot, however I am having trouble bringing it all together. I will rent a bobcat or maybe a tractor with a bucket and a blade. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

grasskat1
07-21-2007, 10:54 PM
Hello, I have posted in some other forums, But never this one before. I have a client that had a gas line installed. He ask if I could Finish it. I is 165ft. Long by 18'' wide. It will need tamped down, good topsoil put on, leveled, then new seed and straw put down. I have never done this type of work before. I Could use some advise as how to charge for this. I figure by the foot, however I am having trouble bringing it all together. I will rent a bobcat or maybe a tractor with a bucket and a blade. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Is there anyone out there that does this type of work. I really don't want to lose this client. Any help would be much appreciated!!

AJ Lawnscapes
07-22-2007, 01:49 AM
I don't think this has to do with hardscaping.

From the sounds of it, you are just covering up and re-seeding/sodding the dug up ground that the gas line was put in?

I'm going to take a stab and say 18"Wx1980"Lx12", you're going to need some serious back fill, and then 18"x1980" of sod.

Charge according to what it would cost you, and make it worth your while.

grasskat1
07-22-2007, 08:32 AM
Thanks A J. I really didn't know where to post this one. The client just wants some good topsoil added, Then leveled. Then grass seed and straw. I was hoping to come up with a per foot quote. But when I add materials, Labor and then the cost to rent a little bobcat it seems to high to me. Thanks for your reply and advice!

cedarcroft
07-22-2007, 01:03 PM
we cover our gas lines with 6" of sand and then fill on top, tamping in 3-4" lifts. a little topsoil on top is good for grass. as for pricing, you didn't say how deep it is, but I assume its 21"-24" deep. at that depth and with the other dimensions, I would say $12.50 per foot is fair.
this is my thinking:
4.5 yds sand @ $75pr yard=$337.50
14 yards of fill @$50.00 per yard=$700.00
2.5 yards of Topsoil @ $75.00 pr yard=$187.50
Grass Seed= $60.00
Bobcat day hire= $750
total= $2035.00
divided by 165 ln ft= $12.33 ($12.50 sounds better)
so the actual cost to the customer should be $2062.50
in my area, my actual cost of materials and rental of a bobcat would cost me $916.25 so the labor allowance would be $1146.25. pay 2 guys to rake and tamp for half a day while you operate the bobcat moving materials and I think that is a very fair price for all involved.
also, you should put caution tape on top of the sand before you backfill the rest of the trench.
****disclaimer****
as with any other pricing question on this board, these numbers are my numbers based on the area I live in and my overhead. you could lose money at that rate, or you might think I am crazy to charge that much, its just the way I would price it around here for a half Saturday's work.
hope that gets you on the right track.

grasskat1
07-22-2007, 03:10 PM
I forgot to mention that I won't need fill. I don't know what kind of trencher they used, but it is already filled. It has settled in area's and has low and high spots. So I think all I would have to do is Level in some good top soil and tampen it down, then seed and straw. I'm not sure what the best equipment would be to use for this job, but a bobcat with a couple attatchments would probably work. I ran my numbers, and keep in mind I have never quoted a job like this! For the machine rental, seed straw, and I figured 4 hours labor, I come in at alittle over $3.00 a ft. I don't know if this is high or low, but I have seen excavators advertise for $55.00 per hour. Thanks alot for your help!!!!

grasskat1
07-22-2007, 03:21 PM
I forgot to mention that I won't need fill. I don't know what kind of trencher they used, but it is already filled. It has settled in area's and has low and high spots. So I think all I would have to do is Level in some good top soil and tampen it down, then seed and straw. I'm not sure what the best equipment would be to use for this job, but a bobcat with a couple attatchments would probably work. I ran my numbers, and keep in mind I have never quoted a job like this! For the machine rental, seed straw, and I figured 4 hours labor, I come in at alittle over $3.00 a ft. I don't know if this is high or low, but I have seen excavators advertise for $55.00 per hour. Thanks alot for your help!!!!

