PDA

View Full Version : JD Z445 vs Toro Z5040

alta40
07-20-2007, 02:55 PM
Time to buy a ZTR mower for my 4 acres. Due to dealer support (or lack off)
I have narrowed my choices down to the John Deere Z445 and the Toro
Z5040. Price (here in Canada) the same, HP, deck size about the same.
One advantage of the Toro to me is the foot assist for lifting the deck, handy for going over the many large rocks I have just protruding from the ground.
If anyone can pass on some further knowledge on these 2 mowers it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Alta

Capemay Eagle
07-22-2007, 11:24 AM
It's just my opinion. But have you looked at any Hustlers yet. To me the John Deere Residential are just so cheesy, as well as the Toro residential. Check out a Hustler Fastrak 20/54 you will see the difference. If your not sold on the Huster, the Scag Freedom Z is a great machine too. Both of these Z's are in the five thousand category, a few hundred more than the Deere, but a whole lot better..

alta40
07-22-2007, 02:55 PM
Nearest Scag dealer is 6 hours away (Calgary), nearest Hustler dealer is 12 hours away (Montana). Some dealers 2 hours away carry some of the "better"
brands, but drop and add them quite often it seems, I don't consider that situation to be reliable. I have been looking for a good used commercial machine, but no luck yet. Before I would buy a new commercial machine, I will hire someone to do the mowing and drink beer watching him. :)
What ever I buy will only get about 3-4 hours per week use on it for at most 6months a year, we had snow on the ground for 6 months last winter.