PDA

View Full Version : mortar & flagstone walk meets driveway problem!

icecat14
07-20-2007, 02:43 PM
I've just removed a crumbling concrete base that wreaked havoc on the appearance of the mortared flagstone walkway and will be pouring a proper base and recycling the flagstone. The driveway had been repaved and the original crubling concrete base for the walkway extended six inches underneath the driveway. It is now gone since it had disintegrated and I have packed in some gravel and held it in place with a board held in with stakes until I figure out how to proceed. As a remodeler and carpenter I really have not had much experience with hardscape and am doing this as a favor. What can I do to make the driveway base stable and proceed compacting the base and installing my forms for the walkway? Please help!

tthomass
07-20-2007, 06:33 PM
Why not just let the concrete pour under the drive 6" again?

icecat14
07-21-2007, 12:11 AM
The problem I am running into is that in the afternoon heat the driveway slowly sags down where the void is. I have gravel compacted with a board holding it in place to keep it from sagging for the time being. I just wasn't sure whether not being able to prepare the base the same way for this area willl be an issue. Should I use a little concrete to hold the gravel in place until I compact the rest of the base and then have the ready mix delivered?

tthomass
07-21-2007, 04:05 PM
You're talking about a 6" edge of the driveway where the walk meets right? If it sags now then forget the gravel and just pour the concrete under the asphault. About as solid of a base as you'll get.

icecat14
07-21-2007, 05:22 PM
ok. that sounds good. just wanted to bounce that off some others out there to make sure that I am doing this best. Thanks.

tthomass
07-21-2007, 05:51 PM
Yeah you're golden. If its just gravel under the drive it will continue to settle vs compacted 21A/CR16.