After thinking I should explain my numbers. 4yards of topsoil@ 40.00 each, Seed at 60.00, straw at 10.00, Bobcat 1/2 day rental 175.00, plus 4hrs. labor@ 50.00=605.00. Which is not 3.00 per foot . It is 3.67 per ft. What do you think? Thanks again

DuraCutter
07-22-2007, 10:54 PM
After thinking I should explain my numbers. 4yards of topsoil@ 40.00 each, Seed at 60.00, straw at 10.00, Bobcat 1/2 day rental 175.00, plus 4hrs. labor@ 50.00=605.00. Which is not 3.00 per foot . It is 3.67 per ft. What do you think? Thanks again

DON'T price yourself short. One of the guys here mentioned $12/ft. Why go for $3/ft?? You don't like money in your jeans? You're scared to ask for a fair price? You want to give them a cash gift?

Charge because landscape work is never easy and it's worth more than lawncare.

:)

grasskat1
07-23-2007, 09:28 PM
DON'T price yourself short. One of the guys here mentioned $12/ft. Why go for $3/ft?? You don't like money in your jeans? You're scared to ask for a fair price? You want to give them a cash gift?

Charge because landscape work is never easy and it's worth more than lawncare.

Thanks Duracutter, I really am new to this type of work. I have done alot of different jobs in landscaping but not this, so I am not at all sure how to quote it out. I don't want to lose the job because I would love to do this type of work. All I know to do is price all materials and add labor. He wants a per foot quote. I'm just asking for some insight so I don't over charge or lose my butt.

jbone
07-23-2007, 09:40 PM
Materials + Rental + Estimated man hours / square footage = price per sq. ft.

grasskat1
07-23-2007, 11:04 PM

Right on. My problem is how many man hours!!

grasskat1
07-23-2007, 11:09 PM

However, how many man hours????

DuraCutter
07-23-2007, 11:34 PM
Thanks Duracutter, I really am new to this type of work. I have done alot of different jobs in landscaping but not this, so I am not at all sure how to quote it out. I don't want to lose the job because I would love to do this type of work. All I know to do is price all materials and add labor. He wants a per foot quote. I'm just asking for some insight so I don't over charge or lose my butt.

Some people play the game well and they want a per square foot price because it's whats easy. They can pressure you down. I give one type of price, a total price for the work, nothing is divulged, not the material cost, not the labor cost, IT"S NOT THEIR FRIGGIN BUSINESS. If you don't get this job, another one will come along I'm sure. It's like carpet laying, it's down to such a square foot price that the installers rarely make good money. It's just a job. It's best by the job in my opinion. Hope this helps but I'm sure you feel the pressure while you want this work so badly. Sometimes, it's best to do nothing rather than to be real busy making nothing. Another opportunity will present itself sooner or later.

grasskat1
07-24-2007, 06:49 AM
Hey Duracutter, You couldn't be more right!And I do feel the pressure some. I could really use this job. I am going to get a quote together for him tonight and submit it tomorrow. We'll see what happen's. If it's mean't to be then good lord willing it will happen. Have an awesome day!

Smallaxe
07-24-2007, 07:32 AM
18" wide and 165' long of an area disturbed by a trencher and needs a little levelling work should not require more than a couple of yards of topsoil (site unseen) and not require a bobcat at all.
I would consider using a wheelbarrow and an iron rake. and expect less than 4 hours to do so. Bobcats create more problems than they are fixing on established lawns.
Just my opinion, on a sight unseen job.

grasskat1
07-24-2007, 02:51 PM
I don't know what kind of trencher they used but it looks pretty rough! Plus it has settled in some area's. I was planning on renting a Bobcat mt52, a small walk behind unit. I think that after looking at the job, it's a little much for a wheelbarrow and hand rake. I thank you for the suggestion, I should have posted some pic's, that would have helped- My bad!!

Smallaxe
07-25-2007, 08:27 AM
Got it. ;)
Good luck.

Smallaxe
07-25-2007, 08:30 AM
Wrong Smilie :)