PDA

View Full Version : Marvel Mystery Oil

vipermanz
09-02-2001, 03:54 AM
Anybody got tha lowdown on the stuff?

John DiMartino
09-02-2001, 09:20 AM
Ive used it on worn out engines with loose bearings to keep the oil pressure a little higher,i dont know if it helped or not,since i never put it in a perfectly good engine.

Guido
09-02-2001, 09:25 AM
Good For everything type of lube!!

Thats why its a mystery!

Richard Martin
09-02-2001, 09:54 AM
Some people are using it to quite noisy Kohler lifters. They say it works.

mowerconsultant
09-02-2001, 12:11 PM
ummmmm........
Can we say scam boys and girls ????????

Later
Pj

Cleve
09-02-2001, 01:28 PM
Don't believe would be considered in the "scam" class. This stuff has been around for too long. I even have a couple cans on my garage shelf. Is good for most anything that needs lube or a little extra "treatment".
Put a few drops in your air tools, or even in the gas tank.
As above stated, I haven't put it in anything new but would not be afraid to.
Cleve.

Robert Doubrava
09-02-2001, 02:28 PM
my dad uses it in his pickup's engine, i am not sure if it works or not. :blob3: :alien:

jeffyr
09-02-2001, 04:45 PM
I haven't used it.

But my old CJ had chattery lifters and a quart of Rislone at each change kept them quiet for over 30,000+ miles. I sold it and it kept on running.

jeffyr

khouse
09-02-2001, 07:19 PM
I was an auto mecanic for 12 years and we used Rislone engine treatment for noisy lifters. You could add Rislone and sometimes they would quiet down in 10 minutes. I know it works. In only the worst cases did it not work. I would say it worked 4 out of 5 times.

Cleve
09-02-2001, 09:08 PM
Interesting how someone could ask a question about Marvel Mystery Oil and start getting answers about Rislone...?
Noting similar about the two products.
Cleve.

khouse
09-02-2001, 09:18 PM
My answer was in general to engine additives. I believe Marvel is an additive. It was brought up that it may be a scam. I don't know if it is or not but I have used additives in the past with good results. I have added STP in engines where there is some bearing noise and it did well. I have added Risilone to engines with noisy lifters and leaking seals. It hase done well also. I think most additives are fine and probably the Marvel is fine also. Maybe theres a consumer report on Marvel?

Sammy
09-03-2001, 02:38 AM
I put MMO in the oil and gas on the z-turn with every oil change.

I had a stuck lifter in my 3/4 Bowtie at around 70,000 miles. Put in a quart of Rislone in her and now she has 204,000 miles on her. :D :cool:

General Grounds
09-03-2001, 06:36 PM
:blob3: :blob4: :blob1: MMO, great stuff put a shot glass full in all my mowers once a wek w a full tank of gas as well w/ my oil changes. Been putting in my 22hp command for 6 years and that engine now has 3102 hrs on it, and does'nt smoke or burn oil. GREAT #$$%. T

Jman
09-04-2001, 09:58 AM
Marvel Mystery oil has been around for years. The shop I used to work in had used it many times for noisey lifters. MMO even made an upper end lubrication kit that would very slowly provide a drip thru the carb to lubricate the upper end of an engine. I believe in the product and some of the others as well. You never know until you try it.

09-06-2001, 02:37 AM
Marvel Mystery Oil is just as its name implies. If I were you, I'd go out and buy a case of X-1R (NASA Endorsed). And, while we're at it, let's pour a pint of STP in our expensive engines. Oh yeah, I don't think I'll have the time to come see you at the poor house.

vipermanz
09-06-2001, 02:44 AM
where'd you come from anyway??

i tryed it jman and it does make quite a difference in howit runs, it's much smoother, thanks for the info!

Jman
09-06-2001, 10:02 AM
vipermanz,
What engine did you try it in?

vipermanz
09-06-2001, 10:31 AM
lawnboy 2 cycle, i noticed a difference in the engines idle and accelaration to the dip in power when i engage the blade(bbc)

09-07-2001, 02:05 AM
Cleve,

Both products are junk. Go check out the what's in them and tell me what you find! I'm surprised you would think that any oil additive will work better than what the majors provide.

khouse
09-07-2001, 09:46 AM
www, I can understand that you think additives are junk. i didn't believe in them either. i an a ASE certified master tech. when i first started wrenching my boss had been using Rislone. i thought to myself that if additived were so good why doesn't OEM's put it in to begin with. after seeing it for myself. i believe in them now. have you ever added Heet to your gas in the winter, stop leak in a radiator, diesel fuel conditioner to diesel, liquid tire sealant to tires? most people thought this stuff wasn't going to work but we know that it does.

captdevo
09-07-2001, 03:53 PM

You seem to be on top of it all!!!

A knowledgeable person as yourself must have "been there, did that"

Do you use injection cleaner? What type of oil do you use in your equipment? Whichever is cheapest?

Tell us the problems you've experienced with MMO, Rislone or any additives for that matter.

I've used it to remove moisture in fuel? (Alcohol works too)

I have used MMO for cleaning fuel injectors in small horsepower gas and diesel engines for years. We even use it from time to time for fuel additive on our 3500 horsepower Mercedes diesels on the riverboat i work on for cleaning injectors and stabilizing fuel in the winter.

NEVER any problems after the use, numerous problems before.

I've winterized all my equipment (including my outboards) with it for over 20 years, seems to work well.

I have soaked engines and parts that were seized and something sure loosened them.

hmmm... wonder what?

Please tell us why we are so stupid for using these products!!

Cleve
09-07-2001, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by www
Cleve,
Both products are junk. Go check out the what's in them and tell me what you find! I'm surprised you would think that any oil additive will work better than what the majors provide

I recognize that there are lots of "junk" out there but not all can be classified as such. I've used plenty of additives that I feel helped.
I even used STP. One reason I believe in that product was an experience while handloading bullets many years ago. You can't use the typical lubricant to size a case as it will just sieze in the die. A little STP on the case rim and it was like butter in the die. Got to be something extra there for it to do that.
Anyway, I would appreciate you knowing me better before suggesting I'm stupid.
37 years in heavy manufacturing with the last 20+ as plant engineer difinitely would not be classified as stupid.
Cleve.

Eric ELM
09-07-2001, 10:11 PM
There WAS a couple of personal attacks on this thread. Please read the Posting Guidelines and especially the part about personal attacks. We do no allow this on Lawnsite.com