PDA

View Full Version : Zone 9 Privacy screen help pls

JamesMu
07-20-2007, 10:35 PM
I am looking for suggestions on what to plant for a Privacy screen. I live in n/e FL. I want something that is low Maintenance and hardie. I want to plant it along a wire fence line of a pasture that will have cows in it. I want them to be thick but no taller then 4 to 8 feet (6 feet would be perfect.). I would also like to be able clean out from under them about 6 inchs to a foot so it will be easy to weed eat under them. I am just looking to block the few is all i really want to do. But I dont want them real tall and I Really don't want a privacy fence. Any suggestions Please as I have never done one of these before.

cgaengineer
07-20-2007, 10:49 PM
How about verigated privit? You will have to keep them trimmed for height, but they grow well in sun and shade and they make a very thick hedge row. Verigate privit is also a fast grower...if you get 3 gallon plants they will be the size you specify (4-5 feet) in about 2 years.

Lots of people dont like these plants, but I really do...they grow fast, they are hardy, and stay green year round. With a little trimming they will bush out like crazy. As far as trimming underneath...I dont think you will have to do this if you let them grow to the ground.

ProMo
07-21-2007, 09:28 AM
for low maintenance do a search on florida natives. Most natives will do well with no irrigation and will also attract wildlife